PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Somehow, a couple of scratches appeared on the back of the bowl of a new briar pipe I have. Should I refinish it to try to eliminate that? I’ve never done anything like this before so pardon the lack of knowledge on my part.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
16000-2.jpg

61Vqlicn77L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

??

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If you're asking then the answer is probably no. If you have the experience to do a good job you would know if that's the step to take or not right away. Generally a good rule of thumb with such things. And it's a pipe unless you spent a lot of money on it like a lot of money, then maybe but otherwise it's gonna get dings and scratches.

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
The scratch part of it is not the most serious thing in terms of importance. That you can live with. What is probably a little more disturbing as a place it’s about an eighth of an inch wide in diameter where it looks like the “finish“ (if that’s what you call it) is peeled away. Almost like a piece of varnish that wiped off. I don’t know if it is varnish or whatever it is.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
The scratch part of it is not the most serious thing in terms of importance. That you can live with. What is probably a little more disturbing as a place it’s about an eighth of an inch wide in diameter where it looks like the “finish“ (if that’s what you call it) is peeled away. Almost like a piece of varnish that wiped off. I don’t know if it is varnish or whatever it is.
Pictures?

Reactions: anotherbob
Why do anything right now? I mean, if it scratched that easily in such a short period of time, why not wait till it is scratched up even more? Wait till the scratches override the grain. Or, until the scratches are all that you can see. You might start to like the scratches better. Maybe the pipe was designed to be scratched. The pipemaker may have watched it to be scratched, and by fixing it, you're ruining the art.

My advise is to enjoy the scratches, Embrace the scratches. They tell the story of that pipe. Better to have the story of the scratches than to have that pipe tell the story of a lousy amateur repair job that you did. Or, do what you want.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Somehow, a couple of scratches appeared on the back of the bowl of a new briar pipe I have. Should I refinish it to try to eliminate that? I’ve never done anything like this before so pardon the lack of knowledge on my part.
That's so out of focus as to be useless.

Put the pipe on a neutral background, have it well lit and shoot from two angles.

As to refinishing a pipe due to some dents: never!