PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I’ll save myself a few future posts since I’ve pulled out all my fixed blades for maintenance. Here is what I choose from on a daily basis. This makes me realize I don’t know what ever happened to my cheap toad stickers I had as a kid, my Swiss Army knives as a teen and 3 pretty good knives I used while in the service. You could say this is my knife history of the past 15 years. Everything prior has been lost to time. View attachment 322231

IMG_8920.jpeg

This is a Civivi? Do you remember what model?

Reactions: Speak Easy

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I like this Chinese manufacturer.
WE knives Nitro OG. This knife has some of the best action of any knife I own.
View attachment 322568

View attachment 322569
WE/Civivi, Reate, Bestech, Maxace.. all Chinese and all get high reviews on build quality. The only reservation I have (less so with Reate) is the heat treats seem to run on the low side.
Main thing regarding WE that kills me is 90% of their pivots have a big WE logo.
I've shown it multiple times but this Maxace is hard to keep out of my pocket on a daily basis. The mechanics are so satisfying.

image.jpg

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I got some fresh diamond plates yesterday and couldn't wait to get the micro-chips out of my Maxamet PM2.
For the non-knerds, Maxamet is a (technically) non stainless, high speed tool steel that is finished incredibly hard (67-69HRC), has amazing wear resistance, and surprisingly decent toughness all considered.

Not tough enough to keep it from chipping at the edge when dropped on the basement floor though.

My usual stones did valiantly but couldn't cut deep enough to fix the chipping.

It's back now though- I found a great deal on (140, 400, 1k progression) diamond carbide plates and they rock.

Thing about Maxamet- the carbides are so plentiful and large that you really don't want to sharpen above 800-1k grit, lest you get a finer edge than the carbides can squeeze into. In simple terms, it cuts better with a slightly coarser edge,

Lower alloy carbon steels allow a much more refined, polished edge.

Anyway, good day to you all.
image.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
This is no longer a daily use knife, but it still gets pulled out for camping. My dad bought it for me my first year of hunting when i was 12. It was used to gut my first two deer I shot. That makes this knife atleast 22 years old. Needs a good cleaning today.

My buck 110.

1000001727.jpg1000001728.jpg
I've gone through many knives through the years, but I'll never get rid of this one.