PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I’m glad they have an active presence on a platform other than their own website. I still wish it was on YT, but that’s a convenience thing for me personally because I frequent YT and not the other platforms. I’m happy to see that they got their library of videos uploaded to Vimeo as well as the new uploads.

I’m still curious what the driving force(s) behind their choice to leave the platform.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’m glad they have an active presence on a platform other than their own website. I still wish it was on YT, but that’s a convenience thing for me personally because I frequent YT and not the other platforms. I’m happy to see that they got their library of videos uploaded to Vimeo as well as the new uploads.

I’m still curious what the driving force(s) behind their choice to leave the platform.
I think it's the limitations that come with a free platform (YouTube) vs. a paid platform (Vimeo). YouTube can't/won't make profit on ads with tobacco so they don't have incentive to serve you. Paying Vimeo to host your videos means they're getting the money they want by you staying on their service so will want to make give you the tools and controls you want.

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
Youtube is cracking down on tobacco use videos and creators. Those videos can't be monetized and provide no revenue for Youtube. All of my tobacco videos were deleted.
Makes sense to prepare and make sure the content doesn’t disappear without warning. Also makes sense for an individual to be frustrated about the inability to monetize their content, but I would be surprised if the lack of monetization were a driving force for this particular channel… because they are a retailer, it would make sense that this channel’s purpose was primarily marketing and advertising, not intended to a side stream of revenue. I could be wrong about that, but it was something I thought about also.

The lack of support from the platform that @AroEnglish mentioned is something I had not considered, and also makes sense.

Reactions: AroEnglish

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I understand that the sale of tobacco products is frowned upon by YouTube but I’ve missed every one of their videos since they moved. It’s definitely not as convenient as it once was and I don’t even bother anymore.

Reactions: NomadOrb

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Makes sense to prepare and make sure the content doesn’t disappear without warning. Also makes sense for an individual to be frustrated about the inability to monetize their content, but I would be surprised if the lack of monetization were a driving force for this particular channel… because they are a retailer, it would make sense that this channel’s purpose was primarily marketing and advertising, not intended to a side stream of revenue. I could be wrong about that, but it was something I thought about also.

The lack of support from the platform that @AroEnglish mentioned is something I had not considered, and also makes sense.
I agree that it wasn't about monetizing the content. I'm sure there's a way to monetize views on Vimeo but clearly they're not doing that (at least not visibly).

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Youtube is cracking down on tobacco use videos and creators. Those videos can't be monetized and provide no revenue for Youtube. All of my tobacco videos were deleted.
I have had videos from my channel deleted for inappropriate content simply due to the fact that I was smoking a pipe during the video.

I regularly get flagged because of some of the content I discuss, but to get a video removed just because I was smoking or was displaying tobacco... that's something else entirely.

I'm about done with YouTube.

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
You all realize they have the context of the move in this very thread on page 1………right?
Yes, Andy posted a response back then which vaguely stated that there were issues with the platform that necessitated the move. He also mentioned that they hoped to have a video up with more explanation. They certainly don’t owe anyone anything, so I’m not upset about that, just adding a few comments in hopes that if they intend to produce any explanation, that they know there are still folks discussing what may have happened.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
For a retailer like smokingpipes, I would think that the monetization of the video would be a secondary concern to the main point which would be to advertise the products and services offered by them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For a retailer like smokingpipes, I would think that the monetization of the video would be a secondary concern to the main point which would be to advertise the products and services offered by them.
It's not the monetization for them. Youtube can't make money off of tobacco related videos.

Reactions: FLDRD

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
It's not the monetization for them. Youtube can't make money off of tobacco related videos.
But YouTube does not delete every tobacco related video. I understand that happened to your videos, but there are still a lot of non-monetized tobacco videos on YouTube right now. What I'm getting at is that I don't think Smokingpipes was posting videos on YouTube to make money off of AdSense in the first place. At least not as a primary motivation. They would derive more revenue simply from the benefits of increasing their brand awareness and engagement with pipe smokers.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Can someone please post a link to the youtube video of a guy smashing a tin with a hammer to make it fit in the jar.
That was pure gold.
I can't find it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But YouTube does not delete every tobacco related video. I understand that happened to your videos, but there are still a lot of non-monetized tobacco videos on YouTube right now. What I'm getting at is that I don't think Smokingpipes was posting videos on YouTube to make money off of AdSense in the first place. At least not as a primary motivation. They would derive more revenue simply from the benefits of increasing their brand awareness and engagement with pipe smokers.
They sent out messages about a year ago that any video that couldn't be monetized would eventually be removed. Even those remaining will be buried deep in their algorithms to a point that even subscribers may not get notification of new content. I tried posting a video about lighters last year that was removed the following day along with a strike against my account. SPC's videos are still available, just not on YouTube.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
They sent out messages about a year ago that any video that couldn't be monetized would eventually be removed. Even those remaining will be buried deep in their algorithms to a point that even subscribers may not get notification of new content. I tried posting a video about lighters last year that was removed the following day along with a strike against my account. SPC's videos are still available, just not on YouTube.
See, I get that SmokingPipes.com is being pre-emptive in their measures, and that's just smart business. And yet ...

Cornell & Diehl's YT channel is still live (https://www.youtube.com/@cornelldiehlinc9213), and they just posted a new one about The Beast.

Muttonchop Piper is still available (though nothing new in 7 years).

Mac Baren Tobacco Company still has their channel (but nothing new in 2 years).

Is it accurate to say that none of these can monetize?

Anyway, the inconsistency doesn't make sense.

Reactions: litup