PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
A 2nd Peterson has joined the family. First one was the largest bowl in a spigot system pipe I could order XL315. This one is what I think is the smallest bowl available in a System Pete, a 317, hereby dubbed the Li'l Pete :
View attachment 212913
I’ve thought the 317/230 was way too tiny in the past but now I think it’s the next new pipe I’ll buy. I thought, "Why would I spend the same amount of money on a tiny pipe when I can get a big(ger) one for the same price?" or, "If I want a tiny pipe I can just get a cob," but now I realize sometimes you just need a small briar pipe.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
First smoke in the Rusticated Spigot System 314. It’s my second brand new pipe (the first was a cheap, simple poker commissioned over 10 years ago when I first started smoking a pipe) and second Pete. I got this pipe to celebrate my son's birth in 2021. I bought this late last year and it was probably made in 2022 but the hallmark is stamped for 2021. The question is will I be able to give it up if he decides to smoke a pipe?

I haven't noticed the difference between it and my 9s but I’ll smoke them back to back (or at the same time) one of these days just to compare.

I know the new rustication is not everyone's cup of tea and it actually wasn't mine at first but now I really like them.

signal-2023-03-29-100941.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
OK, last post of the day from me in this thread: What was on the Superlative Collection drop on SP today and when did they announce it? I just stumbled upon it now but hadn't heard of it prior.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
First smoke in the Rusticated Spigot System 314. It’s my second brand new pipe (the first was a cheap, simple poker commissioned over 10 years ago when I first started smoking a pipe) and second Pete. I got this pipe to celebrate my son's birth in 2021. I bought this late last year and it was probably made in 2022 but the hallmark is stamped for 2021. The question is will I be able to give it up if he decides to smoke a pipe?

I haven't noticed the difference between it and my 9s but I’ll smoke them back to back (or at the same time) one of these days just to compare.

I know the new rustication is not everyone's cup of tea and it actually wasn't mine at first but now I really like them.

View attachment 212964
That's a fine looking pipe. I have several Petes with that rustication and like it well enough. Now the pinnacle of Peterson rustication I believe occurred in the 1980's.

Reactions: Nevaditude

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I checked PPN and it looks like there were a few kinds in the 80's, Do you have an example of which one you’re referring to?
I am unable to take and post pics, otherwise I'd show my 1989 Deerstalker as an example of the type of rustication I'm referencing. Very gnarly/craggy rustication.

Reactions: Nevaditude

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Interesting article. Guess my 1989 Deerstalker would qualify as what Irwin called a pebble rustication, albeit mine is actually craggier than the examples he showed. See that he also said he thought that period produced the best rustication. I see that article also featured some rusticated Italian pipes. I've long thought Italians did the best rustication and the ones I've liked would probably fall into the pebble category.