PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
My budget has kept me from getting Single Malts, except occasionally, and then only the low cost ones. So it's typically blended Scotch I buy. In the 1990s I settled on Scoreby, but then moved to Famous Grouse, and Black and White. Basically I was trying blends that cost less than Johnny Walker Red. Recently I moved to JW Red for the standby and then tried their Black. I had sort of an epiphany last night when I bought my first Single Malt since beginning to smoke a pipe. It's Ardmore Traditional Cask, which cost under $30. I spent hours last night watching Ralfy's YouTube channel and taking notes. I discovered him when looking for reviews of Ardmore. So now I'm going to check prices on Ardbeg, Laphroig, and Highland Park, plus others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=kw8584Tso8g

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Anybody have any experience with Johnnie Walker Double Black? The Black is my favorite blend (better than Blue if you ask me...) but I want something with that rich smoky peat. I've had Laphroiag once and I loved it--Should I get a bottle of Double Black, or play safe and pick up some Quarter Cask Laphroiag?
I'd be open to other Islay suggestions too.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Maxx, the Ardmore traditional cask is really worth every penny!
Elbert,I haven't tried the double black but I know that laphroaig QC is a great dram
[edit]

As four suggestions. An islay with less peat punch with complex sherry notes is lagavulin. The ardbeg has much more pronounced peppery peat. Both are great. If you're looking for something truly special, check out the ardbeg uigeadail.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Just this weekend I got a bottle of Glenlivet 15 year "French oak reserve". Beautiful stuff. I also like Four roses Bourbon and Elijah Craig (bourbon). I did get the privilege recently to have a dram or two or three :) of 20 year Pappy Van Winkle 20 year while a really REALLY good bourbon, like Penzance its price means I'll never own a bottle, and I'm ok with that..
My next try is going to be the 21 or 25 year Glenlivet just for poops and giggles. Of course my taxes just came in so I might be getting me a couple of bottles of Pappy after all.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Ah, nice to see this thread revived and brought to my attention ;)
I enjoy trying different whiskies, so it's hard to have an all-time favourite. Having said that, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich (especially the 15) and Balvenie (all that I've tried) are always on stock at my drinks cabinet. Caol Ila, on the (a bit) peaty side, is also high on my list. I somewhat recently discovered Auchentoshan, a Lowlander, and was quite pleasantly surprised by it.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Echie, if you're a fan of Auchentoshan you must try their "valinch" release. Great stuff!

dixcreek

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
In my neck of the woods, Central KY, you had not ought to tell the neighbor you drink that fire water from across the pond, I drink and don't tell. Drink for the taste and rate it on its own merit, much the same way I do pipe tobacco. Currently drinking Dewar's White Label, use with a wee bit of soda. For Drinking straight, I like Glenfiddich 18 and Johnnie Walker 15. Both are good with a stout pipe.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Echie, be warned that it is cask strength at about 57%. I prefer it without water but it packs a bit of a punch..

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Alex: I tend to add a little drop of water on my single malts (except when I'm tasting for the first time, to get a feel for it), so that's fine. Which reminds me, the Caol Ila cask strength is also pretty good :)

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Haven't had the cask strength. I have enjoyed the standard though so I can imagine the cask strength being really good

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 leacha, you try it & you are hooked, nothing like it.

60 Minutes did a show about the Island that it comes from that wasn't finished because of the demise of their moderator, very interesting.

Bless his soul & thank you 60 Minutes for finishing it for him.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I'm a proud member of the malt scotch whisky society and all I drink at home are single casc whiskeys. I have a 24 years laphroag tha't is peaty but sweet and strong at the same. It will put tears in your eyes. Since I became member of this society I have a hard tint drinking the stuff you'll find on the market or in a bar. I always look for an Arran malt. They often come in casc strength. The for single malts I prefer the Yamasaki or for a blended a Hibiki both by Santory

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The fact they use old Sherry casks to age in gives it a wonderful and unique flavor.
I agree Monty. First fill Sherry casks is much nicer than the Oak fill series of Maccallan.

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
20150904_091428_zpshsokeywi.jpg

PROST!

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I've been dipping my toe in to the single malt world and quite enjoying it! So far I've acquired a bottle of Glenmorangie, Old Pultney, & Ardbeg. Ardbeg is by far my favorite (though it can be a bit harsh as I only bought the 10yo) and I don't much care for the Old Pultney. I think I may try to go for a bottle of Cao Ila Distillers Edition, or a Lagavulin 16yo next. Any suggestions?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
drezz,
Since you liked an Islay - south shore over two Highlands - north shore, I would recommend that you try the Lagavulin next. Both the Lagavulin 16 yr old & the 12 yr old cask strength are very good & score highly. I think that would be the next step in confirming a region that you like. The Caol Ila is an Islay but from the north shore & I have always found it to be weak & lacking to my liking. It tends to be more oily & lacks the smokey flavor from the peat whereas the Ardbeg you liked was smokey & dry.
Hope I haven't steered you off course.

roderick

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I have also experimented with a few single malt Scotches. Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Dalwhinie. I have to say though that my real Scotch awakening came when I first tried Ardbeg. It is by far my favorite (so far). Reminded me of the first time I tried a Latakia tobacco blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.