PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
1952 Dunhill 475 cherrywood with 360-degree ring grain.

Unusual because the "Shilling" model/grade wasn't introduced until 1995 when potential ring grains were spotted during manufacture and set aside to be "chased"... Before then, they just had to happen from blasting as a matter of luck (and rarely did because of the wood Dunhill used at the time).

P1050761 copy.jpg
P1050760.jpg
P1050763.jpg
P1050762.jpg

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Great Petes. I definitely prefer these to the newer blasts. Very nice

I think he was saying they're not PSBs, the new high grade blast. I'm pretty sure at least half of those are newer Petersons with the newer blasting, though (though maybe not the 999? Or is that the 2019 POTY? Either way, the 2019 POTY preceded the new blasting). One of them is a Christmas pipe from 2020.

EDIT: Should have read the rest of the thread. Yes, POTY 2019 predates new sandblasting set up at Peterson by a few months. The Irish Harp SB 264 (I think that's what that is) and the Christmas 2020 were after the change. There were good sandblasts before the changes too, but it was much less consistently good.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I think he was saying they're not PSBs, the new high grade blast. I'm pretty sure at least half of those are newer Petersons with the newer blasting, though (though maybe not the 999? Or is that the 2019 POTY? Either way, the 2019 POTY preceded the new blasting). One of them is a Christmas pipe from 2020.

EDIT: Should have read the rest of the thread. Yes, POTY 2019 predates new sandblasting set up at Peterson by a few months. The Irish Harp SB 264 (I think that's what that is) and the Christmas 2020 were after the change. There were good sandblasts before the changes too, but it was much less consistently good.
Maybe I'm confusing them with a recent series they did with a blast I didn't care for. Or I just have my timeliness confused and am indeed thinking of older blasts. Point being, I've seen many Pete blasts I did not care for at all. But the ones he's pictured are really fantastic

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

Yes PSB. And those I have are all from SP. Spent time picking out the ones I liked thanks to pictures available at the site.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
@swilford

My last reply was little short. As a pipe smoker who only smokes Peterson, buying a Peterson pipe is like a treasure hunt. I have to look at, literally, hundreds of 'em before I find a one that I like. And I think that's what I like about them. They are special to me. Yes, I can spend more and get custom pipes, but what fun is in that? Peterson pipes smoke great, and so far none disappointed me. So I look for the grain, birdseye, and interesting blast.

At first PSB was interesting. But I do realize Peterson pipes are factory pipes. Meaning, large numbers are made and not every one of them can be the best cosmetically. And I'm not really seeing the ones I like as often as I expected. It seems prior to PSB, I saw more that were outstanding.

Now, let's not even talk about non-PSB blasts. I see interesting blasts, but why do they have to be caked on with finish? I understand seasonal/holiday pipes. They are less expensive pipes and made in batches for people who want something for seasonal smoke. But other lines?

Little less finish, and better coloring would show those blasts better.

Since we are at it.. Stems. Please make them straight. I heard since Peterson is factory pipe, slight twist or bent is normal. Maybe. But Savinelli don't seems to have as much problem with their pipes and stems. As much as I love Peterson pipes, stems must be the weakest point. I have two beautiful stummels with some nasty stems. They were just cut wrong. Spoke in length with SP rep, very polite young lady. I didn't send them in for new stems. The inlay "P" can not be placed in newly cut stems. Does Ireland factory put those in? Better stem shaping/cutting will make Peterson a better pipes to own.

Jun 23, 2019
Shocked we have not seen a JT Cooke yet!

Here's one of my favorite smokes - a short bamboozled brandy by Roman Kovalev (Doctor's):

xx988rO.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Since we are at it.. Stems. Please make them straight. I heard since Peterson is factory pipe, slight twist or bent is normal. Maybe. But Savinelli don't seems to have as much problem with their pipes and stems. As much as I love Peterson pipes, stems must be the weakest point. I have two beautiful stummels with some nasty stems. They were just cut wrong. Spoke in length with SP rep, very polite young lady. I didn't send them in for new stems. The inlay "P" can not be placed in newly cut stems. Does Ireland factory put those in? Better stem shaping/cutting will make Peterson a better pipes to own.

What's in play here is that the "stem half" of a pipe is more difficult to make than the "bowl half" as a categortical thing.

NOTE --- I'm not referring to imaginative shaping and holding good lines... that's artisan territory and difficult to do well. I'm talking about factory pipes with fraized stummels.

Why are stems more difficult than bowls? Because the acceptable dimensional tolerance of a stem is measured in thousandths of an inch, while a stummel is measured in hundredths. Meaning a stem is a full order of magnitude more fussy and demanding to "get right".

Couple that with acrylic and vulcanite being physically tougher & more difficult to cut, shape, and polish than wood, and the first thing to be targeted by a manufacturer to hit price points is stem work.

On a related note, know that Peterson has never sacrificed stem material quality to meet price points, but only looked at labor.

What am I referring to? The widely available snappy, crumbly, chippy acrylic that many Italian companies use. The stuff can be shaped (to a degree) with buffing wheels, and shines like glass with little effort, but it deteriorates rapidly. How fragile does it get? Buttons chip, bite zones crack, and tenons snap off easily. I have a pipe on its way to me as I type that was simply being held in one hand and fell apart while being polished by the other. And in the past I've been sent pipes whose bowls simply fell off spontaneously while smoking.

In short, a manufacturer saves 20 minutes (or whatever the actual number is) one time, while the buyer gets to deal with the fragility for life.

Not cool, sez me. "Cost Account Driven Design" has no place in the PipeWorld when DURABILITY is compromised.

Why? Because what fuels the PipeWorld are long-lasting items---meaning a hundred years and more---that are treasured for their history, personality, and individuality. The End. Full stop.

Anyway, back to the point: Peterson does not do that. They know that shape, finish & etc. can always be tuned and adjusted after purchase (if desired), but materials are forever.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
@swilford

My last reply was little short. As a pipe smoker who only smokes Peterson, buying a Peterson pipe is like a treasure hunt. I have to look at, literally, hundreds of 'em before I find a one that I like. And I think that's what I like about them. They are special to me. Yes, I can spend more and get custom pipes, but what fun is in that? Peterson pipes smoke great, and so far none disappointed me. So I look for the grain, birdseye, and interesting blast.

At first PSB was interesting. But I do realize Peterson pipes are factory pipes. Meaning, large numbers are made and not every one of them can be the best cosmetically. And I'm not really seeing the ones I like as often as I expected. It seems prior to PSB, I saw more that were outstanding.

Now, let's not even talk about non-PSB blasts. I see interesting blasts, but why do they have to be caked on with finish? I understand seasonal/holiday pipes. They are less expensive pipes and made in batches for people who want something for seasonal smoke. But other lines?

Little less finish, and better coloring would show those blasts better.

I hear you on the treasure hunt aspect; and there are tons of really amazing sandblasts that don't make the cut to be PSBs, so you'll find great blasts throughout the range.

On 'caked on with finish,' can you give me a bit more to go on here? Do you mean the shinier black ones? Dark colors in general? Can you give series examples? Most of Peterson's sandblasts are two-tone stain combinations, where they're stained twice and buffed to show highlights (the same way that most older manufacturers do it; the way Dunhill does it, etc). The exception to that is the black, which we like because it ends up being a little craggier (when you buff off to get the highlights, you also round the edges of the blast slightly). With the exception of the Supremes (and the very occasional Barley Spigots), we have two processes for sandblasts. I'm not sure which one you're referring to.

On the stems, yes, we're working on it and it's getting better. It's still not as consistently correct as it needs to be.

Sykes

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I hear you on the treasure hunt aspect; and there are tons of really amazing sandblasts that don't make the cut to be PSBs, so you'll find great blasts throughout the range.

On 'caked on with finish,' can you give me a bit more to go on here? Do you mean the shinier black ones? Dark colors in general? Can you give series examples? Most of Peterson's sandblasts are two-tone stain combinations, where they're stained twice and buffed to show highlights (the same way that most older manufacturers do it; the way Dunhill does it, etc). The exception to that is the black, which we like because it ends up being a little craggier (when you buff off to get the highlights, you also round the edges of the blast slightly). With the exception of the Supremes (and the very occasional Barley Spigots), we have two processes for sandblasts. I'm not sure which one you're referring to.

On the stems, yes, we're working on it and it's getting better. It's still not as consistently correct as it needs to be.

Sykes
This is just one example. But I understand what you mean by polishing rounding out the sharp detail. Maybe that's what make it look like the finish is caked on to me. This is Deluxe Classic PSB.

002-029-77319.3764.jpg

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I’ll see what photos I already have on my phone of particularly cool blasts, I’m away from home right now. I’ll see if I can get more when I get back, there’s a few that I somehow don’t have photos saved.

Rad Davis
52AF3AF5-085A-426C-B3D3-6CB9158E830C.jpeg

J.Alan
79B12442-AB33-4AD6-AA7D-2FA84B3ED47E.jpeg

Will Purdy
F9FB0CF5-415B-4107-B70B-F021DCAE9157.jpeg

Ruthenburg
FE4E0A40-FAA6-4E26-82CD-ED3C0CAD049F.jpeg

J.Alan
E6E5F0F0-1629-4864-A2D2-5738D4680C5B.jpeg

Rad Davis
65754588-8801-4F27-B036-835C6978112C.jpeg

Rad Davis
251B7EC2-4380-46BF-8137-AE5D7ADB0B02.jpeg

J.Alan
8478CE51-8965-41A9-AF92-087D208A10FB.jpeg

Bruce Weaver
FC7503CE-20E3-4459-B42C-C0DEC4534E8B.jpeg

Brad Pohlmann
8C4B7CB0-EA50-46E5-851D-EBE8A4E7B44B.jpeg

S.Bang
FCD73F75-B713-4842-878C-AACDC30572F5.jpeg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I wish we could break blasts into two groups - the “it got blasted and here it is” group, and the “I’m going to use my system to blast this pipe” group.
One’s not better than the other, but it’s apples and oranges. 37D4D1ED-60E4-481A-B5A5-6E642CFB6532.jpeg

D8AA4482-2B1E-4BEF-82E0-D7CC32C3EDB3.jpeg