PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ClinchKnot

Lurker
Jul 3, 2023
Virginia
It is a fair question. I had a postal clerk tell me I couldn’t ship tobacco within the States after I divulged the contents of a package. I think she was dead wrong about that, but rather than get into beef with my local post office I just began shipping a lot of smelly “pen blanks” and “clothes”.

Reactions: Jahman7

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
Well. When the USPS worker found out it was tobacco, I was informed I could not ship it. So, I assumed from that that there are regulations...

If not, I'll ship. If there are, I will not ship illegally. Simple as that. I would, however, like to find a way to ship legally.

With all that is said, it seems wise to check with UPS or FedEx.

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Well. When the USPS worker found out it was tobacco, I was informed I could not ship it. So, I assumed from that that there are regulations...
Never underestimate the ability of workers to not know what they are talking about at their jobs. I used to shoot competitively and am very at ease with explaining USPS’, TSA’s, airline’s, etc’s own policies to their workers that have tried to shoot down what I was doing.
The best weapon is their own published regs, and it’s worth it to read them yourself, and then enjoy saying “really? May I speak to your supervisor?”
If it were USPS’ policy to not ship tobacco I wouldn’t be so good at sneaking boxes from the mailbox past my wife.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey

If not, I'll ship. If there are, I will not ship illegally. Simple as that. I would, however, like to find a way to ship legally.

With all that is said, it seems wise to check with UPS or FedEx.
It is absolutely, 100% allowable. That person was either misinformed or purposely denying you.

Even cigarette and smokeless tobacco are shippable in gift quantities.

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
It is absolutely, 100% allowable. That person was either misinformed or purposely denying you.

Even cigarette and smokeless tobacco are shippable in gift quantities.

Very helpful. I appreciate it.

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
It is a fair question. I had a postal clerk tell me I couldn’t ship tobacco within the States after I divulged the contents of a package. I think she was dead wrong about that, but rather than get into beef with my local post office I just began shipping a lot of smelly “pen blanks” and “clothes”.
What service are you using? I believe with UPS and some others you have to declare what your shipping. You do not have to declare anything with USPS.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
It's none of their business what you're shipping, unless hazardous material or you're using a special class for something it wasn't intended to be used for, like sending blocks of cement via 4th class/media mail. use another clerk and avoid that one. I don't say this to be adversarial or to be covert. I'm no libertarian or anarchist. The PO is a public service, and you have the right to use it. This isn't about the law, but about this person's ignorance and/or arrogance.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
"Vintage T-Shirts" or whatever floats your boat.

...make your own list.
I agree its not their business but the clerks are trained (or half trained) to ask.

Also as a previous heavy user of USPS, dont waste your money on priority. It makes very little difference in time. Use your own box and save a lot. A former postal associate informed me that first class and priority travel in the same bags. The bulk rate priority can save money if you ship something heavy and small otherwise go first class.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Reactions: Sobrbiker

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nope certain tobacco products aren't supposed to be shipped in the mail. The exceptions are basically pipe tobacco and cigars.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Why do you have to be so candid? It's none of their troutin' business what's in the box: mail is private. If they persist in their nosiness just write "entertainment supplies".

Unti they start X-raying the parcels (which I'm thinking it'll be soon) you're OK to ship whatever you want.

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
Why do you have to be so candid? It's none of their troutin' business what's in the box: mail is private. If they persist in their nosiness just write "entertainment supplies".

Unti they start X-raying the parcels (which I'm thinking it'll be soon) you're OK to ship whatever you want.
Isn't it for that reason that they will potentially start x-raying packages? Untrustworthy patrons taking advantage of the rules/system?

Again, if it's illegal, I won't do it, period.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Isn't it for that reason that they will potentially start x-raying packages? Untrustworthy patrons taking advantage of the rules/system?

Again, if it's illegal, I won't do it, period.
Suit yourself. But quite a few members have pointed out already that it is NOT illegal under present legislation.

They will x-ray or even open parcels not because you or others are shipping what is currently legal to ship, but because we're heading into an panopticonial system that will criminalise all kinds of normal behaviour to exert control over everyone. It is a submissive, 'yessir', model-citizen approach and attitude that is enabling the panopticon, not some 'rebels' who want privacy and exploit loopholes.