PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Jean Lacroix Diamant pipes have always smoked well for me, at least as well as Dunhills or whatever. (Diamant is a grade, I think.) They might have a fill or two, but tend to have quite attractive grain otherwise. My best smoking pipe ever was a Jean Lacroix. I have four, but inherent sloth prevents me from taking photos of them. Are Edward's pipes French? In that case, here's a huge Edward's billiard of mine. Smokes great. (Has a heart stamped on the bottom, which I also think is a grade designator.)

edward4.JPG

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
After nearly three years of being exclusive to Savinelli, I was gifted a Foyard Beechwood Rhodesian from circa 1959. Lots of firsts for me here; first straight stem pipe, first time dealing with a stinger, first time with a completely bare chamber wall etc. It's quite wonderful...small bowl, super light weight, and about as free and clear a draw as a pipe can have. Took it on the maiden voyage this afternoon, by way of a bowl of Tilbury. Bliss, even in high winds. Going to designate this one as both an aromatic and latakia-free zone. Here she is:

foyard.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I am almost certain that my Rattray is basically this model blinged out. With silver accents. In fact I'd love to compare them hand in hand. First question is the draw tight but not overly so?
Rattray cuttys do look similar, but are not French made.

Most of my vintage pipes have somewhat restricted draws esp the ones with bone tenons.

I have become accustomed to tight draws. I smoked cigars for 15 years exclusively. You would not believe the bad draw issues with Habanos, - Cohibas included !

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've seen a few sources that say some of their pipes are french made. And the thing is every detail of it screams french. Including the qualities of the briar. (Could be in my head but the grain on French pipes often looks tighter and the lines of grain thinner then on Italian or British pipes for example). And this one has a similar nature to the grain.
Nothing more then a hunch on my part, but honestly it feels so right. Also some people insist it's Peterson, however many Rattray's scream Peterson like to me, this one is about as far from that as possible.
Most of my vintage pipes have somewhat restricted draws esp the ones with bone tenons.

I have become accustomed to tight draws. I smoked cigars for 15 years exclusively. You would not believe the bad draw issues with Habanos, - Cohibas included !
I personally can deal with very open draws like my vauen or Brebbia. I can deal with very middle of the road draws like the Petersons. And I adore tighter draws as well like the rattrays.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've seen a few sources that say some of their pipes are french made. And the thing is every detail of it screams french. Including the qualities of the briar.
You could well be correct in your assumption.

All I know of Rattray pipes is that they are owned by Kopp of Germany, and that their pipes are made for them by different manufacturers in the EU.
I stand corrected.

Now that you have pointed it out, those cuttys look decidely more French than Italian ?

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You could well be correct in your assumption.

All I know of Rattray pipes is that they are owned by Kopp of Germany, and that their pipes are made for them by different manufacturers in the EU.

I stand corrected.

Now that you have pointed it out, those cuttys look decidely more French than Italian ?
yeah the more you look at them the more obvious it is that they go to several different makers in different parts of the world.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I love those older French pipes very elegant.
I have a new Chacom Flumen pipe that I like they have a good marketing strategy.It was sold to me as an unfiltered pipe with a stinger insert which happens to be 9mm so once removed you can use a 9mm charcoal filter if you wish.392CE778-836D-4FF3-987E-682D065696A8.jpeg

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
Bruno Nuttens send me a picture of my new pipe. The rim still needs to be stained black but otherwise its finished.

Attachments

• 321E16C2-3C14-4F2F-843A-D41DD5436C77.jpeg
    321E16C2-3C14-4F2F-843A-D41DD5436C77.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 11