PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Unbelievable... Not ONE of you guys except me and Brother @telescopes owns a smoking jacket?!?!

I mean, yes, @Grangerous I can understand... but, the rest of you? Not one?

Here is my vintage 1966 State-O-Maine satin smoking jacket, with James Bond-style shaw collar, turn-back cuffs, lined slash pockets (1 chest, 2 side) with satin piping, and belt sash.
View attachment 211838

Didn't you guys watch Playboy After Dark, or Sneak-a-Peek into your old man's Penthouse mags and learn what a Gentleman of Leisure should have as part of wardrobe????? - Sherm " Swanky " Natman

Unless you’re going for the Donald Sutherland-opening-a-high-cabinet look, kindly wear pants.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I remember when I was a kid finding my dads burgundy velvet smoking jacket in the attic. We had a huge attic that you could stand up and walk around in, and there was a clothes rack with some odds and ends on it and there is where I found it. I didn't know what it was for so I asked him and he said that when he was younger he hung out with some friends that Joined the DeMolay, a Masonic youth organization. I guess it was popular to smoke cigarettes while wearing a smoking jacket. He was so skinny that even when I was wearing a size 36 jacket in high school I couldn't fit into it.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I remember when I was a kid finding my dads burgundy velvet smoking jacket...
This is actually quite correct... and good ones are The Bomb, and quite pricey.

The one I have is not Velvet; but rather, silk and satin, short cut, in the Mid-Sixties 'mod' style which Hefner made so famous.

However, actual Velvet of GOOD quality - especially in the full-length cut with quilting - smoking jackets are incredible.
full_length.jpg

Not "Swanky" like mine; but rather, pure Refined Class - Sherm Natman

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I love the idea of a smoking jacket and plan on getting one eventually. In fact, one of the things that promoted me to take up pipe smoking was an idea that a friend of mine had when we were both officers at the Elks Lodge. He thought we should get smoking jackets and pipes and turn a section of the Lodge into our own little throwback to earlier times, when the Elks were a drinking club known as the Jolly Corks. Of course smoking is not allowed at the Lodge, but simply wearing the smoking jackets and having unlit pipes would have been enough to set the tone and get a reaction from people.

We never followed through on the idea, but I did take up pipe smoking and I so still plan to get the smoking jacket, and the little hat to go with it. Maybe the Jolly Corks plan will still happen too at some point.

When our Lodge banned smoking back in the 1990s it lost almost half of its membership. It was a contentious issue that fractured the Lodge, and the ban occurred long before the State stepped in and banned all indoor smoking. It took years for Lodge membership numbers to rebound, and it almost ended the Lodge completely.

Back in the day even the Exalted Ruler smoked a pipe.

7A530B0A-0172-4091-B2D5-8C2A1088A78D.jpeg

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
This is actually quite correct... and good ones are The Bomb, and quite pricey.

The one I have is not Velvet; but rather, silk and satin, short cut, in the Mid-Sixties 'mod' style which Hefner made so famous.

However, actual Velvet of GOOD quality - especially in the full-length cut with quilting - smoking jackets are incredible.
View attachment 211857

Not "Swanky" like mine; but rather, pure Refined Class - Sherm Natman

Note the hospital green psych ward bracelet. A recent discharge or walk-a-way wearing mother’s bathrobe.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I have a true smoking jacket, but primarily wear a hoodie.

Why a jacket? Certain reasons, but primarily I like the style. Also, it was on clearance and in my large American size.

Is it necessary? No more than having multiple pipes, different lighters, soft bits, a pipe rack, or other smoking accessories; except a jacket is also functional without smoking.

And besides, there is nothing wrong with having style or being the nicest dressed in the room (whereas if you are the smartest one in the room, you are in the wrong room).

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Not that expensive ...:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I love the idea of a smoking jacket and plan on getting one eventually. In fact, one of the things that promoted me to take up pipe smoking was an idea that a friend of mine had when we were both officers at the Elks Lodge. He thought we should get smoking jackets and pipes and turn a section of the Lodge into our own little throwback to earlier times, when the Elks were a drinking club known as the Jolly Corks. Of course smoking is not allowed at the Lodge, but simply wearing the smoking jackets and having unlit pipes would have been enough to set the tone and get a reaction from people.

We never followed through on the idea, but I did take up pipe smoking and I so still plan to get the smoking jacket, and the little hat to go with it. Maybe the Jolly Corks plan will still happen too at some point.

When our Lodge banned smoking back in the 1990s it lost almost half of its membership. It was a contentious issue that fractured the Lodge, and the ban occurred long before the State stepped in and banned all indoor smoking. It took years for Lodge membership numbers to rebound, and it almost ended the Lodge completely.

Back in the day even the Exalted Ruler smoked a pipe.

View attachment 211858
I think telescopes or whatever (I suck with names) has that pipe. I think it's a medico.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Not that expensive ...:

Depends on quality of the workmanship, quality of the Velvet, the weight of the cloth per square inch, quality of the lining, fabric weave, etc. lot's of factors reflected in the price which is not always apparent until you examine the goods in hand. - Sherm "Your Friendly Haberdasher" Natman

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
I generally don’t like to flaunt my wealth but since I’m a brand floozy and none of you can afford it anyway, yes, a Hanes black zippered hoodie. It’s got a YKK zipper so its just oozing class. I’d post a photo but I’d like to keep my distinctive “vagrant chic” vibe all to myself