PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Actually, I think the original stem in the photo George posted looked fine to me minus the oxidation. Looks pretty much like the stem in my old chubby Pete.
That's the way Peterson makes them.
If you like them as it, then it's good

I find the transitioning of the taper too abrupt, and the bend should be more "sensuous"
Being a short stem those faults are far less evident and less grating than in a larger pipes with a longer stem such as my XL90.

I'm OK with agreeing to disagree :)

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Anyone know why some pipe have silver hallmarks that are a few years away from the date of manufacture? I've been looking at some of the Peterson Short pipes and the new ones showing up have bands hallmarked 2020. Is that because the bands were made well in advance and are just being used now?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Anyone know why some pipe have silver hallmarks that are a few years away from the date of manufacture? I've been looking at some of the Peterson Short pipes and the new ones showing up have bands hallmarked 2020. Is that because the bands were made well in advance and are just being used now?
That’s exactly it. I had an old Comoy Sports, it’s on pipedia, that is not only double stamped, it’s hallmarked 1922.

So that’s just another crazy way of saying yes, it’s odd, but yes, everyone does it.