PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I understand, although it’s super frustrating to see all of the videos move because of YT’s censorship (assuming that’s why). Also, the YT format of old videos organized in playlists is/was MUCH easier to look through old content. Hopefully we see them all organized again, whether that’s on YT or elsewhere…

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
They have moved to Vimeo. Smokingpipes - https://vimeo.com/smokingpipes

There are currently just 5 videos there (and only 5 followers!). But all the ones on their Youtube are just gone. And if you filter their blog to the "Video" tag, you can get to the pages with older videos, but they'll probably be unavailable if it isn't one of those 5.

So weird that they'd completely pull them off YT before getting them all on Vimeo.

Reactions: hawky454

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
They have moved to Vimeo. Smokingpipes - https://vimeo.com/smokingpipes

There are currently just 5 videos there (and only 5 followers!). But all the ones on their Youtube are just gone. And if you filter their blog to the "Video" tag, you can get to the pages with older videos, but they'll probably be unavailable if it isn't one of those 5.

So weird that they'd completely pull them off YT before getting them all on Vimeo.
vimeo kind of seems like an odd choice. if youtube is being difficult, i would think rumble or just hosting them on their website would be the best option.

vimeo kind of seems like an odd choice. if youtube is being difficult, i would think rumble or just hosting them on their website would be the best option.
It must be that the software to run video must be very difficult or too large for most servers. I have noticed that we can't post videos here, unless they are hosted elsewhere.

Andy Wike

Lurker
Oct 27, 2022
Hey, guys — Andy Wike from Laudisi here. Sorry for the delay in getting to this thread and apologies for the inconvenience. We are indeed in the process of migrating all of our YouTube content over to Vimeo. We hope to have all of our content ported over and our embeds on the Daily Reader changed by the end November at the very latest. There are a lot of very large files to move around and it's simply taking longer than we expected, so we appreciate your patience.

For added context, we took down all of our content on YouTube when we did to avoid the deletion of the channel. It's complicated, but we hope to post a video explaining the migration very soon. In the meantime, our new video cadence hasn't changed and we're still producing at least one new video a week, which you can find on the Daily Reader or through the Vimeo link shared above.

We chose Vimeo as a YouTube alternative for a number of reasons, but mainly because we found it to be the most analogous in terms of user experience. We never want bandwidth limits to prevent someone from enjoying our content, nor do we want folks to have to suffer through a bunch of ads to figure out who won this month's Mystery Tobacco Review (which btw should be dropping this week!).

I hope that context helps. Thanks!

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Hey, guys — Andy Wike from Laudisi here. Sorry for the delay in getting to this thread and apologies for the inconvenience. We are indeed in the process of migrating all of our YouTube content over to Vimeo. We hope to have all of our content ported over and our embeds on the Daily Reader changed by the end November at the very latest. There are a lot of very large files to move around and it's simply taking longer than we expected, so we appreciate your patience.

For added context, we took down all of our content on YouTube when we did to avoid the deletion of the channel. It's complicated, but we hope to post a video explaining the migration very soon. In the meantime, our new video cadence hasn't changed and we're still producing at least one new video a week, which you can find on the Daily Reader or through the Vimeo link shared above.

We chose Vimeo as a YouTube alternative for a number of reasons, but mainly because we found it to be the most analogous in terms of user experience. We never want bandwidth limits to prevent someone from enjoying our content, nor do we want folks to have to suffer through a bunch of ads to figure out who won this month's Mystery Tobacco Review (which btw should be dropping this week!).

I hope that context helps. Thanks!
thanks, i am really interested in watching the video that explains the reason for migrating.

Reactions: TanJer

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Vimeo is an excellent solution for this and their tools for integration and distribution are superb. Our organization shifted all our archived and new content to them over a year ago and couldn’t be more pleased. (Well, if YT weren’t so difficult to work with, I’d be more pleased 😁) Anyway, it’ll be a minor hiccup then smooth sailing if our experience proves anything 👍

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m just now figuring this out. I was wondering why I wasn’t seeing any new content but each time I started to wonder this, my mind drifted on to the next thought. I actually really love the Mystery Tobacco Reviews and Tasting Notes. They can be long but I never get bored. Glad to see they are getting off the YouTube platform, I hope more follow suit.

Bumping this thread in case anyone else missed this news.