PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
At the end of the day we are talking about "mass production". What is the problem with yours?

These are the rings on my new 999. I do not know if this was a change in the design or just a way to cut production time.
I like the pipe and after the first bowl I can say it smokes great, but I could not avoid to notice the difference.

H5iunCE.jpg

SedydkQ.jpg

Here next to the 80s Deluxe.

E9tox5M.jpg
The metal on the shaft and the metal on the stem are both on angles and the stem is crooked also.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Stem is the weakest area in Peterson pipes. Not that they are physically weak, but occasional crappy ones ship out. Out of about 35 Peterson pipes about three of them have really bent/misshapen stems. Smoke fine, but don't want to smoke 'em. Still trying to figure out what to do. Great briars and don't want to part with them.

This one's the latest, and the stem is rather straight.

IMG_20220302_123429_429.jpg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Just opened the Peterson Iora spigot XL02 and it is a really good looking pipe (IMO). Fit, stem, finish are all 100%.

For those who care about bowl coating, it took me 4.08 minutes to wipe it clean with hot, wet paper towel bits and a few wipes with 200 grit sandpaper and the briar in the bowl looked great, so no hidden defects. And I was in no hurry, lol. Easy to do if you want to. It's become a little "ritual" with me even if not strictly needed.

My only minor and tiny "gripe" is I am finding I don't prefer the acrylic stems as much as others, but it's a minor issue, mostly confined to a couple of Petersons I have and some really nice Nordings I wish had come without. I overlooked it because I wanted a spigot and this finish really appealed to me.

No more purchases for me until June, but glad I fell for the marketing email on this one.

C9BC398E-5E77-4B34-9173-356E48486434_1_201_a.jpeg

Tabacco

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2020
GA - USA
I am not sure this is the appropriate thread but I did not want to open one just for one question.
Very happy with the smoking quality of Peterson pipes I currently have, I am planning on buying few more. One should arrive tomorrow.
Here is my question: is there a known difference in quality of the briar used for the different series or finishes? I am not talking about aesthetical quality (flame, birdseye, etc.), but smoking quality, due to quality of the raw material, aging and processing.

Reactions: ofafeather

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
Getting rained out of work today Thought I would share my Sherlock Holmes collection and my two 4ABs. Left to right 1.) Deerstalker/sandblast. 2.) Handsome/rusticated. 3.) Mycroft/sandblast. 4.)Strand/sandblast. 5.)Squire/sandblast. 6.) Watson/sandblast 7.) Hudson/rusticated 8.)Baskerville/sandblast. 9.)Baker Street/sandblast 10.)Rathbone/sandblast. 11. & 12.) Heritage and PSB 4AB. I know that there are mixed feelings and opinions on the series, but I am happy with my collection. The only complaint, for me, would be the constant upkeep/ or polishing (they tarnish fast). And I wish the 4ABs came with an acrylic stem option. Happy smokes...KIMG1078.JPG

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
Stem is the weakest area in Peterson pipes. Not that they are physically weak, but occasional crappy ones ship out. Out of about 35 Peterson pipes about three of them have really bent/misshapen stems. Smoke fine, but don't want to smoke 'em. Still trying to figure out what to do. Great briars and don't want to part with them.

This one's the latest, and the stem is rather straight.

View attachment 136534
That is a beautiful pipe, just wondering is that a 606 or 608? I'm in the market for one but I'm not sure which size I would like better.

Reactions: ofafeather

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Does anyone know what this is?

tempImagebpFiGR.pngtempImageFZOs7P.pngtempImageP1nEqP.png

I bought it off of eBay years ago as a "Peterson meerschaum" and it does seem to fit that description..... I have not smoked it yet, because I would really like to get a new stem made for it (old on has the p-lip cut off to just a hole in the end).

Can any of yall verify that peterson made meers? reccomnd someone to fit a replacement stem? I sure would like to get this thing back into action!