PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
1953 Gillette Super speed...only gets used 5 months out of the year though, the rest it's scissors and clipper. :wink:

Oh, and I second everything Mike says about wet shaving, gave up on the multi blades about 3 years ago and returned to what I learned to shave with, and will remain with it. Let them invent all they want.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I make my own shave soap. Been making it a couple years now. Finally got it down to a great recipe, and dont have to worry about burning my face off! I use a standard gillette pro glide with my home made shave soap and my shave brush.

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
I just recently started using a double edge safety razor. I purchased a 'complete' set online, razor(merkur 23c), brush(Vulfix 660 Super badger), mug, stand and soap(edwin jagger natural). I added a sample pack of blades; derby, precision, astra and dorco. I quite like how this method works, less ingrown hairs and irritation.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have a nice Frank Shaving Silver Tip brush which I love. I get soap from Walgreens, For a razor, I use several different multi-blade razors. I read that it's oxidization that ruins blades. I dry my blade after every shave and they last for well over a month. I generally use caned shave cream during the work week but on the weekend, it's a pleasure to shave.

Mike S.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Mike, your site is truly awesome, with a splendid wealth of information. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I got my first shaving brush in 1963, and still have it. Along the way I've picked up several brushes of varying quality including some top shelf silver tip badgers that I enjoy daily. I have a Mergress razor, perhaps one of the the best safety razors going, a Merkur Vision, Merkur Futur, and several other razors of excellent quality. My collection of soaps and creams will probably last longer than I will. Yes, I've tried the various Multi-bladed contraptions, and they shave reasonably well, but not as luxuriously as my safety razors. And shaving cream in a can? No way. It's not the same thing only different. The soap I work up on my brush is a luxury lather that preps and softens my beard, in a way no canned shaving soap catn. Once you've tried it, you'll never go back. I also have a straight, but my hand just isn't up to it, and I don't want to do a Sweeney,Todd on myself, especially since I shave in the shower.
And here's the thing, especially for you forum members who are reading this thread just out of curiosity: wet shaving takes an every day hygienic act and turns it into a luxury experience. Yes your face will be well shaved, it will feel smooth, but the big thing is you will feel like a million bucks. It takes a few minutes longer, but it's certainly worth it.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Tried the whole DE razor thing, after a while it became a PITA. Still use a brush with Yardley Lavender with my Fusion and get a better shave. If I had a white-collar job I would probably take the time to do the DE thing!

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
I guess I'll have to try out a safety razor. I'll keep my eye out on ebay for deals on some of the types you guys have mentioned.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Just picked up the baby on Ebay, 1964 j4 Gillette Slim Adut. razor 1-9
10dceuw.jpg

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I used to use DE safety razors and loved them … until I couldn't get blades locally anymore about 15 years ago. A month or so ago I bought a cheap Chinese DE three piece from Amazon and liked it a fair bit. So I went back and got the Parker 99 heavyweight I really wanted and LOVE it! I use either Feather or Shark blades. And I just got a cheap soap, bowl, brush set (all from Amazon since none is readily available locally) which does a nice job; I couldn't find any of my stuff from 15 years ago! LOL
I use Afta aftershave lotion, have for a long time and like it a lot: an actual lotion, not liquid.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I had a really great shave today. Here's a question: how many people who shave with a multi bladed razor and goop in a can can say that? I suspect that all they will say is "I shaved today." They probably don't think about it except as something they've got to do, whereas we went shavers look forward to shaving and relish the experience. It's sort of like smoking a really good pipe – it takes a little bit of time to get things going, but once you do, the experience is worth it. Wet shaving takes a few more minutes out of your day, and if you're willing to take that time, and it need not be more than five, you will have a daily experience that you will come to relish rather than merely get through. And the really good news is that once you invest in a good razor and a decent brush you will find that over time the cost is far, far less than those expensive cartridges. Here's another piece of good news: A cartridge razor depends upon pressure to get the job done, thereby irritating the skin, whereas a DD Razor relies on the lightest of touches and multiple passes to reduce the beard. Far, far easier on the skin. Those of us who are wet shavers are able to treat ourselves to a luxury experience on a daily basis. Again, I suspect that no one who uses a cartridge razor and goop in a can can say that.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Straight razor and I think art of shaving has the best smelling soap. I use a plisson brush, dubl duck, and a puma mostly but I have to many straight razors. I also have a way of getting you guys a good brush made if you might want one !!!

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
The brush in the stand is made here locally if any of you guys are interested. The other brush is my plisson it is a size 16 (which is big) I put it in there for comparison. Any how it is something to spend money on other than pipe tobacco :)

shave-brushes-150x112.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
For 5 days of the week, I use an electric razor and miss spots so I look like a dog with mange (I get up at 3:30 every morning so I shave with my eyes closed). I give everything a rest on Saturday and on Sunday I use my dad's WWII razor. I use Nivea Post Shave Balm for sensitive skin.

shubie416

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
I am using a Merkur 1904 Razor ,Badger hair brush ,Omega shaving soap ,Lucky Tiger After Shave and Feather razor blades

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Like others here, I like the ritual of wet shaving. It is indeed a lot like the "fiddling" of pipe smoking (that's my wife's term, not mine lol). And as also mentioned, I actually look forward to shaving now, much as I did way back when. In fact, I've been down in my back the last few days and haven't shaved and am looking forward to it tomorrow already!

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Shaving? Started my beard in the fall of '75 and except for a few months of job hunting in '80 it's been on my face ever since. While woking I kept it neatly trimmed but after retiring I'm letting it grow. It's about 10" long and growing. Shaving? Bah humbug! :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.