New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Now THAT is some quality threading on the stem. Built to last generations.

View attachment 264530
The silver work on the pipe is quite fine, the strange thing was that there was essentially a Bakelite bushing between what was left of the amber stem and the interior bore of the ferrule. I'm not 100% sure what its purpose was, but I assume it was some sort of thermal expansion/contraction buffer to keep the amber from cracking. Unnecessary with the new acrylic bit now though.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Can’t tell from the picture. Let us know what nomenclature is stamped on it.

Such a compact shape. Not much as far as nomenclature. No shape numbers. Just Barling London England.

Attachments

• IMG_8605.jpeg
    IMG_8605.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8604.jpeg
    IMG_8604.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8608.jpeg
    IMG_8608.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8606.jpeg
    IMG_8606.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8607.jpeg
    IMG_8607.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 18

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is a really strange one. It’s not a product of the Barling factories, and it doesn’t look like anything that either Oppenheimer or Charatan would have made.
Could have been an attempt at a quaint, maybe a different subcontractor. I was thinking maybe early ’80’s, when Barling was restarted after the IP was bought from Imperial, but it doesn’t look like any of those that I’ve seen.
It’s just a very odd duck.

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
This is a really strange one. It’s not a product of the Barling factories, and it doesn’t look like anything that either Oppenheimer or Charatan would have made.
Could have been an attempt at a quaint, maybe a different subcontractor. I was thinking maybe early ’80’s, when Barling was restarted after the IP was bought from Imperial, but it doesn’t look like any of those that I’ve seen.
It’s just a very odd duck.

Yeah, it reminded me a little of a Charatan with the shape and blast. The drilling in the stem is imperfect. The lot of pipes it came in had several inexpensive pipes with it. A lot of those colored Dr Grabow pipes (whenever they were popular). My guess is late 60s to late 70s given the lot

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeah, it reminded me a little of a Charatan with the shape and blast. The drilling in the stem is imperfect. The lot of pipes it came in had several inexpensive pipes with it. A lot of those colored Dr Grabow pipes (whenever they were popular). My guess is late 60s to late 70s given the lot
Not '60's as this just doesn't look like any Barling factory product, so 70's and beyond, when Imperial was trying to give the line a makeover in the hope of recapturing market.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For reasons that I go into on the Pipedia Barling page, “Transition Era” is a meaningless term. I’ve lumped together the transition and post transition periods under the term “Corporate Era”.
Quaints from this period were made in multiples, in 6 different designs, as near as I can tell, each design assigned a single digit number. This pipe appears to be one of those.

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
For reasons that I go into on the Pipedia Barling page, “Transition Era” is a meaningless term. I’ve lumped together the transition and post transition periods under the term “Corporate Era”.
Quaints from this period were made in multiples, in 6 different designs, as near as I can tell, each design assigned a single digit number. This pipe appears to be one of those.
I don’t know if the world is ready for Corporate Era terminology yet! 😄 I’ll read up on it. Thank you!

Reactions: sablebrush52