PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It’s crazy the way our devices monitor us. I was at work a while back, and a co-worker looked up a product on Amazon on his work phone. About 10 min later, I got an ad for it on my work computer.
Woman I love best once said the word "crows" during a phone conversation (She had a Gobble Azzdroid phone at the time); shortly after hanging up She started getting all kinds of suggestions for YT videos on crows.

You couldn't make this shit up.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Woman I love best once said the word "crows" during a phone conversation (She had a Gobble Azzdroid phone at the time); shortly after hanging up She started getting all kinds of suggestions for YT videos on crows.

You couldn't make this shit up.
my wife says that sometimes she's just thinking about something and an ad for it will pop up, she's usually right about some dark stuff and that's enough for me ...

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Although, I have no idea what that pic is of, I gather from reading through the thread that it is a Siri thing somehow. Like the talking teddy bear says, I disable Siri in all devices and turn off microphones except on the phone parts of things. Folks overly sensitive about privacy probably should just not use an iPhone.
So you don't believe Tim Cooke when he says Apple devices are so encrypted that even the NSA can't crack them?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you're online, you are appearing in public. Interesting how much open criminality in the form of scams, for one example, goes on openly and completely without any kind of accountability or response. The mail, phones, email, and social media are saturated with it.

Reactions: UncleRasta

MrHowell

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2022
West Virginia
Wonder how many FBI and ATF agents are on here. I’ve seen people put pics of their guns on here. They have stopped stores from giving samples of tobacco for free. Makes you wonder what is up there sleeves. Look at Canada. Just saying.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Wonder how many FBI and ATF agents are on here. I’ve seen people put pics of their guns on here. They have stopped stores from giving samples of tobacco for free. Makes you wonder what is up there sleeves. Look at Canada. Just saying.
Not a few, I would think. From the Canadian side, I reckon there are a number of plants from the CB$A around as well, taking notes on who's asking how to avoid duties on foreign tobacco purchases.

Yeah, I've seen lotsa people showing (off) their hardware here and I just shake my head at how stupid that is.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
There are a limited number of FBI and ATF agents available and I would think they spend their time on more fertile hunting grounds than a pipe smoker's forum. puffy

Reactions: SBC

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
GPS ear tags for cattle are under a dollar each.

The technology to keep track of every one of the almost eight billion people on this earth exists. Already there are almost seven billion smart phones.

That doesn’t count all the personal computers, security cameras and satellite systems in vehicles.

This means we’ll all have only as much privacy as we elect lawmakers wise enough to safeguard it by wise laws.

It should work out alright, but how is going to be interesting to watch.

Reactions: SBC

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
Not real sure how those cattle ear tags can work in remote areas ... if there are not any cell towers, one can't contact the device and get its location ...

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
This is why I don’t blindly give access to everything. I also blocked or took off or turned off whatever Apple news which seem to report on everything wokel except the riots at Apple factories, and how China treats their people.