PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pyrodoc

Lurker
Dec 5, 2023
Arlington, Texas
Yes, I have been focused on old Brit Woods, but I've pretty well scratched that itch now.

I've decided it's time to look at other pipes. I know very little of Danish pipes other than Stanwells. I have heard of most of the iconic Danish carvers, but have baulked at the prices asked for their "high end" creations.

I'm not attracted to most Danish freehands, in particular plateau tops. What I like most about the Danes are the free flowing lines and curves of their pipes - much more so than most Italians. A lot of Italian carvers seem to "miss the line/curve". Just my opinion ?

I love the way the Danes (and Italians) bring out and emphasise the grain.

W. O. Larsen pipes seem worthy of attention - some expensive ones, but most command very reasonable prices.
I’m a Danish Freehand fanatic!! I find your thoughts interesting, as about five to ten years ago any Dunhill was commanding premium pricing. The Danish Freehands are seemingly making a comeback and yes, the higher quality briars are quite pricey. The Danish masters that took on the bigger Stanwell & Kriswill, like Preben Holm, Karl Erik Ottendahl, W.Ø Larsen, Bjarne Nielsen and even the American Michael Kabik did follow where the briar led them in carving. I truly believe this is why the market shifted, in part, from Rossi to Denmark. Of course, only Nørding survives in Denmark with only a few smaller shops remaining. Times change, tastes change, but honestly with all my restorations over the years, I’ll take a good quality briar from the likes of PH or KE over anything that came out of Great Britain and most of Italy for durability, bowl smoke characteristics and whether that pipe will be useable in a hundred years. Artistically my pref, but I do love my Petersens too.
As for your dislike of plateau tops, I just see it as something necessary for those large bowls, yet cool and filling in the hand. Certainly subjective, but many of those chunky, knarly Freehands take function to the max while following what the briar offered the carver. I do know that both Karl and Preben were obsessive about hand selecting their briars and also their storage warehousing. I am a firm believer that handmade trumps machined when you are trying to respect & follow the wood.
It will be interesting now as top tier aged briars get rarer In the market, what styles will emerge? I see a lot of pear wood coming in, but I’m too old to play with that. Your thoughts? 😁 All the best, Mike

Reactions: PaulRVA

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’m a Danish Freehand fanatic!! I find your thoughts interesting, as about five to ten years ago any Dunhill was commanding premium pricing. The Danish Freehands are seemingly making a comeback and yes, the higher quality briars are quite pricey. The Danish masters that took on the bigger Stanwell & Kriswill, like Preben Holm, Karl Erik Ottendahl, W.Ø Larsen, Bjarne Nielsen and even the American Michael Kabik did follow where the briar led them in carving. I truly believe this is why the market shifted, in part, from Rossi to Denmark. Of course, only Nørding survives in Denmark with only a few smaller shops remaining. Times change, tastes change, but honestly with all my restorations over the years, I’ll take a good quality briar from the likes of PH or KE over anything that came out of Great Britain and most of Italy for durability, bowl smoke characteristics and whether that pipe will be useable in a hundred years. Artistically my pref, but I do love my Petersens too.
As for your dislike of plateau tops, I just see it as something necessary for those large bowls, yet cool and filling in the hand. Certainly subjective, but many of those chunky, knarly Freehands take function to the max while following what the briar offered the carver. I do know that both Karl and Preben were obsessive about hand selecting their briars and also their storage warehousing. I am a firm believer that handmade trumps machined when you are trying to respect & follow the wood.
It will be interesting now as top tier aged briars get rarer In the market, what styles will emerge? I see a lot of pear wood coming in, but I’m too old to play with that. Your thoughts? 😁 All the best, Mike
I’m a curious guy by nature and have pipes made of meerschaum, clay, porcelain, morta, olive wood, cherry wood and even ivory. But pear wood, along with beech and apple seem rather soft and less resistant to burning out, so no interest in those.

As for pipe shapes, I do have a few Danish pipes, other than Stanwells. I love Danish design - and not just pipes.
I love pipes with fine grain, both straight and Birdseye.
While I do appreciate the grain in Danish freehand, a lot of freehands seem cliched to me (a very personal opinion, I must add)

As far as shapes go, my preference is for classicism and understatement as in old Britwoods

Having said that, it must be remembered that most of the shapes we associate with Britwoods are, in fact, of French origin

And the Danes are dab hands at interpreting those classic shapes

Pyrodoc

Lurker
Dec 5, 2023
Arlington, Texas
I’m a curious guy by nature and have pipes made of meerschaum, clay, porcelain, morta, olive wood, cherry wood and even ivory. But pear wood, along with beech and apple seem rather soft and less resistant to burning out, so no interest in those.

As for pipe shapes, I do have a few Danish pipes, other than Stanwells. I love Danish design - and not just pipes.
I love pipes with fine grain, both straight and Birdseye.
While I do appreciate the grain in Danish freehand, a lot of freehands seem cliched to me (a very personal opinion, I must add)

As far as shapes go, my preference is for classicism and understatement as in old Britwoods

Having said that, it must be remembered that most of the shapes we associate with Britwoods are, in fact, of French origin

And the Danes are dab hands at interpreting those classic shapes
Ozpiper, I value your opinions and especially contributions. We agree on almost everything except my love for Danish Freehands. In attempt to court your interest, I pulled two Karl Eriks’ from my ‘awaiting restoration’ box. More classic design, handmade Danish Freehand (though certainly not a wild PH style), these briars don’t suck and they are both solid pipesIMG_1473.jpeg. Both draw smooth as silk.
So do we have some common ground on these Danes and our aesthetics? Functionally, they are consummate smokers!! Have a good one my friend. 😁

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Ozpiper, I value your opinions and especially contributions. We agree on almost everything except my love for Danish Freehands. In attempt to court your interest, I pulled two Karl Eriks’ from my ‘awaiting restoration’ box. More classic design, handmade Danish Freehand (though certainly not a wild PH style), these briars don’t suck and they are both solid pipesView attachment 278199. Both draw smooth as silk.
So do we have some common ground on these Danes and our aesthetics? Functionally, they are consummate smokers!! Have a good one my friend. 😁
Quite a coincidence - Just posted a Karl Erik sandblast on WAYS on Sunday 😁

Reactions: dunnyboy

Hope

Lurker
Mar 7, 2023
I love Tao’s pipes but I agree about the price. I will certainly never be able to experience that unpleasant harvest.
Yes, I own several of Tao's works, and without exception they are very good to use. He has amazing control over lines, although they are expensive... If it were cheaper, I believe he would be the best choice. one.

Sturmgewehr

Lurker
Nov 25, 2023
Alberta, Canada
This Knute of Denmark pipe used to belong to my late Father in law. I sent it off for a stem to be fitted as the original one was misplaced and not with the stummel when I received his collection. I don't think he smoked it more than a handful of times. I fired up a bowl in her the other day. It was probably the first time in 15-20 years....and she smoked great. Such a beautiful piece of art. Cheers!

1000010509.jpg

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
A bunch of sweet Danish Estes have been dropping at Bisgaard. I got one of the Ilsteds, but I figured y’all folks might be interested, the nice ones probably won’t last.
I noticed that at least some of those unsmoked estates are more expensive that new pipes from other shops (same pipe maker and same pipe model. Formers rusticated apple is one example).

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I noticed that at least some of those unsmoked estates are more expensive that new pipes from other shops (same pipe maker and same pipe model. Formers rusticated apple is one example).
Well, some are much cheaper, the bangs and Ilsteds, for instance. I wonder if they are more because they are old? Who knows.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Carvers shaping evolves over time. Each year is like a physical portfolio of their progress and become more desirable to collectors.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Yes, I own several of Tao's works, and without exception they are very good to use. He has amazing control over lines, although they are expensive... If it were cheaper, I believe he would be the best choice. one.
It seems as though once Tao started making his short, chunky, masculine pipes the price sky-rocketed. Those pipes are now his signature style and having a signature style increases their desirability. This is true of painters and sculptors too. Although all pipes have gotten more expensive over the past few years, Tao's have become especially dear. They are beautiful though.

Reactions: Ben.R.C