Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I prefer a subdued shine on my briars and therefore am not of the carnauba wax crowd.
Ballistol is a mineral foodsafe oil and works miracles. You can also clean your puppy's ears with it :)
So does recorder oil ; it is vitamin E added twice refined linseed oil, odourless and thin as water.
Brings the grain really alive and to an amazing soft shine.
So does Mark Hoover's restoration balm.
Just one layer of renaissance wax protects the briar and gives a nice silk like shine.
Occasionally I reach for a carnauba wax that can be applied and polished out with a soft cloth.
All things considered I prefer recorder oil. And yes some nose-, or forehead smoothies of course.
When a child I saw old men rubbing their pipes on their noses . it looked like a mysterious ritual .
Little did I know ; it somehow felt very intriguing.
Abandon the olive - or any vegetable oil .
Whatever oil you apply, a drop or two will do and after a while wipe of the access .

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
People keep saying no to olive oil. Is that based in observed fact or theory? In my experience it works great, and I've never had any bad experience with it. Great for stems too.
Vegetable and fruit oils will turn rancid eventually.

Olive oil on the surface of pipe is seldom a problem as it'll get rubbed off before it turns.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I just got in five splendid condition old 7 and 5 point star Three Star Lees, that I could have just put out on display and smoked as they were found.

But wouldn’t that be, too easy?.:)

An Everclear soaked paper towel removes a lot of patina. Easy use of 4/0 steel wool takes care of light carbon on the rims. Then grape seed oil may be theoretically better than olive oil or nose oil (which is what I think these were finished with). Nevr Dull polishing wadding, just a pinch, restores gold stars to new.

I smoke my pipes during the day wearing a pure soft wool business suit, and neither my pipe nor suit, or tie, should give off an artificial looking shine. It’s just not becoming, you know?

Thanks to my friends here I ordered in a two piece jeweler’s cloth.

What a nice addition to my pipe maintenance gear!

I think the red cloth is coarser, the yellow cloth softer and finer.

After grape seed oil then a bit of beeswax the jeweler’s cloths make them look, like a new soft shoe.

NEW SOFT SHOE

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
When it comes to our pipess there is no such thing as an oberved fact.
Or is there :)
I'm of the opinion if it's your pipe rub what the hell you want on it especially if it's free. I peronally wouldn't pay a penny for any 'magical' product but I'm not against those who do. A spit and polish even does me...

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I just got in five splendid condition old 7 and 5 point star Three Star Lees
I have to admit, you've got me curious about Lee pipes—if I were to look for one to add to my collection, should I be looking for a five point star or a seven point star? Should I avoid ones with two stars and look for only three and five stars? Is the quality appreciably different when it comes to the five star period and the seven, and number of stars? Do they all have stingers?

Reactions: Briar Lee

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Mineral oil is superior to plant based oils. I will not go rancid, and a tiny drop goes a very long way.

However, the Howard blend, mentioned up thread, is better than all the above, as it contains some carnauba and orange extracts. Here's a pile of pipes just after they've dried after they've been hot water flushed and the rims scrubbed:

View attachment 109776
I especially like the dog treat jar with the liver snap treat prominently displayed. My beloved bulldog had all kinds of high end treats but actually loved relatively inexpensive liver snaps most of all. Lots of smooth pipes there, thought you were a fellow sandblast devotee...

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Gorgeous Stanwell @jcinpa !

I guess I’m odd man out, I like my pipes to look old and used. That’s why I drop them now and again, usually in the grass, sometimes in the river and unfortunately sometimes on the cement. This is what I tell myself at least.
I totally agree. My retirement Pete is showing signs of skin oil from my hands and I love it.

Reactions: forloveoffreedom

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I especially like the dog treat jar with the liver snap treat prominently displayed. My beloved bulldog had all kinds of high end treats but actually loved relatively inexpensive liver snaps most of all. Lots of smooth pipes there, thought you were a fellow sandblast devotee...
I love a good sandblast and have a few.

Reactions: Merton

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Gorgeous Stanwell @jcinpa !

I guess I’m odd man out, I like my pipes to look old and used. That’s why I drop them now and again, usually in the grass, sometimes in the river and unfortunately sometimes on the cement. This is what I tell myself at least.
not down with dropping pipes. But I agree the used pipe look is where it's at. Rim darkening isn't a bad thing it a sign a pipe is used.

Reactions: forloveoffreedom