PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
What do you use to shave ,what type of razor- soap shaving creams, and after shaves?
I use a 1962 Gillette super speed adjustble safety razor, I like Line after shave or Bay Rum.

I also use any kind of can shave cream.

Aug 1, 2012
I don't shave. I have a nice pair of barber's shears and 2 different beard trimmers depending on what length I want but shaving went the way of the dodo for me about 12 years ago.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
1962 Gillette Fat boy slim double edge safety razor, antique old spice shaving mug, shaving soap from wal mart that does fine, and blades that I can find locally. My investment in brush, mug, and razor was $26. Antique stores are my friend.

B

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
My friends thought I was mad for getting into real shaving. Back home I have a respectable collection- a few Superspeeds ('40s and '50s type) about four Techs, a Slim, an Old Type and a few others I've forgotten about. I've also got 5 straights, but I can't decided which is my favourite. My basic Dovo 5/8 works well but my Wappi I always takes me by surprise- must get it rescaled at some point. In Jiangsu I'm using a 34C and have a '40s S/S and a Muhle.....R89 I think is the model number, plus a couple of Omegas. I am using 7 O' Clock Yellows right now but have had to make do with Dove bar instead of a real shaving soap- the only stuff I have found out here is a Korean brand, which actually works very well but is $12 for a small bar which lasts under a fortnight! I found most soaps and creams work well but I do not like mint in my lather- it seems cheap somehow.
Glad to see some members who take the time to groom and appreciate other examples of good design.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
A couple of different brushes, but I use a Parker razor with feather stainless blades. I rotate btwn proraso original, mühle buckthorn, Harrison Windsor, Truefitt & Hill 1805. The 1805 is probably my favorite in terms of scent, but nothing on the planet beats the lather of the proraso...
I also blend my own aftershaves! Current rotation: patchouli lime. Patchouli orange tea tree. And a geranium-lavender. I made some real steamers while practicing but seem to have gotten the ratios down. Think next time I sit down to make one I'm going to try a bay rum... Damn things last forever though so I have a lot to run through first!

Jan 8, 2013
I tried getting into this a while back, loved it. Really need to go out and buy some more blades. Ive got one of those crappy walmart brushes, the cheap soap, which actually works pretty good. Cant remember what the razor is, but its a double edged.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have a Gilet super speed from the 1950's. Also an Edwin Jäger 89. I think that's the model? Two brushes, Palmolive and Proraso green soaps. I always associated Palmolive with dish soap. I got a tube of it in a gift pack for Christmas and darn if it isn't some awesome shave soap! After shaves, Bay Rum, old spice, club man, aqua velva, depending on my mood. If I want the wife happy, I go for bay rum.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Like captainsousie, I don't haha I've had a beard now for about four years. The pipe and beard have become synonymous with me, so giving up either is like giving up a piece of my being :lol:

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have wanted to try this soap with a tobacco scent to it but have not tried it yet.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com/tabac-shave-soap-refill/

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
For scent I use Terre Pur, L'Instant De Guerlain, Farhenheit and I did have a sampler of Code, which worked well and lasted for >10 hours on me. I have half a botte of Boss but it is too sweet, so I've used most of it as air freshener! I like L'Egoiste but it is a bit one-dimensional. There was another Chanel I tried that was just out of this world.....for an hour, then smelled of nothing. Many houses have faded as time has gone by and certain key ingredients have become il-legal due to one person in ten thousand having a mild skin reaction to it. This makes no sense, but Humanity's appproach to risk has always been cock-eyed.

I want to try a Semogue boar brush and of course there are now some Artisanal DE razors out there which look very interesting, not least the Feather All Stainless.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm pretty low maintenance. I can dry shave with a double blade disposable razor if I keep on top of my grooming every day. If I get behind a few days I just use a bit of soap and water. I also have a beard and moustache trimmer I use every few days.
I don't like artificial scents on others so I don't use any myself.

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
Merkur 38C, Astra Superior Platinum Blades, Proraso soap, and an Edwin Jagger Best Badger Shaving Brush.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I use the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Razor. With all due respect, this is one item that keeps getting better with technology. If you have sensitive skin like I do, always buy the latest.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I have been into traditional wet shaving for around 8 or so years now. I have been fortunate to become good friends with a few guys in the shaving products industry as well as start my own site for educational info and reviews on various shaving products such as razors, brushes, soaps, creams, etc. When I started it was all about finding a more enjoyable way to accomplish the mundane task of shaving and I quickly became very interested in the history and the various aspects of it all.
Since I do quite a few reviews, I've wound up amassing quite a collection of shaving accessories. I have various razors from Merkur/Dovo, Parker, Edwin Jagger, Muhle, iKon, PILS, as well as a nice interchangable system from Above the Tie that I enjoy. I also developed quite the acquisition disorder for brushes and have an assortment from Simpsons, Rooney, Kent, Semogue, Vulfix and a few others. There are also various strops, paddles, honing stones, etc. I keep around for maintaining my straight razors.
Primarily I use a straight razor, my favorites being an 8/8 Henckels Friodur or 6/8 Dovo Renaissance. On the mornings I'm in a hurry, the DE is my quick shave, my favorite being the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth with a Feather blade. Soaps, creams, and aftershaves have always kind of been an ongoing rotation of different things but my favorites are the various scents from Santa Maria Novella and D.R. Harris.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
www.shaving101.com
I hope you find some of the information useful. I'm always open to questions or suggestions for new ideas or reviews you'd like to see!

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I am a straight razor guy. While my rotation has almost 40 razors, my favorites are m Dublin Duck, Boker, and Wade and Butcher models. For shaving soap, I use Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna, with an Edwin and Jagger badger brush. My aftershave is a homemade mix of spiced rum, vanilla, witch hazel, and glycerine.

Status
Not open for further replies.