PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Have you smoked this one? I see them come up for sale every so often but I’ve never read anything about their smoking characteristics.
I’m pretty sure the one pictured is late 30s, and therefore French made. They were the best. The ones made in Scotland during ww2, and for how long afterwards I’m not sure were pretty decent too, but the later stuff are essentially bubble pipes or stage props.

There are a few articles online about how to tell the differences between them.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
I’m pretty sure the one pictured is late 30s, and therefore French made. They were the best. The ones made in Scotland during ww2, and for how long afterwards I’m not sure were pretty decent too, but the later stuff are essentially bubble pipes or stage props.

Do they actually function like a System pipe? I’ve got a few of the meerschaum Systems and the reservoir doesn’t seem to catch much moisture at all and honestly doesn’t seem worth it. It’s just another place for gunk to gather that needs to be cleaned, as opposed to the briar versions where I’m happy the reservoir is there and it makes a noticeable difference in the smoking quality (to me)

Reactions: Nevaditude

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Do they actually function like a System pipe? I’ve got a few of the meerschaum Systems and the reservoir doesn’t seem to catch much moisture at all and honestly doesn’t seem worth it. It’s just another place for gunk to gather that needs to be cleaned, as opposed to the briar versions where I’m happy the reservoir is there and it makes a noticeable difference in the smoking quality (to me)
As far as I am aware the early ones were made like actual system pipes, and the latest ones were a non-system pipe with an incredibly poor draw. The one Tim has is fully bored out so it’s like a super system.

All I’ve gathered is from Peterson pipe notes, a reborn pipe article and a few emails with mark Irwin.

If I ever grab one it will have to have the brevet (French patent) stamp on it or the mount.

Reactions: Nevaditude

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)

Ok, so I got confused with the other Pete clay @ashdigger has, which can be seen here, which looks like the model 8:

The mode 12 recently pictured looks to be ww2-1960s era. Here’s the best write up I’ve found on them:

I apologise for any confusion

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Ok, so I got confused with the other Pete clay @ashdigger has, which can be seen here, which looks like the model 8:

The mode 12 recently pictured looks to be ww2-1960s era. Here’s the best write up I’ve found on them:

In the between-time of your blather, I scooped up another Clay Pete (12).

So now it’s three clays.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal

Whatever era that clay is from its cool as hell

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
This morning I received a box in the mail and to my surprise it was a gift from another forum member. After a few private messages, he asked to remain anonymous, so I won't mention his name.

Peterson Deluxe System 20s p-lip natural finish. I love everything about this pipe.
IMG20230103105259.jpg

This pipe forum is full of very generous members and I'm happy to be part of this community.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Have put off getting one of these in favor of the bent shapes, but saw the ad in the FS sub forum of @Humblepipe and decided to finally pull the trigger. So a new (literally) Sherlock Baker Street - it is substantial. I’m probably more Nigel Bruce than Rathbone anyway, lol. View attachment 192262
I just got one of the newer Baker Streets and you are right, it's quite substantial. I'm a fan, though. Congrats on the pipe, it looks like a winner.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Have put off getting one of these in favor of the bent shapes, but saw the ad in the FS sub forum of @Humblepipe and decided to finally pull the trigger. So a new (literally) Sherlock Baker Street - it is substantial. I’m probably more Nigel Bruce than Rathbone anyway, lol. View attachment 192262
I wish they still offered the beaded line on the new ones. Love the earlier ones!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I've been eyeing a larger pipe for a while. Something that will be a continuous and low maintenance companion while I enjoy some early morning alone time on the weekends, with a bottomless cup of coffee and a good book.

While smaller pipes work just fine, some mornings I am able to get a good 90 minutes or so in. Coffee fill ups have been lessened with my large Yeti mug (these things are amazing by the way - they live up to the hype), so the only interruption before my family awakens was needing to reload the pipe.

I believe this minor inconvenience has been solved with the 2.21 inch bowl depth of a Peterson House Pipe. A recent flash sale and a stroke of luck aligned the stars so that the timing and price were too good to pass up.

Another member generously gifted me several Peterson pipes when I inquired about the p-lip (thank you yet again) and I grew a fondness for Peterson pipes. This is the first Peterson I purchased and am looking forward to its company (and it joining its older, but smaller brothers) for the years that come.

20230107_200332.jpg