PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
Posted this in the “What are You Smoking” thread this morning, but a buddy’s dad just made this for me as a late 40th bday gift. Not only does his dad make knives, but he is a former pipe smoker, so when my buddy told him I needed something to cut up plug tobacco, he knew exactly what I needed! Such a cool and unexpected bday surprise!
0C41DC91-D8F1-4F15-A8E8-9F1614DA6162.jpeg

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
These douk douk knives are sharp but god are they cheaply made.
That was part of the draw for me. I needed something that could get beat up, but still had a slip joint. Was looking at a Mercator, but in the end being able to walk into a store and walk out with my purchase won. I've sanded down the rough edges on the handle, but the blade is centered and the carbon steel is sharp as hell. I'm liking it so far and would consider replacing it if it broke. Also wouldn't mind the smaller one either. The big one is good for work, but a smaller blade would be better for EDC.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That was part of the draw for me. I needed something that could get beat up, but still had a slip joint. Was looking at a Mercator, but in the end being able to walk into a store and walk out with my purchase won. I've sanded down the rough edges on the handle, but the blade is centered and the carbon steel is sharp as hell. I'm liking it so far and would consider replacing it if it broke. Also wouldn't mind the smaller one either. The big one is good for work, but a smaller blade would be better for EDC.
I prefer having the lock of the Mercator. Though I see they are a bit harder to find now, they were plentiful when I got my pair. I carry the stainless daily and the carbon sits in my desk drawer. Even though the carbon is sharper, I prefer the non-hassle upkeep of the stainless blade for daily use.

it has the same basic construction of the douk douk, but more well executed and with the lockback.

Reactions: Ethan and JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.