Smoking Pipes and Picking Locks (What's your hobby?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I don't believe the 350 has ever been picked.
Not that I know of. It's been claimed (but likely false) I have tried to forcibly break into mine....yea...not happening. I tried. While you could cut it...would be extremely hard, and a criminal would have a huge signature and likely get spotted. With these it's better to hit the chain/door. 15 foot sparks cutting the shackle/hardened chain is just too obvious.
You get what you pay for I guess...and you have to pay for those for sure.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Yes it would

Had it on a cargo container around the four lever bars on the doors.

Originally got it for my move half-way across the country for the U-Haul door. Thieves love to break-in to 26 U-Hauls or just steal the entire truck. Again, just wanted to slow them down or convince them to seek a softer target. Then repurposed for the cargo container

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Fishing, hunting, hiking, rock climbing and biking are my main non pipe smoking hobbies.
I like to read or play video games while smoking my pipes.
I always wanted to learn to pick locks but never got started. Any tips on getting started picking locks?

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Interesting thread, Tyler! I use to pick locks - nothing fancy, just an on-and-off hobby. I did make eventually start making my own picks, which seems to be a constant in my life: I'm usually more interested in making the tools than in using them :D I assume that's why I'm a programmer...
Anyway, this was before I smoked a pipe, so I never tried them together. Should work well! I left my tools behind when I moved to SF, but I'll start collecting streetwiper-car-bristle to make new ones :)

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Fitzy: there are many, many resources online (though this is probably more confusing than elucidating).
MIT's guide is a classic. This is also interesting.
And making your own picks, while it sounds advanced, is really not that hard, and you'll make picks that will be a lot better than most cheap ones you can find. I made mine based on "Raimundo's Bogota picks", following this, this and this video.
Damn it, now I want to pick locks and smoke a pipe...

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Tyler, I don't pick locks, but I do have a collection of approximately 100 old padlocks.
I enjoy metal detecting, wood carving, reading history, researching American history, buying and selling antiques, and driving my wife crazy.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Smoking is done alone and without other activities. My son would say it give a chance to have a good think.
Otherwise, I am involved in wood turning, home improvements, helping in my wife's garden. My library is fairly large. I also play computer games to excess. Runescape - Skills from 62 to multiple 99's.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Tyler, I don't pick locks, but I do have a collection of approximately 100 old padlocks.
If you ever need one opened I am a state away :) If you buy a lot that are old and have what's called warded locks (like a skeleton key is used in) you may be interested in picking up a set of warded picks. Work similar to a skeleton key, and very easy to use.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm amazed at how many members regard their pipe smoking as a 'hobby'. To me it's a method of smoking that I find relaxing but that's it...I would never regard it as one of my hobbies. Pipe collecting however I would put into that bracket.
My actual hobbies include mineral collecting, particularly micro mineral collecting where the object of interest is measured in millimetres and only visible through a microscope. I also use particular photographic techniques to image my collection.
My interest in philology and the origins of words got me into collecting antique dictionaries which I do actually read...not cover to cover, I just like to browse and see how certain words were defined in times past. I also like to solve and compile cryptic crosswords, that I find to be very relaxing.
Being almost housebound my interests have to suit my situation and therefore may not sound so exciting as some of the hobbies listed above but I enjoy them very much, plus they keep me out of mischief :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree, Jay, about use of "hobby"- doesn't seem smoking is a hobby to me, and my "collection" is haphazard enough to fall outside the range of what I think of as a true hobby.
I think of a hobby as collecting things or building small things. Stamps and model villages come to mind. Pipes of a certain style, vintage, maker, sought after to create or round out a set would be a hobby in my definition. Collecting and cataloging figurines could be a hobby. Jay Leno's hobby is collecting cars, a bit beyond my DI level!
Other definitions of hobby anyone?

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I am usually reading a book, kindle or laptop while smoking my pipes.

Other than smoking my pipes, I enjoy hunting and this time of year, its deer hunting.

Unfortunately, I can't smoke a pipe while deer hunting. A mature whitetail buck is a very suspicious creature and will smell pipe smoke pretty quick.

Pipe smoke is not something he is used to smelling and if he does, he will associate it with humans, so once he gets a whiff of it, you will never get a shot or even see him for that matter.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
John, I couldn't resist consulting Dr. Johnson on his definitions of hobby from 1755.
1: A species of hawk.
2: An Irish or Scottish horse; a pacing horse; a garran.
3: A stick upon which boys get astride and ride.
4: A stupid fellow.

For the contemporary meaning I turned to the OED (2nd edition, vol. VII page 276) where we get...
A favourite occupation or topic, pursued merely for the amusement or interest that it affords, and which is compared to the riding of a toy horse; an individual pursuit to which a person is devoted (in the speaker's opinion) out of proportion to its real importance.
The highlighting is my own.
The earliest recorded use of the term in this regard is 1816 which I was surprised by.
Regards,
Jay.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I find it odd/fascinating how certain people become attracted to certain activities and/or objects. Recently and without much reason, I've apparently become a collector of Montblanc fountain pens. I've just developed an attraction for them. I don't know why. I spend a vast amount of time with multitasking media consumption.

Earlier in my life, I was a serious road cyclist/racer and gym rat. In contrast, while attending Montana State University, I majored in English Literture and minored in the consumption of/distribution of narcotics, specializing in psychedelics/hallucinogens. I also dabbled in small arms distribution. After school, I dabbled in federal law and the American justice system while attending Sierra-Tucson, Hazeldon, and other such institutions.

These days I'm a "professional" surgical patient, specializing in back surgeries, disabled since 2006. Also, I recently purchased a sports car which I very much enjoy driving.

This concludes my past time resume. I hope you'll consider me for a position with your company ;)

Jun 4, 2014
If you ask my wife I have too many hobbies. Shooting, building muzzle loading firearms, wood working, metal working, model trains, home brewing. I'd though about adding firefighting, but that one is more of a vocation then a hobby.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's thanks to this man ^ that I have an awesome tamp! Great metal work!! Also, firefighting counts so long as it's amateur;) although, I once had a grease fire that I fought. Count me in for amateur firefighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.