PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Has anyone done the math on how many craps you can take with an average roll of toilet paper? Some of these people must be constantly eating beans and hot dogs along with the odd chicken vindaloo to get through that amount. I remember when I was at boarding school the bog roll was made by the Elsinol company and the stuff was like grease proof paper. I always had my own personal roll of soft bog paper and extra rolls for trade/sale if necessary.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Demand is not unlimited, even now. I have no demand for more paper products, and I have what wouldn't last a typical family even a week. I use sponges to clean up liquids, newspaper to drain bacon, etc. etc., and tp

Indeed there'll be —and is now—a temporary bulge in demand as the panic buyers and hoarders fill their coffers. The supply chain got choked in many places, and it'll take a month or two to recover.

But, after the bulge, actual use of tp will go back to normal. Maybe there'll be a slight drop off as some use fewer tissues per "session". Maybe some will increase their use to mark the end of the disruption. The increase in production will have taken care of the hoarders.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
As I mentioned in another thread, we have 3 TP factories in Western Canada. They have ramped up production to meet the higher demand. Our larger Walmarts and Costco are now starting to have TP and paper towel on the shelves again. They are both limiting to 1 package per family. Smaller stores still haven’t had any when I was there. Was able to purchase TP and paper towel this weekend for the first time in a month.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
I probably have 6-8 rolls somewhere around the house, and am not worried. Ex-wife used a half a roll a day, but doesn't live here anymore.

What really chaps my hide is the bread hoarders. May they all experience mold.
They have us reduced to carry out food and growlers at the brewpub now. When pizzas aren't moving as fast we proof up the left over dough and make bread loaves the next day before we stoke the pizza oven up to temperature. Those loaves are the fastest thing we have going these days. I wasn't even aware bread was being hoarded until I saw the demand for our bread. Fortunately people are grabbing some beer to go with the bread.
15855226394256943694797832541248.png

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I remember when I was at boarding school the bog roll was made by the Elsinol company and the stuff was like grease proof paper.
Reminds me of the toilet paper at the London Musical Club in Holland Park. I'd never seen anything like it before, and nothing like it since. I suppose it was made to be washed for reuse.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Arhh. That my friend is tracing paper bog roll not to be confused with the medicated grease proof non stick variety manufactured by the much maligned 'Elsinol' company. I always remember after a week of boiled eggs that one morning at assembly in early November Matron proudly announced that 'Year Three's' underwear was much improved that week. It really boggled the mind that such statistics were actually collected but such institutions were once the cradle from which sprang Empire builders! rotf

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You Jay are a genius. You have just plumbed the depths of my memory and I remember Izal bog roll. In fact that is what I was referring to when I misnamed the wretched product Elsonal which I think was/is a disinfectant ant not dissimilar to Jeyes fluid.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Not only did aunt Violet & uncle Horace have Izal toilet paper, they had no TV, no radio, no bugger all really. They weren't poor, far from it, they were members of some weird religious group that eschewed anything regarded as 'luxurious' including soft toilet paper!

That Blackadder episode where Edmond is visited by his distant relatives the uber religious Whiteadders so much reminds me of aunt Violet & uncle Horace.

"At home, Nathaniel sits on a spike!"

Simon, I recall as a child going on a train journey up North from Sheffield and somewhere about Barnsley way (you smelled it afore you saw it) was the huge Izal factory just by the rail line. It was about half a mile long!!!

Regards,

Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.