PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Those are both sixties pipes, a potato sack from Denmark and a house pipe from the UK.
They got blasted and that was that, and they were pretty nice to look at.
Whole different ballgame from an intentionally and methodically blasted pipe from the new school.

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I wish we could break blasts into two groups - the “it got blasted and here it is” group, and the “I’m going to use my system to blast this pipe” group.
One’s not better than the other, but it’s apples and oranges.

That’s an interesting thought. I think one of my favorite things to see are well executed blasts where the maker clearly understood the grain and was intentional with the way it turned out, even if it doesn’t have the really deep lines, a la JT Cooke.

The S.Bang, Rad Davis author, and natural finish J.Alan that I posted above are all examples of that, which is what makes those very cool for me.

All that said, I do agree that these could still almost be classified separately in their respective styles.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
That’s an interesting thought. I think one of my favorite things to see are well executed blasts where the maker clearly understood the grain and was intentional with the way it turned out, even if it doesn’t have the really deep lines, a la JT Cooke.

The S.Bang, Rad Davis author, and natural finish J.Alan that I posted above are all examples of that, which is what makes those very cool for me.

All that said, I do agree that these could still almost be classified separately in their respective styles.
Yeah, it’s not a matter of one being better than the other - we should praise them for what they are, while being mindful of the differences.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
A recent acquisition from forum member mkelaw, this one is my first ring grain. While not super crisp or anything, it’s still pretty dang neat in my opinion. Smokes good too! I must say I’m intrigued by the stem construction. Is that two pieces with the briar accent ring sandwiched in between ? I’ve stared at it endlessly wondering how it was made lol.134792CA-3E01-4096-B386-8852EEB25F4A.jpeg

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Crown Manola Sandblast 604 scoop. Love the shape, style, and the feel - it makes me think of black stone. Mainly use it for straight black cavendish and other vanilla-ish aromatics, though I broke it in with good old Carter Hall. Smokes cool and dry, feels great in the hand. For $30, can't ask for more than that.20230204_184517.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an amazing thread of extravagant sandblasted briars. I only have one or two pipes that could join this array, but I also have one Tsuge "tasting pipe," which is full-sized, not small as the name suggests, and has extra light blast that looks like the weave on a piece of material, that I especially like for its subtlety. I could be wrong, but I think a few of these pipes are rusticated, not sandblast, or it is a sandblast genre I don't know.

Reactions: Templekeeper

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
This is an amazing thread of extravagant sandblasted briars. I only have one or two pipes that could join this array, but I also have one Tsuge "tasting pipe," which is full-sized, not small as the name suggests, and has extra light blast that looks like the weave on a piece of material, that I especially like for its subtlety. I could be wrong, but I think a few of these pipes are rusticated, not sandblast, or it is a sandblast genre I don't know.
Show us!
And I also agree, I saw a couple of pipes on this thread that were rusticated, not sandblasted