PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
My second Dane. First was an Emil Chonowitsch Sandblast Cutty (pic of that pipe already posted previously in this thread), so couldn't resist adding this compact (just under 4.5 inch length) Jess Chonowitsch sandblast in a classic Brandy Lovat shape. Pretty cool having one pipe each made by father and son, I think! While I use the Emil Chonowitsch cutty for afternoon smokes of Virginia-based blends, am dedicating this pipe to evening duty with Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired... (Photo below is from the original listing for the pipe in the Danish Estates section of the smokingpipes.com website.)

jc1.jpg

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
My second Dane. First was an Emil Chonowitsch Sandblast Cutty (pic of that pipe already posted previously in this thread), so couldn't resist adding this compact (just under 4.5 inch length) Jess Chonowitsch sandblast in a classic Brandy Lovat shape. Pretty cool having one pipe each made by father and son, I think! While I use the Emil Chonowitsch cutty for afternoon smokes of Virginia-based blends, am dedicating this pipe to evening duty with Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired... (Photo below is from the original listing for the pipe in the Danish Estates section of the smokingpipes.com website.)

View attachment 231018
Nice! This one looks like it might not have been priced sky high? I’ve had my eye on a few Jess pipes but they are out of my price range even for layaways. 😂

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Nice! This one looks like it might not have been priced sky high? I’ve had my eye on a few Jess pipes but they are out of my price range even for layaways. 😂
Yes, I know what you mean -- prices for Jess' pipes are crazy. This one was only in my range (but still the most expensive pipe I've ever bought) due to a combination of factors: 1) The stem is a replacement (an exact copy of the original, which had a small tooth hole in it, but a replacement nonetheless which reduces retail value more than one might think), 2) Smokingpipes.com was having a sale on all in-stock estate pipes, and 3) Smokingpipes.com was able to give me reasonable trade-in value on several other nice pipes I owned but didn't smoke that much. So I could (in my mind anyways!) rationalize my remaining "out-of-pocket" cash outlay... ;)

nelamvr6

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2023
I love the Danish pipe tradition! I have managed to acquire a few, though there are plenty more that I lust after...

Poul Winslow Crown

rdoVskh.jpg

Neerup Apple

unAkc1g.jpg

And three Stanwells

TRlRnXW.jpg

ilrpbOC.jpg

bGkCbkp.jpg

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Yes, I know what you mean -- prices for Jess' pipes are crazy. This one was only in my range (but still the most expensive pipe I've ever bought) due to a combination of factors: 1) The stem is a replacement (an exact copy of the original, which had a small tooth hole in it, but a replacement nonetheless which reduces retail value more than one might think), 2) Smokingpipes.com was having a sale on all in-stock estate pipes, and 3) Smokingpipes.com was able to give me reasonable trade-in value on several other nice pipes I owned but didn't smoke that much. So I could (in my mind anyways!) rationalize my remaining "out-of-pocket" cash outlay... ;)
That stem looks really well done, I wonder who did it? Was it Adam Davidson? I love his pipes. Not that I’m an expert, but I’ve heard stem work is some of the hardest work for a pipe maker, which is why replacements would bring the price down so much. There is a Former on SP marked way down that has an Adam Davidson stem. I would go for it but the bowl looks too badly charred.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
That stem looks really well done, I wonder who did it? Was it Adam Davidson? I love his pipes. Not that I’m an expert, but I’ve heard stem work is some of the hardest work for a pipe maker, which is why replacements would bring the price down so much. There is a Former on SP marked way down that has an Adam Davidson stem. I would go for it but the bowl looks too badly charred.
Yes indeed, it was Adam Davidson who did the replacement stem. If you look at the following link, the second Chonowitsch shown is the actual one I purchased. The pic shows both the original and the replacement stem. They are indistinguishable from each other (at least to my eye)...

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Yes indeed, it was Adam Davidson who did the replacement stem. If you look at the following link, the second Chonowitsch shown is the actual one I purchased. The pic shows both the original and the replacement stem. They are indistinguishable from each other (at least to my eye)...

Me too, I can’t tell. I really want one of Adam’s pipes but they don’t come available that often.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Hey! I have a Danish pipe and can participate in this thread! Nothing too special or fancy, especially in this crowd. But I like it. 16925416169773035343898263352530.jpg1692541656607199718991270416914.jpg1692541684542384288360385139244.jpg

A Karl Erik I found at a yard sale for $15 (talked him down to $12). I love the length and the panel feels good in my hands. I'm still on the fence with the plateau rim though.

After picking up this pipe I looked up Karl Erik and really liked what I read. His shtick, based on my reading, is quality pipes priced for the working man. How can you not love that?

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
View attachment 156474
My first well made briar and probably the largest bowl I've owned thus far. I'm not a hunter, but it just looked too good to pass up. Wanted to get a peterson at first, but I do not regret this purchase.
Hey sangy, love the fox. I am about to purchase one and I was interested if you could take a size comparison pic( with hand,next to a common object) so I can get an idea of the real size. Not a fan of super small pipes so any help you could throw me would be awesome. By the way, how does it smoke?