PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
A couple weeks ago I pulled into a parking lot to do a quick search for direction. The location I stopped at happened to be the parking lot for a Memory Care facility.
Starting the next day, and continuing for about 10 days, I kept getting FB ads for nursing homes.
No, we’re not being traced.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Don't be so quick to dismiss this threat. TikTok gains access to all the other apps on a phone to gain a network of interactions and information. They are working on AI to influence our kids through the videos they see. It is not silly when our youth want to change gender (as an example) and destroy society in many other ways, which is almost entirely due to exposure and repeated positive reinforcement of thought on social media apps.

If they can destroy us from within, no need to use global politics. If they can influence the next generation to abhor the military, we will not be able to exert any influence. The communists have a long term plan and they will be patient. Our apathy is concerning.
You are correct. Those who mock this line of thinking as just a slippery slope mentality are in error. History is showing that the slippery slope is real.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I've noticed that my phone:

- assumes I need to/want to lose some weight
- assumes I have an enlarged prostate and am having trouble peeing
- really wants me to meet single Ukrainian women (they are just waiting for me...)
- and can help me clear up my blurry vision with a simple nighttime ice hack

At least I know someone really is looking out for me. ;)

Smoking Pipe402

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2023
Fairbury, NE
Here in Nebraska we have a restaurant chain called Runza. The other day at work we were talking about Runza a few minutes later my phone buzzed and the map app popped up and said the nearest Runza is 2.4 miles away. I always new they were listing that just proved it to me.

Reactions: tklee

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Don't be so quick to dismiss this threat. TikTok gains access to all the other apps on a phone to gain a network of interactions and information. They are working on AI to influence our kids through the videos they see. It is not silly when our youth want to change gender (as an example) and destroy society in many other ways, which is almost entirely due to exposure and repeated positive reinforcement of thought on social media apps.

If they can destroy us from within, no need to use global politics. If they can influence the next generation to abhor the military, we will not be able to exert any influence. The communists have a long term plan and they will be patient. Our apathy is concerning.
Google “neurostrike” and open source capabilities of foreign governments that can influence, control, or harm the decision making abilities of their adversaries. Not sci-fi.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Yes, it happens to me all the time. The most shameless time was, I was asking a friend (and fellow pipe smoker) for recommendations about the mechanic who fixes his motorcycle in a private conversation between two people on WhatsApp. It was to get out of that conversation and enter the social media to start seeing advertisements for motorcycle repair shops in my area.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Do you guys notice, ever since we had smart phone, especially recently.... Sometimes, when we were face to face talking about something with our friends, not even text messages or using any apps on the phone, let's say we were talking about some products, the next day, or a few days after that, some advertisement regarding that product that we were talking about, would pop up in our social media, like FaceBook or Instagram 😲 It's like..... Somehow, someway, somebody was listening to our conversation 😱😱😱

I was talking to my colleague during our dinner about the air purifier that my wife bought a two days ago. Just now, my colleague showed me the advertisement that popped up in his Instagram, asked me whether that was the one my wife bought. Exactly the same brand and same model! And we were just talking the other day, and it was me who showed him the picture, he didn't even take his phone out to search for the product! 😱 Somebody is listening....... 🥶🥶😰😰😱😱😱

View attachment 222359
Maybe if we all start talking about better quality smooth natural Peterson Deluxe pipes they will start making more !