PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Let the pipe tell that it was smoked and enjoyed let it tell with all those scratches about its life and enjoy it the way it is..have you ever smoked older pipes with a lot of mojo on them?They are lovely!!If them scratches could talk...You just made a first history mark on that pipe with your scratch...Its your signature...Enjoy it !!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A little wear on a pipe is a good thing for most of my work horse pipes. A few, I wouldn't want scratched up, but for most, it's just a little character. If you keep them clean and nicely hand-polished, the effect is good, and the scratches and nicks can add interest.

i think that is a Rolling Stones song, "Come On Baby, Scratch My Briar."

Reactions: maigrets_shadow

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah that doesn't look like a scratch more like the wax (using the definition any applied mostly clear protective covering afixed to the surface) didn't properly adhere. Personally minor issue unless top of the line pipe. To me it also looks like there is a layer beneth but can't confirm that.

clear nail polish
Shocked GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
And i assume you skate based on the name.
The name really doesn’t mean anything. I don’t even remember where it came from to be honest. I’m that old.
Wax it is not. I'd try to patch that with something... clear nail polish?

Please tell us more about the pipe!
there is not much to tell about this pipe. I bought it probably a couple months ago at a place in Raleigh North Carolina. There’s no name etched on it or anything, so I assume it is something of a dog. It was a little expensive though I thought. Maybe $70 or something. I’ll try the nail polish. I don’t see how that could hurt anything. And ultimately as everybody says, who cares? I just thought that if it was an easy fix I’d attempt it. If it requires actual skill though, I’m the wrong man for the job.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The name really doesn’t mean anything. I don’t even remember where it came from to be honest. I’m that old.

there is not much to tell about this pipe. I bought it probably a couple months ago at a place in Raleigh North Carolina. There’s no name etched on it or anything, so I assume it is something of a dog. It was a little expensive though I thought. Maybe $70 or something. I’ll try the nail polish. I don’t see how that could hurt anything. And ultimately as everybody says, who cares? I just thought that if it was an easy fix I’d attempt it. If it requires actual skill though, I’m the wrong man for the job.
so you're at least 20. One good thing at least I know your name isn't goofeyfoot cause the left one has extra toes or something like that. I mean I'd be fine with it if it did, but I wouldn't have to live with it.

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
so you're at least 20. One good thing at least I know your name isn't goofeyfoot cause the left one has extra toes or something like that. I mean I'd be fine with it if it did, but I wouldn't have to live with it.
It means, or at least used to, mean somebody who surfed with the wrong foot forward so if you were right-handed and your right foot was on the front of the board they would call that goofyfooting. But I never did it or anything.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
Looking at the finish, it looks like shellac to me. Sometimes when you apply several consecutive layers without having thoroughly degreased the surface, and without waiting for the right amount of time, it can happen that it falls apart. Better a single decisive application

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Seems like the choices are (1) leave it be or (2) remove the lacquer entirely. I'd be tempted to do the latter but I've a bad habit of fidgeting with things and making them worse. ?
Noooooooo! It'll be messy and probably uncover more fills. And it'd require some skill to apply a new coat or three. And not worth it, my opinion, of course.