PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

S

ScienceSmoker

I love French pipes, especially old ones. I have quite a few, but many of them are sort of roundabout French pipes, meaning they were made in France, then sold by a US tobacconist. For example, I have French A.Garfinkel, Tinder Box, Jost, and Peterson's LTD pipes (not THAT Peterson, but "Peterson's", which was a tobacconist/pipe shop in NY city).
Here is the "Specially selected for Peterson's LTD / Made in France" pipe:
petersonLTD.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I purchased these three at A la Pipe du Nord in Paris in 2018. They are 150 year anniversary pipes each numbered ###/150. I kept the middle one 129/150 for myself and gifted the other two to my son and son-in-law.
FrenchPipes2 - Edited.jpg

I purchased this Jeantet on ebay for around $6. It states
JEANTET
PRODUCTION
SINCE 1807 on one side
and
CORSICAN BRIAR 67 H,
MADE IN FRANCE on the other side.
Jeantet2 - Edited.jpg

I purchased this Chacom Renard 185, Edition 1 from James Fox, Dublin.
20190124_150149 - Edited.jpg

I have few more, but these are my favorites.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
CHACOM 2015 POY #976/1245
BAcceA0l.jpg

S

ScienceSmoker

My horn-stemmed Corsica pipe. "Vielle Racine" [Old Root].
One of my (potentially) oldest pipes. Some places say that the Corsica brand was a "second" of Vuillard, but Corsica is actually the first brand name that Vuillard used when they started producing pipes at the start of the 1900's. The Vuillard company made match boxes and accessory boxes. It was only later that they started using "Vuillard" on pipes. I'm not 100% positive on the year of this pipe yet, but it's likely pre-war... and possible that it could even be pre-WWI. It's tiny and the grain is very nice, though the dark stain makes it a bit hard to really see how nice it is.

I rarely smoke this one, not just because of it's size and age, but because horn stems are gross to smoke from, especially very old ones, since as they get wet, they quickly become soft and somewhat slimy. I've been considering finding a replacement stem to use if/when I smoke it.

corsicapipe.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No photos, but I'm happy to pitch French pipes to those who appreciate them. It's an old culture of pipe-making in St. Claude and beyond, with high esprit and good competitive pricing. My first pipe was a Tinder Box St. Ives, which was made in France, and is still looking good and smoking well, a smooth bent pot with a distinctive vertical saddle stem. I have BC's, Chacoms, a small EWA churchwarden, and a Genod, and though the chambers stop at Group 4/medium, some seem more ample than that. For a newbie, I heartily suggest a French pipe or three. In general the quality is above the price point.