PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Isn't it for that reason that they will potentially start x-raying packages? Untrustworthy patrons taking advantage of the rules/system?

Again, if it's illegal, I won't do it, period.
This person said it wasn't allowed. They were wrong. It's both legal and allowed. They made up a rule. There's zero reason for you to follow it. maybe you're not telling us the full story? It wasn't odd to start, but it is beginning to be so.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
25 million domestic parcels are handled a day. Xray…no way. Thats about 300 per second in a 24 hour day.

Usps cant touch more than one percent of mail fraud. They have more to do than worry about someone shipping a few tins to a family member.

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
Suit yourself. But quite a few members have pointed out already that it is NOT illegal under present legislation.

They will x-ray or even open parcels not because you or others are shipping what is currently legal to ship, but because we're heading into an panopticonial system that will criminalise all kinds of normal behaviour to exert control over everyone. It is a submissive, 'yessir', model-citizen approach and attitude that is enabling the panopticon, not some 'rebels' who want privacy and exploit loopholes.
Sounds like a conspiracy theory...

In the end, I'll step up to the occasion of defending our freedom to live lives that do no harm to ourselves and others. However, I'll choose to do this through the system - not in spite of it.

Too many confuse accountability as an encroachment of freedoms. This is unfortunately one of the demises of freedom.

Thanks to all for your help with understanding what is and is not legal regarding shipping tobacco. In the end, I will work alongside my fellow citizens (including the less knowledgeable workers at USPS) to ship my tobacco to my brother (and others).

Reactions: fireground_piper

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
This person said it wasn't allowed. They were wrong. It's both legal and allowed. They made up a rule. There's zero reason for you to follow it. maybe you're not telling us the full story? It wasn't odd to start, but it is beginning to be so.
Agreed. If they don't know what they are saying according to their own rules, maybe there is poor training and their supervisor needs to be informed.

Anyway, regardless, not worth the fight here or there. This has certainly gotten odd.

Reactions: jpberg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Agreed. If they don't know what they are saying according to their own rules, maybe there is poor training and their supervisor needs to be informed.

Anyway, regardless, not worth the fight here or there. This has certainly gotten odd.
Do not attribute malfeasance to a lack of training when personal ideology and malicious intent are the more likely culprits. Acquiescence to misbehaving government workers is the most insidious way to surrender your freedoms. Don’t do it.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Sounds like a conspiracy theory...

In the end, I'll step up to the occasion of defending our freedom to live lives that do no harm to ourselves and others. However, I'll choose to do this through the system - not in spite of it.

Too many confuse accountability as an encroachment of freedoms. This is unfortunately one of the demises of freedom.

Thanks to all for your help with understanding what is and is not legal regarding shipping tobacco. In the end, I will work alongside my fellow citizens (including the less knowledgeable workers at USPS) to ship my tobacco to my brother (and others).
Use the USPS online shipping system if you can print your own labels. I box, purchase and label everything at home and just drop the box off at the clerk ready to go. Since I don't ship cigarettes or smokeless tobacco (restricted items), you don't need to declare package contents as the shipped items don't fall within the required categories for declaration.

Remove the worker out of your equation and then they can't incorrectly block you purposely or ignorantly.

May 14, 2024
United States
The real question is, how do you ship US-to-England/Europe? It's not illegal, but it seems everyone refuses to offer the service. And yet I see that some people get it accomplished anyways. How?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
No I dont know. Honestly, there are so many laws and they vary from country to country. As a shipper I would decline too. Its just not worth bothering with and then you get stuck dealing with packages that people wont pay customs on when they get slammed with a huge fee. Im not suprised they wont ship it. Its not worth their time and effort.

Reactions: paulfg and warren