Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dr. Internet

Might Stick Around
What is this 'Navy grade two coffee' you speak of?
Real Navy coffee can only be had at sea, on a surface ship, not a sub or bird farm.
The Navy brew starts out like this:
1705425060340.png
The grades of Navy coffee:
Grade 1 (the best) is always freshly brewed by the 'black gang' or engineering snipes that live in the engine room; the strongest, freshest blend, with just a hint of Diesel.
Grade 2 (very good) is to be found in the crew's mess, around 0430 (that's 4:30 a.m.) shortly after it is brewed.
Grade 3 (edible) things go downhill as this coffee has been 'warming' on the hot plate since 0420 and it is now 1030. Drinkable, but nasty.
Grade 4, aka Java, should not be drunk by anyone, but is left on the burner for boots and severely hung-over CPOs.
Grade 5, aka paint remover, is old Java cut with a little kerosene or JP4, and used to remove stubborn paint that resists the chipper. Care must be taken as it has been reported that, in some instances, it will actually melt steel if not washed over the side quickly. Also, it is drunk by Chief Bosuns Mates, with no apparent harm.

I hope this answers your question.
S Wilson ET(R)2, '69-'75

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Real Navy coffee can only be had at sea, on a surface ship, not a sub or bird farm.
The Navy brew starts out like this:
View attachment 280091
The grades of Navy coffee:
Grade 1 (the best) is always freshly brewed by the 'black gang' or engineering snipes that live in the engine room; the strongest, freshest blend, with just a hint of Diesel.
Grade 2 (very good) is to be found in the crew's mess, around 0430 (that's 4:30 a.m.) shortly after it is brewed.
Grade 3 (edible) things go downhill as this coffee has been 'warming' on the hot plate since 0420 and it is now 1030. Drinkable, but nasty.
Grade 4, aka Java, should not be drunk by anyone, but is left on the burner for boots and severely hung-over CPOs.
Grade 5, aka paint remover, is old Java cut with a little kerosene or JP4, and used to remove stubborn paint that resists the chipper. Care must be taken as it has been reported that, in some instances, it will actually melt steel if not washed over the side quickly. Also, it is drunk by Chief Bosuns Mates, with no apparent harm.

I hope this answers your question.
S Wilson ET(R)2, '69-'75
Delicious. Grade 2 does indeed sound like the best option.

Reactions: yanoJL

PaulDM

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
Never first thing. I will occasionally smoke in the car (a mild hazlenut aro) to make the long commute more bearable, and in the summer on my deck with coffee after a workout.

spearheadbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2023
Long Beach
My morning pipe is my favorite of the day. Give my cat a spoonful of half and half, pour my coffees and sit down and pack a bowl. I like it strong in the morning to get that nic hit. Usually dark plug, happy bogie or semois. Read the bad news on the lapper and then another bowl on my drive to first inspection. Snuff is always in the picture.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
My a.m. routine is to get up hours before sunrise, and within 15 min. I'm out with a pipe I've just loaded or one I had that has significant "dottle" or leftover, and I walk for about 30 min. Back in for coffee, anagram, chess puzzle, NBA highlights, late night tv 'comedy' highlights, some blog browsing and back out for another pipe within an hour or so and another 30 minute walk. I do that most of the day. My nicotine addiction has abated to a degree, and my taste buds are working like champions these days so I really enjoy my tobacco flavors.
This a.m. it's only showing 39 degrees outside and although I do have my woolen long johns on in preparation for my usual, I'm sitting here smoking INSIDE, and having second thoughts about getting myself chilled. I know I'll get out there in a minute or so, but, it's not a typical FL morning. I'm smoking some Match VIP and it's basically a codger burley blend with a nice rough shag cut. Using my LHS Certified Purex smooth Author to burn it just now.
Ya, I retired in 2013, and I'm 75. I took up the pipe in 2014. It has been life changing and I think, for 'the better'.

Attachments

• WIN_20240117_03_00_09_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240117_03_00_09_Pro.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Douglas

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2023
Georgia, USA
I always have my first pipe on the way to work. That is usually about an hour after I wake up. Almost always an English, usually Arango Balkan Supreme. Sometimes Carter Hall but not often. Its only a twenty minute drive but I can continue to smoke at work so I’m able take my time.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I'm not retired, and though I get up at a decent time, I cannot afford time to the pipe or a cigar first thing, at least not on a workday. My preferred time for smoking is usually in the evening just after supper. It's a great way to treat oneself for completing the chores and duties of the day, and to also take the opportunity to slow down and relax and reflect.

That being said, on the rare occasion I plan out what I think of as a "proper breakfast," a pipe has proven to be a sublime accompaniment. Three eggs over easy, muffins, bacon, maybe some green beans or fruit for variety's sake, a hot pot of English Breakfast with some real honey, and a nice pipe filled with a nice burley or oriental blend. And to enjoy such a breakfast at a perfectly languid pace in perfect solitude. I don't do this often, but when I do, I feel rejuvenated.

One of the bitter ironies I'm dealing with right now is that I am off all week this week, but I am also recovering from oral surgery. I'm recovering nicely, but I can't enjoy a pipe or crispy bacon anytime soon, alas. I try not to complain. After all, modern dentistry is a real miracle, and my surgery couldn't have gone better. But man, this thread has me jonesin' for a proper breakfast something fierce! :LOL: