Smoking Pipes and Picking Locks (What's your hobby?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I have recently begun another hobby, we'll see where it goes. While it has impacted the amount of money spent on pipes/tobacco it pairs with it nicely. I enjoy sitting back with a pipe, working with a lock and doing something tedious. Was just curious if there were any other members here involved in locksport/locksmithing.

Furthermore, if picking locks isn't your thing, what is your favorite hobby while smoking your pipe; or are you one who exclusively smokes and does nothing else?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Fishing.....aka spending more time untangling the kids lines, baiting, and taking fish off.
It gets easier as they get older. I might actually get a few casts in one day.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Me, I'm either on my laptop, reading or watching tv, pretty much in that order. I'm not much of a clencher, so if I'm working with my hands I usually don't smoke a pipe.
As far as other hobbies, I've been into traditional photography for over 40 years, but again, can't have a pipe in my mouth when looking through a camera, and smoking in the darkroom is a no-no.

I am a jeweler, gemologist, and rockhound by trade. I am a volunteer debate coach for a local school. I hunt, fish, and garden for subsistence. I am a mediocre commercial farmer. This summer I started restoring touring and mountain bikes, and the wife and I have started riding rails to trails for extended overnight bikepacking trips. We've been planning to ride the panhandle of Florida from Mobile to Panama City,and we ride daily to get in shape for riding all day long for the 180 mile trip. Before I traded cigarettes for the pipe, I was almost 100 pounds overweight, couldn't breath to walk up stairs, and now I have a whole new wardrobe of clothes and am preparing for that, ha ha. Pipes have been the best thing to ever happen to me.
Anyways, I have a lot of things going on, and I don't think of these things as hobbies as much as lifestyles. I am not the type of person who could work a 9-5, so I've had to just figure out a way to mix my pleasures with business, and so far I think I've been successful. You just have to let go of security, and go with the flow.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I'm a pretty serious knife collector.. fixed and folding, factory and custom. Sharpening, stropping, and refurbing are all pretty zen activities. Throw in a pipe and you're really relaxing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I often have a pipe in my mouth when peering through my D5, shooting wildlife. Right eye to the finder, pipe out the left of the mouth. I've no real hobbies, my limited woodworking is more an avocation. The pipe is merely a nicotine delivery system a bit different from cigarettes, set up time, all the paraphernalia, etc. There are times though, when I fully enjoy the pipe experience, usually in the evening with a book and a bit of port or cognac. The pipe is often a nice adjunct to the evening ritual.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I smoke my pipes while working in my office, driving, watching games at the bar, reading....hell, I guess I'm almost always smoking a pipe.
My hobbies are amateur pipe restoration and tying flies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
RC helicopters, leather bound books, and antique shaving items. Oh, wait a minute, I collect spores, molds, and fungus. :mrgreen:
spengler_400x400.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like to pair pipesmoking with reading, laptopping, or doing nothing else at all. Airbags got me away from piping while driving.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No experience with airbags yet, so smoking in the car while driving is heaven to me. Also, with laptop combined with football, both American and European; baseball; and hockey seem to go well and the odd sport from time to time (lacrosse, curling, olympics). And walking, either me and or the dogs.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Let me see, other than smoking pipes and collecting them.. I read, write, play video games, collect coins and stamps and do photography

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Pipe smoking has become my biggest hobby since I started 4 years ago. Other than that I am an avid guitar player. Been playing for 20+ years. Martin, Gibson, Alvarez.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
When I'm smoking, I'm usually reading. If I'm not reading I'm lost in thought just enjoying the smoke. My other hobbies include collecting pipe smoking and tobacco related books, magazines, rare and interesting tins etc.. Also, I enjoy fly fishing and I collect books on various subjects.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
When I smoke pipe, I'm pretty much just smoking the pipe. I am interested to hear how you go into lock picking though Tyler. That sounds like a pretty cool hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.