PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Love that fat shank! What's your process for buffing the nickel? It's so shinny I would've guessed it was sterling silver if I didn't know better.
After a thorough cleaning with warm soap and water, I buff on a stitched muslin wheel with Tripoli and then on an unstitched cotton wheel with white compound. The nice thing about nickel is that it’ll be shiny long after my silver mounted pipes tarnish.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Just cleaned up this Pre-Repubic Shamrock 999. The older 999’s had a slightly heavier shank than the new ones giving them a chubbier feel. View attachment 215410View attachment 215411View attachment 215412View attachment 215413
What a fine job you did on it. Love the look of chubby Rhodesians and I have an old Dublin & London 1. However, I seldom smoke it as it suffers from the same thing most Rhodesians do-its design leads to a shallow bowl which doesn't hold enough tobacco for my tastes. Sort of the same problem I have with my deerstalker but I keep chugging along with that.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Love 999 Fatties.

Your pics reminded me of a standard (non P-lip) replacement I made for one years ago.

Brutal to fabricate for technical reasons, but worth it. The best of both worlds (for a non P-lip fan):

View attachment 215477
Your stem looks fantastic, the original not so much. It looks it changes taper by about 1.5 degrees in two places. Kinda choppy looking.

Reactions: Nevaditude

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Your stem looks fantastic, the original not so much. It looks it changes taper by about 1.5 degrees in two places. Kinda choppy looking.

Yeah, the original is a molded blank that was designed to be thin enough at the "bend point" to be a quick and easy production line task. Heat, bend, dunk, done.

Doing the swan neck "sensuous curve" thing on a pipe as short and thick as a fatty-version 999 would take FAR too long. (it must be done in stages, and some of the curve must be "carved in")

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, the original is a molded blank that was designed to be thin enough at the "bend point" to be a quick and easy production line task. Heat, bend, dunk, done.

Doing the swan neck "sensuous curve" thing on a pipe as short and thick as a fatty-version 999 would take FAR too long. (it must be done in stages, and some of the curve must be "carved in")
I've commented recently on how badly done the thick Pete stems are
Both taper and bend done wrong.
With over a century of practice, you'd think they would have time to get it right. :mad:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!

I had this 1904 Peterson Meerschaum restemmed by Ryan Alden, the Amber Stem is fine, but I wanted a daily driver stem.

Ryan told me how much time and effort went into the bend. And when I say time and effort he stated 2 plus hours.

5C37DE16-6BF9-49DB-BE4B-16FF201BD74E.jpegA1148482-CD4F-45E8-9D16-26BB61B7BB9A.jpeg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I had this 1904 Peterson Meerschaum restemmed by Ryan Alden, the Amber Stem is fine, but I wanted a daily driver stem.

Ryan told me how much time and effort went into the bend. And when I say time and effort he stated 2 plus hours.

View attachment 215584View attachment 215585
That pipe with the original amber stem is BEAUTIFUL 😍
Ryan did a great job with new stem. Really nailed the taper and the bend

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
As long as we're on the whole Pete re-stem thing, it's interesting how some people love the shapes and history and old-timey feel of Petes so much that they'll do whatever it takes to old-ify (old-icate? old-ize?) a new stummel with a century-old looking stem.

(I totally get it, btw)

Like so:

Peterson System stem replacement - pipemakersforum.com - http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12313
Damn what a shapely stem! That pipe definitely deserves a stem like that.

I have started to like the sharp taper of Peterson Deluxe stems but the gradual taper look is still my favorite. Wish more Petes came that way.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've commented recently on how badly done the thick Pete stems are
Both taper and bend done wrong.
With over a century of practice, you'd think they would have time to get it right. :mad:
Actually, I think the original stem in the photo George posted looked fine to me minus the oxidation. Looks pretty much like the stem in my old chubby Pete.