PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
59 in July. Forced out of the workforce by an arthritic back. I am happily divorced . Have three grown daughters. I collect and restore pipes. Now I make a few as well. Love antiques and History (mainly Viking age ) and do a bit of blacksmith work and knife making. When I am able I am an active member of the SCA. Born and raised in Wisconsin. Lived briefly in Ohio and the Pacific Northwest. I like it here!

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
ok here goes! im 54 live at nj shore and currently on disability from a diving accident when 20yo.....attennded uconn and worked as pharmacist till recently and enjoy my huskies basketball teams.....my favorite activity is floating in my pool chair(as i look out at 3 feet of snow)in the summer smoking a good cigar(pipe smoker in the winter)married to my wonderful wife Linda and our recent new puppy rescued from a kill shelter in tennesse. we have travelled to almost each east coast state beaches from maine to fla.currently puffing on some balkan supreme in my pipe and wishing the snow would melt sometime this century

gutsplitter

Lurker
Jan 13, 2011
I think I'm gonna like this forum.....post occasionally on Motorcycle forums...but this seems more relaxed & low key, perhaps the way I feel after a pipe??
I'm 54, a general surgeon, Navy brat (proud of my Dad who served 34 years, mostly in subs, was in Tokyo Bay when surrender was signed), went to school at Wake Forest in NC both undergrad & med school - married an amazing NC girl almost 32 years ago. I went into the USN, did my training at Portsmouth, did a year on the USS Coral Sea - then got out in 1990 because I couldn't operate enough in the Navy. Practiced in Orange Park, FL for four years before we got tired of the rat race, 85 hour weeks, and missing my family - moved to southern CO in 1994 and have been doing "rural" surgery ever since. We just moved to north-central WA state 70 miles south of BC in 2007 - slower job, salary, nice four seasons, longer riding weather than CO. We have 3 grown kids - 2 girls and 1 boy still finishing up college in IL. 2 grandkids back in CO way too far away for Grandma. I love motorcycles - a result of my severe mid life crisis about 10 years ago - have a VTX1800, Goldwing, and a BMW R1150GS. For those who don't know the lingo - that is a loud one, a comfortable one (did >1000 miles in one day last year on the Wing) and one that will go anywhere. Do my own maintenence as part of the fun. We also have a truck camper & 4 wheelers, love to fish & kind of have quit hunting since we left CO and all the elk.
Great forum - thanks to all the contributors & the moderators!

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
I am 59 years old and live in Millington,TN. I have been married for 34 years and have two grown children and 4 grandchildren. I am a regional sales manager for a veterinary Pharmaceutical company,I have worked there 34 years.I love to hunt and fish. I collect knives and duck and turkey calls. Johnny Walker Black is my preferred adult beverage.Love all kinds of music but especially the 50's and 60's rock.

jsharp

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2010
Dandridge, TN
I just turned 32 three days ago. I've been happily married since I was 18 years old. I have two beautiful daughters (10, 7). I enjoy playing golf, going to the beach and teaching my Sunday School class at church. In my spare time I write a blog in which I discuss my thoughts about the Bible. Blog link Give it a read if you have the time.

riverchaopraya

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2011
I'm going to be 39 this March. Happily unmarried (never wanted to, never will). I read a whole lot, mostly philosophy and literature, but actually anything I can get my hands on. A philosophy professor. The sole woman pipe smoker in the country. I like culture, religious ideas (all), arts and crafts. My ultimate favorite time is an evening by the Chaopraya river in Bangkok, debating with friends about ideas and politics, drinking wine, and smoking pipe. I romanticize the fact that human beings have progressed, and we stand on shoulders of our ancestors. Even small thing like pipe smoking, involves such delicate art, proficient know-how, and rich cultures, both in the making and the enjoying of pipes and tobacco. Pipe smoking is perfect example of how we enjoy the fruit of collective knowledge embedded in the societies which have been around for a long time. So I think the governments, yours and mine, have a duty to promote pipe smoking and not trying in so many ways to ban it. That's where I stand. :)

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
I came to Wisconsin 22 years ago to work as a beekeeper (though it is not my day job anymore) and still keep 40 hives of honeybees. The bee's fund my "hobbies." I love living here especially in the summer. I am 52 years old and have been married 30 years this year. I have 2 daughters and 1 son. The girls have given us 5 grandchildren. I enjoy the pipe smoking hobby and am new and learning a lot from all of you on the forum. I am beginning my last semester on obtaining my Associates degree in computer networking and help desk work. Currently I am a fulltime student.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Well, why not join in the fun!

I was born in Arizona. Where I burnt myself a LOT (apparently) until my family moved up to Oregon was I was ~2. Since then I have never had any desire to leave the Pacific Northwest!

I'm 20, have been smoking pipes for about a year now, and attend Portland State. I'm going to major in business, once I manage to dissuade PSU of the notion that I am an art major. (Still don't know where they got that idea!)

I am about to start making pipes, already enjoy making tables and benches and the like, and am a great fan of Widmer beers.

I love shooting, photography, reading, hunting, you know, the intellectual pursuits.

Once I get interested in a subject, I immediately start learning about it, as much as I can. I'm also quite overconfident in my abilities, which led to something called "pear beer."
Besides that I don't know what else to say about myself...I think that is probably the longest description of myself I have ever provided, anywhere.
Obelus, you're a professor, you say? What sort of professor?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
needpics1.gif

I was hoping for pics of motorcycles, pics of the Chaopaya river, Portland State sorority girls, beehives, duck call collections, new puppy pics,etc. :)

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
While I will grant you that pics of PSU sorority girls would not be unwelcome (assuming they are pics of the pretty ones)...they would not have told you anything else about Collin (other than, perhaps, his choice in women). :D

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Bowhatchie, I spent some time in Millington at the Memphis NAS.
Not much here, USMC, BA (Music Theory and Composition), MBA.

Purchasing Manager... looking. Wife, 2 & 1/2 kids... (grandson on the way).

I like to play poker, I love to assemble insanely difficult puzzles, fairly decent cow pasture pool player, I ride a 100th Anniversary Edition Fat Boy (solid black) and I have a pachinko pinball machine made in the late 1940's. I store my DVD's in an old "Ice Box" and I used to hustle darts.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Great stories, everyone!
Myself, I'm 37 and have been married for 13 1/2 years to a wonderful woman who I first met at university when I was at the tender age of 19. We've got two kids now, a seven year old daughter and a three year old son. Guess who's more trouble? I really should have stuck to my guns and insisted we name him Calvin, after Calvin and Hobbes. :lol: There have been a lot of changes in our lives in eighteen years, and the changes continue to come as the kids get older and the career advances, etc. We met here in British Columbia, Canada, and we don't see ourselves moving away any time soon. Some people wonder how we can stand to live on an island, but t'ain't no big thing. Makes it a little more difficult to just hit the open road.
Besides family, the big things going on in my life these days are primarily about martial arts, both for my daughter and myself. I'm racing to see if I can reach "Black Belt" in a couple different arts before the knees give out. I picked up my first pipe six years ago, and it was pretty sporadic until I realized that there was a vast variety of tobaccos out there. The blend that my tobacconist recommended with my first pipe was fine, but pretty boring and didn't really bring me back. I've learned a ton here at PM.com, and even though I haven't met any of you in IRL, I tend to think of you as "the guys" and share the best stories with my wife, not to mention the gut-busters in the NSFW Joke thread...
Simon

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Bytor, trust me, you DO NOT want the photos I have of PSU girls. I deleted them about ten minutes after waking up the next day.

And I don't think that PSU has a sorority, in the 'lots of slutty blonds' way. Which IS rather unfortunate.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Well, why not.
My given name Is Kristopher Holmberg -- some of you may have read where I got my nickname "Yoru" but in short a girlfriend decided to call me it since I always wear black and it means 'night'.
I have a fairly good computer, a few decent instruments (which I can barely play if I do say so myself) -- I have a mountain of unpublished poetry and short stories from highschool, one song I gave all rights over to a friend last year who is currently in Hollywood, I hope he's doing well.
I wish I could write something, but almost the day I got the ability to write truly well, I lost all creative flow -- as a result I have 3 poems I would call marketable (if there was a poetry market) and one short story. . .but that's not enough to bother even trying to publish the stuff. A friend gave me the "No plot? No Problem!" novel writing kit from Chris Baty (who started National Novel Writing Month) yesterday, which amounts to a little chart to map your progress, a quote a day, a few pages of "don't edit until you finish" advice and some gold star stickers for yourself if you do what you promise in word-count. . . . I figure I'll give it a shot with an idea reading so much Stephen King has given me recently, but doubt much success with it. I tried during the actual novel-writing month and I finished 7000 words in one night (about 20 pages) and never touched it again heh heh.
I'm a history major at UNT (University of North Texas, which is in Denton and DAllas TExas. . .Denton is a suburb of Dallas) and am taking 4 history classes this semester which effectively means. . . I don't have to do much ha ha.
I do not work. I hate doing anything I cannot be proud of and would rather be constantly broke but not entirely poor than slightly less broke and worked to the bone. Plus I did the work and uni thing for a semester, and 2 years of work and highschool. . . I HATE getting an average of 3 hours a night of sleep, and often none at all. Really messes with your mind man.
I'm an insomniac, so often i don't do much better than that anyway of course. ...
I truly love tobacco.
I haven't dated since my fiance left me a little over 2 years ago, and not to be melodramatic, but I won't be dating for a long while for certain, and perhaps never again. It could be over-simplified to saying I just don't like people in general well enough to date one.
I read alot lately, though I had completely stopped for many years. I don't paly video-games anymore, despite the fact I really want to, I just don't enjoy it anymore. . . which I find weird and frustrating but am slowly learning to accept.
I hate change, and tend to do the same things repetatively, over and over, every day, for long periods of time before switching my schedule just slightly -- removing video games was a -huge- change, which is likely why it makes me so uncomfortable.
I'm 21, don't drink very often and never have more than one, and I like the cold.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Kristopher: Is this the same University that has the highly esteemed Jazz Big Band that has likely produced more big name soloists than any other in the country? The One O'Clock Jazz Band?...I think that's the name they use.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Born and raised in Alabama. I’m 46, married to a Saint for over 21 years, with two boys (18 & 15), and a 10 year old golden retriever.
I’ve been a lifeguard, construction worker, stock boy, telemarketer, and copy repairman until finally settling in as a college bookstore manager for the last 25 years.
I have two associate degrees (Electrical and Architectural Engineering) and a Bachelors degree. I majored in Business with a minor in Economics.
My interest and hobbies were numerous years ago but are limited now.

I was an avid water skier, chess player, martial arts practitioner, artist, calligrapher, fiction reader, miniature figure painter, music listener, and extreme daydreamer.

I then shifted to an avid reader of non-fiction, pipe smoking, armchair philosopher & economist, watch collector, hockey fan, poker player, and MMA fan. My interest in most of these has diminished over the past few years due to a lack of either enjoyment, finances, mental limitations or a combination of each.
Currently, my days are spent working and visiting with you slops on this forum ever chance I get. :lol: My evenings and weekends are filled mostly with pipe smoking while watching films or TV series. The one thing that has remained constant is my love of music. Sadly I never learned to play anything other than the steering wheel or dash board. I’ve yet to be discovered.
I keep in shape by exercising 5 to 6 days a week but I don’t consider it a hobby nor do I enjoy it. I do it because I’m vain and want to enjoy retirement with my wife and see what type of men my sons become.
I try to say funny things, but most of the time they come out either corny or cruel.

I also really enjoy gazing at beer and guzzling beautiful women.

Status
Not open for further replies.