PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Got this Kaywoodie in, i thinks it early 1930's, maybe someone here knows more. She needs a lot of work as you can see. The bowl is very pretty and in decent shape, but the stem is really bad1000007085.jpg

1000007083.jpg

Attachments

• 1000007084.jpg
    1000007084.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 3

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I'd say it's probably early 30's
After researching all I could find, I’m pretty sure you’re correct, and believe that what I’ve got is a second gen Drinkless Pup. If it didn’t have a pretty good sized sand pit right in the “IMPORTED BRIAR” stamp on shank it may have rated higher than a Drinkless grade.
This image from the oft-referenced 1936 is spot on for the shape and fitment. AE1CCB94-F22A-43CB-83E4-D23F51896E38.jpgCE925F81-DB64-410C-A594-BE7A3B91E032.jpeg
Regardless, I’m enjoying it immensely and it’s a great smoker.

Last edited:

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
HA d many over the years, down to just one, what I assume to be a Brown University 1940 Class Pipe, although Pipedia's article on class pipes by Brian Robertson shows the 1940 Brown pipe as a billiard, mine is a Canadian. Drinkless, Algerian Briar, Suntan. Maybe they had different shapes offered each year?

IMG_4137.JPG
IMG_4136.JPG

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I don’t know if this is the right thread but does anyone know the history of the Greywoodie pipes, how they started, etc.?
Sorry for the delay. Life has been a bit crazy. Greywoodie pipes started life in October of 2022. I was a handmade pipe maker, still am sometimes, under nQa Pipes. But Greywoodie the retail company started carrying Kaywoodie pipes, I launched in April of 2019. Spending so much time at the Kaywoodie factory, I decided to learn the age old art of production pipes from Bill Feuerbach, the fourth generation owner of Kaywoodie. All of my materials were shared with Kaywoodie, and I started them in the Kaywoodie factory and then brought them home to finish in my shop, learning how Bill performed each step. So I kept making and carrying the Greywoodie line of pipes in addition to nQa and Kaywoodie pipes.

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Sorry for the delay. Life has been a bit crazy. Greywoodie pipes started life in October of 2022. I was a handmade pipe maker, still am sometimes, under nQa Pipes. But Greywoodie the retail company started carrying Kaywoodie pipes, I launched in April of 2019. Spending so much time at the Kaywoodie factory, I decided to learn the age old art of production pipes from Bill Feuerbach, the fourth generation owner of Kaywoodie. All of my materials were shared with Kaywoodie, and I started them in the Kaywoodie factory and then brought them home to finish in my shop, learning how Bill performed each step. So I kept making and carrying the Greywoodie line of pipes in addition to nQa and Kaywoodie pipes.
Thats very interesting. I would love to learn how to carve pipes. Any wisdom on how to start or where to look for instructions?

Reactions: crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Thats very interesting. I would love to learn how to carve pipes. Any wisdom on how to start or where to look for instructions?
I started with hobby blocks like most. Then I went to pipe shows and befriended makers. I went to NC to train with Jim Brown of Heisenberg Pipes, and PA to learn some from Tony Warner. Then Time Thorpe. Then when I became friends with Bill we talked shop and I got to use all of the old equipment. I bought used equipment from pipe makers upgrading their own. It just takes a lot of time and patience. And inserting yourself into other people's lives. Lol.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Thanks for the history lesson! Makes me even happier to own this pipe:

image.jpg

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
HA d many over the years, down to just one, what I assume to be a Brown University 1940 Class Pipe, although Pipedia's article on class pipes by Brian Robertson shows the 1940 Brown pipe as a billiard, mine is a Canadian. Drinkless, Algerian Briar, Suntan. Maybe they had different shapes offered each year?

View attachment 294670
View attachment 294671
A ton of these were made for different schools. There were likely a few shapes available. They are super cool.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Only nine or ten of those in existence. I kept number zero. Those are from the first release, numbered 1 to 50 but a few shapes. I released them at the first Capitaland Pipe show.
Oh wow! I was happy to know it was 1/50 but even sweeter to know it’s actually 1/10.

What were the other shapes?