Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I don't like hanging around in my bed. I only ever do one of two things there, and smoking isn't one. However, I have a comfy chair right next to my bed where I smoke the strongest blends of my day just before sleep. Burley Flake #1 or a rope, I just smoke till my eyes get heavy and I can just set my pipe down and roll over into sleep. I've been doing this for years, after decades of fighting insomnia. Strong tobaccos just beats having to take a pill to get off to slumberland.
You beat me to it by a second!

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I don't like hanging around in my bed. I only ever do one of two things there, and smoking isn't one. However, I have a comfy chair right next to my bed where I smoke the strongest blends of my day just before sleep. Burley Flake #1 or a rope, I just smoke till my eyes get heavy and I can just set my pipe down and roll over into sleep. I've been doing this for years, after decades of fighting insomnia. Strong tobaccos just beats having to take a pill to get off to slumberland.
More or less do the same. A strong blend right before bed sends me off to sleep nicely.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Please smoke in bed, please leave lightweight combustibles around. Please transfer gas with a Dry-Vac. Please line your walls with cardboard. Please use more candles near drapes. Please BBQ in your living room with briquettes.

Please do everything that keeps me on the hop.

Okay, I’m a fire investigator. I’ve lost track of stupid. You’re a grown ass adult and you can make all the silly choices to want, but I’d recommend you think about it.

But hey, what do I know, I’m only in control of myself.

Although, and I’ll leave you with this, I worked a fatal today that was a bedroom fire. Smoking in bed was the cause.
I hate to ask such a morbid question, but do alcohol and/or sedatives generally play a role in these types of deaths? I try to imagine how someone could sleep through a fire in their own bed until it reaches the point that it kills them.

Reactions: canucklehead

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have on occasions sat in bed, actually sitting up, but I am acutely aware of the hazard of falling asleep or "resting my eyes" that could lead to catastrophe. My wife has limited mobility, so that is an extra risk. Smoking inside is its own hazard, so go carefully. My wife calls me "the safety officer," so I'm just doing my job.

A lot of bedding is highly flammable, despite all claims. warren makes a good point about companion animals that may not know have the best plans to evacuate a burning building.

Safety first.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I hate to ask such a morbid question, but do alcohol and/or sedatives generally play a role in these types of deaths? I try to imagine how someone could sleep through a fire in their own bed until it reaches the point that it kills them.
Almost all fire deaths are due to suffocation, and not the actual flames burning them. That is how you can sleep and be oxygen deprived and not wake up.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
There's something about mattresses, especially older ones I think. My grandma was moving house and we were all called to help, this was about 25 years ago.

She'd sort of hung her mattress over the railing of the balcony to air out in the sun first thing in the morning, truck was meant to come in the afternoon. Some guys were doing some refinishing of balcony railings in a floor above, using an angle grinder, we didn't pay any attention.

Hours later the mattress started burning, totally out of the blue. Didn't produce any smoke that we noticed, just suddenly started burning from a corner. We figured a spark from the grinding above landed on it and somehow managed to develop into a fire which smoldered before becoming intense enough to produce flames.
The catch is that although we pulled the mattress and dumped loads of water on the fire, about an hour later it managed to rekindle itself. The worst thing, which could have developed in a disaster is that my grandma's balcony overlooked a garden full of pine trees, with a thick layer of pine needles on the ground, could have been a real disaster for the whole block. Nobody was hurt but never looked at a mattress the same way again, wouldn't bring anything resembling a flame near one!

Wonder what @ashdigger makes of this story as a professional.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Almost all fire deaths are due to suffocation, and not the actual flames burning them. That is how you can sleep and be oxygen deprived and not wake up.
Yes buy the fire ostensibly begins in the bed. Where you're sleeping. I assume some portion of you would be burnt into waking up before enough combustible material has had an opportunity to suffocate you.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
There's something about mattresses, especially older ones I think. My grandma was moving house and we were all called to help, this was about 25 years ago.

She'd sort of hung her mattress over the railing of the balcony to air out in the sun first thing in the morning, truck was meant to come in the afternoon. Some guys were doing some refinishing of balcony railings in a floor above, using an angle grinder, we didn't pay any attention.

Hours later the mattress started burning, totally out of the blue. Didn't produce any smoke that we noticed, just suddenly started burning from a corner. We figured a spark from the grinding above landed on it and somehow managed to develop into a fire which smoldered before becoming intense enough to produce flames.
The catch is that although we pulled the mattress and dumped loads of water on the fire, about an hour later it managed to rekindle itself. The worst thing, which could have developed in a disaster is that my grandma's balcony overlooked a garden full of pine trees, with a thick layer of pine needles on the ground, could have been a real disaster for the whole block. Nobody was hurt but never looked at a mattress the same way again, wouldn't bring anything resembling a flame near one!

Wonder what @ashdigger makes of this story as a professional.
There are several different factors that come into play here. The first that comes to mind is regulation surrounding the types of materials that can be legally used in bedding material. Where and when the mattress was purchased may have played some part. Also I was very surprised to find you still haven't smoked the tins I sent you! :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.