PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
^ Wow, she's a beaut. Great pic of that new line. Great shape too. After many years I'm starting to appreciate filtered one's a bit now. Enjoy.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Some nice looking Petersons. I've got a system pipe that I've smoked for about the past 20 years. I've just today purchased my second Peterson from pipedivan.com aka James Fox.
I'm hoping there won't be an issues with it as I'd hate to have to send it back.
peterson_rosslare_120.jpg

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Is this a new medical condition: The Peterson's Enlarged Prostate?!
This would be where you think you need to piss on Peterson's, but then you can't.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I still piss on Petersons as I think their Q&A is pretty bad as is their dip staining every pipe. I'll certainly be lightly sanding the inside of the bowl to remove that stain as long as the drilling is good.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
If you are having trouble 'initiating a stream' go here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/has-peterson-quality-really-declined

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I hear ya snowyowl, but I'd end up cleaning the sheets for it.

The pipe is in fairly good condition, but the top of the bowl is a little rough. I refused to top it and just buffed and waxed it. It earned those scars.... :D

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
So I bought my Peterson despite their QC issues and I received it today. It's drilled well however the tenon is only about 1/3 of the length of the mortise. This is listed as a non filter pipe and there is no filter in there. I can probably fit half of a Savinelli balsa filter in there.
Also I should note that this is the fricking tightest stem fit of any pipe I've ever owned. I can barely remove the stem.
Who the hell makes pipes like these? I just don't get it. So this is my second Peterson and will probably be my last.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Ok so I dedicated that pipe to PS LTF and I've got to say despite it's flaws it smokes LTF very well.
I did have some gurgling but I can deal with it. I'm curious to see what happens with that gap if the pipe goes sour. I'll be sure to clean the gap regularly.

Jan 8, 2013
Sometimes the changes in temperature and humidity can cause the stem to fit tight or loose. Stick it in the freezer for a few minutes and see if the stem is easier to remove afterward.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks Anthony. I'll give it a shot.
I don't get why the mortise is so much deeper than the tenon. It's almost like they were going to make it into a filter pipe but didn't.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Sold all my pipes several months ago but can't keep from getting new ones. This was found in a box of old neglected pipes. It was so corroded and nasty that I couldn't tell what is was. Turms out it is a prerepublic Peterson 1945-1947. Doesn't look too bad after a little restoring. Should be good for another 70 years or so. I'll pass it on to someone else who might take better care of it !! Hoppes

Reactions: Papasmurf92

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wow nice find Hoppes. I wish I could find pipes like that in my collection. :rofl:
Anthony. Nope not a system pipe although my other older Peterson is.