PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Alright, this thread did it for me. I picked up some fresh soap and a new cheap brush today, I will dig out the DE tonight and clean it up. If I can stick with it for a month, Im buying myself some better equipment.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I use a Gillette double edge I got on eBay years ago. I also have my grandfathers old double edge razors but they are not adjustable like my Gillette. I tried shaving with one of my grandfathers razors and it took 8 layers of skin off my face. I get a good shave with the Gillette set on a 2. I use Colonel Conk bay rum shaving soap in an apocrathy mug with a badger hair brush. I use witch hazel for after shave. Oh, and I use persona blades. I just ordered 100 razors on amazon for almost eleven dollars. I like that price. I was buying wilkinson sword razors from Walmart but they didn't have them last week when I looked. I think it's a conspiracy with the big razor companies that they didn't have them.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Well, this is another fine mess you guys have gotten me into. Just ordered A DE safety razor package (razor, brush, mug, soap, stand) and blade sampler package! Thanks Mike S. Your shaving101.com site is amazing.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
If anyone else, like myself, shaves their head with a razor. I highly recommend the Head Blade. There's a slight learning curve to start, but once you get the hang of it it makes shaving the noggin real easy. It's like a mini-lawnmower for your head. (It has wheels...)

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I use the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Razor. With all due respect, this is one item that keeps getting better with technology. If you have sensitive skin like I do, always buy the latest.
I used to use one of these, but they blunt so fast it's just not worth the money.
I use a straight razor I bought in a junk shop years ago, with Kent shaving soap and a brush I bought from a shop equally long ago. I've just run out of sodding soap though, which pissed me off.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
After re-reading this post, I was inspired to update my razor and brush. I spent a lot of time at the shaving101 site and learned more than I thought possible.
Just bought a Merkur 34C & 1904, and Vulfix 660 and silver tip badger brushes. I like Taylor of Bond Street shaving soap for sensitive skin.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
I use a Gillette double edge safety razor that belonged to my great-grandfather. I have a shave mug and some Colonel Conk's shave soap bayrum scented. I use Clubman Pinaud as an aftershave. I grew a full beard last year that I love so much that I will NEVER shave it off, but I do sometimes shave my cheeks and underneath it and the back of my neck. After using a safety razor, I refused to use a cartridge razor again.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Is now the time to admit that I use an old French Onion soup bowl with a lid for my soap bowl? Not fancy, but works for me. I'm curious about the aluminum or stainless steel bowls.
After looking at the shaving101 site, I smiled when I noted that a lot of people have a razor and brush rotation. And here I thought we were "special" . . .

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Nothing wrong with that Plateau, I use a mulled wine mug my mrs got from a german christmas market years ago :P And when I'm travelling I use an old tin of presbyterian.
It amazes me how people manage to make some things so fetishistic, why on earth would you need a razor and brush rotation? That's the daftest thing I've ever heard.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Plat don't feel odd I use a sterling silver baby cup we found in our 100 year old house when we cut it in half and moved it. No use for it for other things, I use my Fathers soap brush, Merkuer long handle, don't use special soap cut up bars of soap a local lady makes that don't have harsh chemicals in it, smells good, good lather. Retired, don't go anywhere but on farm so I don't have to shave every day.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Ang that's right, moved it 8 miles to my 81 acres, when I retired went to a gated community at a small fishing village, wasn't really happy, had remission on cancer, one night my wife who loves to shop and was far from town, farm was 10 miles from shopping, looked at me and said You ain't gonna die are you, Nope I said You want to move. Told her find your house but it's gonna go on the farm. She found an old 1900s house, movers cut it in half and moved it on my farm. Been happy ever since, land my grandfather had for over 100 years, land where I hunted as a boy, found arrowheads, learned how to ride a horse Happy Happy Happy.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I just got into shaving with a DE when I bought the chrome Merkur Mike was selling on here. I've had a total of three shaves with it and am loving it. The first two were with a Personna blade he included but with this last one I switched to a Shark blade, which gave me a much closer shave. I am shaving my head for that nice bald look and using it to touch up my beard.
I am hooked. Still have to get a brush and soap though, just been using the normal canned stuff I used with the disposables.
Thanks, Mike!

Aug 14, 2012
Lets see....shaving. That is when you scrape your face regularly with a sharpened piece of steel in order to please other people. Nope, ain't done it in years. See picture on left.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
Well, I'm ready to give this a go. I picked up a Gillette Tech razor on ebay for a a nice price. Now I need to find the rest of the equipment. I guess I need a good badger brush, a cake of soap with a mug and a stand for the shower to hold razor and brush. If anyone can recommend some of these products I would appreciate it. TB

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I use a Mercur 33C DE and Proraso shaving cream. Currently, I'm using Derby blades that I got at $10 for 100 on Amazon. May switch to something sharper later. The DE is perfect for anyone with facial hair who needs something precise.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I keep a beard during the cold months, and during the rest of the year I use a Gillette mach whatever 2 blade razor, sometimes a straight razor when feeling fancy. For lather I use wilkonson sword soap and brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.