PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chumleeroy

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2023
Midwest
Just a footnote on this thread. Most of us know from our elders that in the 1950's Kaywoodie was the premier factory pipe in the world, with Dunhill playing second fiddle, and they were both quite pricey, but neither as pricey corrected for inflation as the Dunhill/White spot bought new today.

I guess it is not universally accepted by pipe smokers, but I have found the current crop of Kaywoodie of substantial quality, not what their low prices would suggest at all. They have good traditional designs, well drilled and nicely finished, more sophisticated visually than other pipes in their price range. I think they're one hell of a bargain.

Lots of nice ones, old and new, on this thread. Thank you for posting these. This isn't a summary. On with the Kaywoodie show(ing).
I have a new school 09b (pear) and it has a great sandblast and smokes quite well, but I think the stem I'd nylon, but I could be wrong on that

chumleeroy

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2023
Midwest
After I saw @TheIronMonkey ’s tiny KW I was on a mission to get one. Well one popped up the other day on the bay. So here is my tiny cased KW and one of the Rarest KW’s in my collection. It’s the only one I own that I can put a definitive year on, and a rare finish/line. It’s a 1929 Straight Grain 33 with SYNCHROSTEM PAT.APP.FOR stamped on the bottom of the shank. The combination of the 2 digit shape code and pat stamp mean this pipe could have only been made in 1929, and it’s a straight grain to boot. View attachment 188958View attachment 188959
33 is stunning

chumleeroy

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2023
Midwest

chumleeroy

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2023
Midwest
Nic
This is one of my absolute favorites out of my thorn collection. A near perfect ring grain blast author.
View attachment 199121View attachment 199122View attachment 199123
Here’s two Balsts nearly 100 years apart. The apple is a very early push bit two digit, the four square is one of Bill’s limited edition 100year anniversary pipes. View attachment 199126
Nicest woodie author I've seen, nice score!
I have a love hate relationship with this thread it's such a PAD trigger. Love the Thorns especially. Now for another newer model though. Red-Root billiard from Greywoodie.com. Can't beat it for $41. Blast on the logo side of the bowl and the pattern "problems" on the right clinched the acquisition.

View attachment 199272View attachment 199273View attachment 199275
Love the circular (topographic) blasts

chumleeroy

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2023
Midwest
So, got my thorn from eBay and I didn’t realize the stem had been fixed. Over-aggressive cleaning and buffing led to dislodging the fixed part of the button. I tried to redox it myself but it led to more buffing. I’m just no good at this. I give up. Yes, I can smoke it with one of those rubber things. But I don’t enjoy that much. I’m pretty disappointed. What are the chances of my finding a replacement stem out here? Anyone? View attachment 223815View attachment 223816
Would u want to sell it or trade? I have a tricorn w thevsame problem I'm going to fix this week. Any tips would be appreciated

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I bought a couple more unusual pipes in the same week recently. An oversize Hand Made push stem circa 1950.

IMG_2257.jpeg

And a 3 knuckle bent Mandarin. 4-hole stinger, probably 1950s as well.

IMG_2264.jpeg

Reactions: MattRVA and Joe H

chumleeroy

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2023
Midwest
Here is my newest Kaywoodie. I found it a bruised and battered in an antique store and this is how it looks after some tlc. I know it was made between 1935-38, I know its called a Kohinoor, but for the life of me I cannot find a value for it. The search continues!
View attachment 327727View attachment 327724
I want one sooo bad. I live in a geodesic dome amd this looks.so similar and supposedly they are on of the rarest shapes

chumleeroy

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2023
Midwest
Thanks, I do love the process of trying to figure out how some antique item got to where it is in current times. Probably a lot of stuff just sits around until a relative puts it on Ebay. Some items might have great stories if only the owners would have thought anyone down the line would care to know, and would have taken the time to write about it. One of the reasons I signed up to this web site was to document some of these things, with the thought that some distant relatives might find these posts of some interest in the future. Probably not, but you never know - the breadcrumbs are dropped all the same.

How I came to own dad’s collection is a funny story. Dad and I were walking one of his dogs during mid-1990s. It was summer and I was smoking a cigar to keep the mosquitos at bay. Dad mentioned the cigar smelled good and that he wished he knew what had happened to his old pipes. He regularly gave up smoking for Lent and one year, probably around 1976, he couldn’t find them after the 40 day fasting period. He searched all over but never could find where they’d been placed. He had a few less popular pipes as back-ups still tucked away, but his favorites were gone and he didn’t feel like breaking in a new batch. Since we kids were all in our teens by then, he decided it was probably best not to be smoking around us anyway. And that was the unceremonious end of dad’s 40 years of pipe smoking.

When we got home from the walk, I asked mom if she had any idea where dad’s old pipes might be, and without a pause she said, “Look for a brown paper bag in the credenza.” I went to the credenza in the dining room where we kept the fancy dishes and tablecloths for special occasions and sure enough, there was an old brown paper shopping bag which had a pipe holder with five pipes and a glass tobacco container that had a handful of old cigars – the cheap ones men gave out after the birth of a kid - one even had a wrapper that said “It’s a boy.” The look on dad’s face when I pulled out the pipes was precious. The 20 year old mystery was solved: Dad hadn’t misplaced the pipes, mom hid them!

Dad said he wasn’t interested in starting up smoking again and they were mine if I wanted them. I used to smoke a couple cigars a week back then but didn’t always want to light up a stogie that might last over an hour. The pipes were a great addition to my cigars and after he passed away, a welcome reminder of my dad.
Always cool to get a old pipe from a loved family member

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
I thought I posted this one, but I may have been a little buzzed. My latest Kaywoodie. late 50's/60's NOS meerschaum relief grain octagon bowl square shank billiard. This one may be a catch and release though. I smoke all my pipes and I think I wont be able to bring myself to smoking this one... Still has the original price sticker on it. 20240921_224526.jpg20240921_223734.jpg20240921_224611.jpg20240921_224644.jpg

NE Pipeteer

Might Stick Around
Here are 4 Hand Made Kaywoodies I've restored this year.

Attachments

• Kaywoodie Hand Made taper stem finihsed internals.JPG
    Kaywoodie Hand Made taper stem finihsed internals.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Kaywoodie Hand Made sadle stem finished left.JPG
    Kaywoodie Hand Made sadle stem finished left.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Kaywoodie Hand Made sadle stem finished internals 2.JPG
    Kaywoodie Hand Made sadle stem finished internals 2.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1
  • HandMade finished left.JPG
    HandMade finished left.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1
  • HandMade before internals.JPG
    HandMade before internals.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 1
  • HandMade Colossus finished left.JPG
    HandMade Colossus finished left.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 1
  • HandMade Colossus finished internals.JPG
    HandMade Colossus finished internals.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Kaywoodie Hand Made taper stem finihsed left.JPG
    Kaywoodie Hand Made taper stem finihsed left.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 1

chumleeroy

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2023
Midwest
Just snagged this Dorset Knotty 55 on eBay, big thanks to @bluegrassbrian for the heads up. It’s a pre Kaywoodie Drinkless pipe with a push tenon. These are probably the earliest sandblasts made in the US. They are the predecessor to the Thorn. The shape is a Full Bent Dad. “Dad” was the indication for a large pipe. It’s not that big by today’s standards but it’s got a pretty healthy chamber for 1919-20. Yes the clover is gold and yes it’s upside down on the stem, the early ones were inlaid to face the smoker.View attachment 246616View attachment 246617View attachment 246618View attachment 246619View attachment 246620View attachment 246621View attachment 246622View attachment 246623View attachment 246624View attachment 246625
Wow a goldfoil! I've never heard of
" Dorset knotty" as a kaywoodie line. Could it be a replacement stem?

Reactions: NE Pipeteer