PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Hoarding! That's kiddie crap. I don't just want tobacco, that's childish, I need it. And when you need something that's a responsibility... that only an adult can... bunnies!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There are no hoarders, only tobacco gremlins. :mrgreen:
Bayou+Gremlin.png

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I'm guessing you didn't find any friends. Sad really. Just checked and the place where I got the 250g packs of 1792 and they still have Gawith in stock. Even in spite of the rampant hoarding!
Personal attacks are not permitted on this forum, please read the rules. I have my opinion and I am free to say what I think on the subject relating to tobacco. You quoting everything I say is plain harassment. Stop it thanks.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Personal attacks are not permitted on this forum, please read the rules.
Then why are you passing judgement on people you have never met, who own more tobacco than you happen to think they should?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Personal attacks are not permitted on this forum, please read the rules. I have my opinion and I am free to say what I think on the subject relating to tobacco
Yet, you think its okay to denegrate anyone who has a cellar. Dude, relax. I encourage you to watch Willy Wonka and pay particular attention to Veruka Salt, or just take a hard look in the mirror.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
There are no hoarders, only tobacco gremlins.
That would be a pretty nice avatar on here. I'm now compelled to do image searches for similar ones.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I decided to build my cellar in 2012 I did it for a few reasons. One is I wanted to be able to smoke aged tobacco as that is what I prefer. Next I wanted to guarantee that I had my favorites and didn't have to worry about blends being discontinued. As it turned out 2 of my favorites were killed a couple of years ago. Next was the price. I knew prices would never get lower and would only go up.
For example Mac Baren Old Dark Fired is 19.23 for a 3.5 oz tin. I bought all of my tins for either 9.99 or 10.99 back then. I basically paid half of what the price is now. There are many other examples I could post but you get the idea.
I cellar tobacco to be smoked, I don't sell tobacco, so does that make me a hoarder?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Those that buy for the resale factor are vultures but it happens with concert tickets, records really anything that someone can make a buck off of. If I lived in the US I would be buying twenty tins at a time too, unfortunately with conversion and duty I can’t.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Why let yourself get upset over tobacco? Stock up when you can so you have stuff to smoke when you cannot. The stuff is out there, it just takes time to find it, so no instant gratification.
I've smoked Stonehaven for 25 years, my absolute favorite tobacco, and I am down to my last pound or so. I get it when I can and if not, there are other plenty of other tobaccos out there. Sure, it sucks I cannot order it when I need it and then you have the folks buying it to sell on eBay for too much money, but there are ways around it if I choose to put in the time to search it out.
Heck, when Ash turned me onto some aged Marlin Flake I knew I had to get more to let it age. It was not available here so I ordered a dozen tins from a shop in Germany and now I am set. No need to worry about stalking stores to find it. Same with Rich Dark Flake. Not available at all over here but I spent time searching and was able to score about five pounds of it.
The tobaccos are out there, just not easily obtainable as it was in the past.
Most of us buy this stuff so we are assured a continuous supply of our favorite blends. It is the resellers you should be mad at, not us folks trying to make sure we have an uninterrupted supply of tobacco. My tin stash is a little over 300 tins, the most I have ever purchased was 50 tins of 3 P's when it first came out. I still about 20 or so left. Otherwise, I have never bought more than a dozen tins at once.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
"It is the resellers you should be mad at, not us folks trying to make sure we have an uninterrupted supply of tobacco"
It's an apt point that at the end of the day it's the retailers that will have to adapt as opposed to consumers. It may be that the relative size of the pipe tobacco market never really warrants a change in any case, but if retailers think constantly missing 'white whales'/increasing stock-outs are creating 'displeasure' (negative buying experience reducing future demand) in swaths of the customer base than we'll eventually see differing selling approaches.
...or big-picture increasing regulatory pressure on the tobacco supply chain will produce sharply increased prices in a few years that will tilt the market over to more well-off buyers (another way to skin the cat of supply vs. demand). No crystal-ball, but I tend to think we'll see some version of this happening.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I cellar tobacco to be smoked, I don't sell tobacco, so does that make me a hoarder?
Oh, Harris, you really shouldn't give me one liners like that. You really shouldn't.
Of course you're a freaking hoarder! So is everyone who cellars! That's what cellaring is, it's hoarding so that:
...we are assured a continuous supply of our favorite blends.
3/4 of the Canadian tobacco holdings are sitting on Peck's shelves.
Cellaring is hoarding, just as "estate" pipes are used secondhand pipes. Everybody get over it.
Some of us are a bit more circumspect in terms of sheer amounts than others but in general we have the same goal, to have available what we enjoy smoking, and to have it well aged if we prefer it well aged. And, you don't find well aged or extinct blends at retail unless you're willing to pay a sometimes astronomical premium for the privilege. When I see people shelling out $50 to $300 for a tin of what I put away years ago for $5, I'm pretty damned glad that I did that, not because I'm thinking of selling it but because I'm able to still enjoy that blend without being financially cornholed if I want it. And I can enjoy some well aged tobaccos because I had the foresight, desire, and means, to cellar it bit by bit over a period of years.
Though my cellar is fairly modest compared to many others, I cellared wide and deep, and only what I liked to smoke. I could have stockpiled Penzance by the palette load without any great difficulty if I had wanted to, but I dislike it, so the small amount I have is for sharing or trading. I've given away a couple of pounds of it, just as I have Stonehaven and other unobtainium to people who can't find or afford it, and I couldn't have done that if I hadn't cellared it.
I don't cellar to resell. I cellar to smoke. But I also don't completely discard the notion that I might want to trim my small cellar if a former favorite has outworn its welcome, or health issues require me to give up pipes and tobaccos. Cellaring is hoarding. And if anyone has an issue with that, it's theirs, not mine.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
This whole discussion of "hoarding" is complete nonsense.
The closet my tobacco cellar resides in doesn't smell like cat piss, mice feces, stale human waste, moldy newspapers or regret.
It's not hoarding, it's cellaring. At least that's what my imaginary friends tell me.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Those who are short-sighted like to use the term hoarder to disparage the prudent...or by the jealous to disparage those with deeper pockets.
Anyone who still can't read the writing on the wall isn't just short-sighted but blind.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse, I always thought of myself as a tobacco stockpiler not a hoarder. Hoarding is what those people on tv do. You know the ones that cannot walk through their homes anymore. Sure I can barely walk through my walk in closet, but all the boxes full of tins are lined up on the right side of my closet neatly packed around waste high. Yes the top shelf of my closet would look weird to someone as it is loaded to the ceiling with tins and jars.
Hoarding has a negative connotation and I resent being called one, I am a stockpiler and proud of it. From this day forth, anyone who has a cellar shall be called a stockpiler, so it is written, so shall it be done.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Dictionary.com
Hoard:
noun

a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.:

a vast hoard of silver (tobacco?).
verb (used with object)

to accumulate for preservation, future use, etc., in a hidden or carefully guarded place:

to hoard food during a shortage (tobacco?).
verb (used without object)

to accumulate money, food, or the like (again, tobacco?), in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation, future use, etc.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Stockpile:
noun

a supply of material, as a pile of gravel in road maintenance.

a large supply of some metal, chemical, food, etc., gathered and held in reserve for use during a shortage or during a period of higher prices.

a quantity, as of munitions or weapons, accumulated for possible future use.
verb (used with object), stock·piled, stock·pil·ing.

to accumulate (material, goods, or the like) for future use; put or store in a stockpile.
verb (used without object), stock·piled, stock·pil·ing.

to accumulate in a stockpile.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Urban Dictionary:
Hoarder = Batshit Crazy.
LOL ... exactly...that's the general perception of the term.
Webster has little influence with the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.