PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Do you guys notice, ever since we had smart phone, especially recently.... Sometimes, when we were face to face talking about something with our friends, not even text messages or using any apps on the phone, let's say we were talking about some products, the next day, or a few days after that, some advertisement regarding that product that we were talking about, would pop up in our social media, like FaceBook or Instagram 😲 It's like..... Somehow, someway, somebody was listening to our conversation 😱😱😱

I was talking to my colleague during our dinner about the air purifier that my wife bought a two days ago. Just now, my colleague showed me the advertisement that popped up in his Instagram, asked me whether that was the one my wife bought. Exactly the same brand and same model! And we were just talking the other day, and it was me who showed him the picture, he didn't even take his phone out to search for the product! 😱 Somebody is listening....... 🥶🥶😰😰😱😱😱

spooky-yes.gif

Yep, it doesn't even take a few days. My wife and I can be discussing a tent sale, and tents will pop up in our feed. We just said the word "tent" and it showed up camping tents, even though we were discussing a sale somewhere.

There is something in Siri that does this. I have never used Siri, because I would make me feel stupid to talk to my phone. I have never accessed it, but yet it spies on us.
And, yet politicians seem to be passing laws about a silly kids app called TikTock. Like China is going to invade us based on information it gleams from 14 year old kids and adults that make silly harmless videos.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
There is something in Siri that does this. I have never used Siri, because I would make me feel stupid to talk to my phone. I have never accessed it, but yet it spies on us.
And, yet politicians seem to be passing laws about a silly kids app called TikTock. Like China is going to invade us based on information it gleams from 14 year old kids and adults that make silly harmless videos.
Exactly..... My colleague's and phone are not even iPhone. And very much like you, we don't use "Hey Google" 😁

Ya... Yet they were talking about TikTok. What about FaceBook, Instagram, Google and WhatssApp? 🤔

My wife uses facebook on her phone and this happens all the time. I don't know what's worse, that it's happening or that we know it is and shrug our shoulders about it.
It is weird, but really it is merely an attempt to give us more meaningful marketing. Evasive, yes. Scary, not really to me.
A more annoying approach to target marketing is when Hulu asks me to pick which commercial they show me. The arcade feature. It is like having to pick which torture my interrogators will use on me. Thumbscrews, head vise, or waterboarding?

WhatssApp? 🤔
WhatsApp bothers me. I got it to talk to one of our forum members who lives overseas. Apparently, they can't just call me from where he is. But, I got rid of it when a friend of mine got a call, and as soon as he answered it, it took over his phone locking him out from his data and bank accounts in milliseconds.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
It is weird, but really it is merely an attempt to give us more meaningful marketing. Evasive, yes. Scary, not really to me.
A more annoying approach to target marketing is when Hulu asks me to pick which commercial they show me. The arcade feature. It is like having to pick which torture my interrogators will use on me. Thumbscrews, head vise, or waterboarding?
Agree it's useful for meaningful marketing. More "closeup" to what's the hot topic among people / consumers. But I wonder, who would get the information? How could it be so accurate like, up to the level of exactly the same brand and same model 😅

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
WhatsApp bothers me. I got it to talk to one of our forum members who lives overseas. Apparently, they can't just call me from where he is. But, I got rid of it when a friend of mine got a call, and as soon as he answered it, it took over his phone locking him out from his data and bank accounts in milliseconds.
Wowwww! Ya.... Recently there are some unknown number missed calls on my WhatsApp too. Weird, my phone never rang, but there were 3 missed calls. I never answer unknown number calls.

But WhatsApp is commonly used here. It's almost essential. Like bosses, bosses' bosses, customers, all communicate through WhatsApp 😓

I have no idea how it works. But, things I have discussed with friends is whether it could be used to find people who break the law. Of course it couldn't be used in court, but it could be a good way to scan the humanity to find people planning nefarious things. But, then what if it just overhears us listening to a crime show or action movie and something said on media triggers the NSA.

But WhatsApp is commonly used here.
Maybe it merely targets Americans? No idea. It is strange that someone from there can't just dial my number. Maybe add a US area code first? IDK

Reactions: JOHN72 and tklee

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I have no idea how it works. But, things I have discussed with friends is whether it could be used to find people who break the law. Of course it couldn't be used in court, but it could be a good way to scan the humanity to find people planning nefarious things. But, then what if it just overhears us listening to a crime show or action movie and something said on media triggers the NSA.
But, too bad, it just doesn't happen in that way 😅 Thinking of it..... Ya..... Why don't they use it to catch criminal? Or maybe can even stop some criminal and prevent it from happening 🤔

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Back in the late 90s, I remember a text file called the "Anarchist's Cookbook" circulating on the Internet. It certainly contained info that could be used for bad, but it was fascinating for the rest of us who just wanted to learn more about how things worked.

Probably not wise to Google that one anymore, you'll get put on a list for sure!