PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here are mine. The one on the right I use for cutting plug. The one in the middle was my Grand Fathers pipe knife and is iron bladed, great for cutting plugs and even better for reaming out pipe bowls. You can see it is well used and worn and probably dates from the early 20th century. One one on the left has an iron blade, takes an edge easily, is used for plugs and bowl scraping and was the property of my Father pre- WW2. I have a few more that belonged to various Uncles that are kicking around in boxes and drawers all of which predate WW1. I swear as a family we never throw anything away and I may have to build an extension to accommodate all the crud I have acquired in the U.S when I get back to dear old Blighty!

thumbnail-2.jpeg

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
No plugs to be got here...plenty rope though. If it's just to fill the pipe I usually just use a swiss army knife. If I want to cut a lot for mixing I'll use something more substantial.

WP-20170730-002.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just a reminder for newbies to cut down through the layers of a plug to get all of the constituent varieties of leaf in the blend.

Also, I follow the recommendation of a video posted on Forums a few months ago showing the handy use of a good metal cigar cutter to reduce rope cut tobacco to coins that more easily rub out (or fold and stuff).

I like my Opinel and my Old Bear carbon steel knives for cutting plug