PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jesse, when we were working on War Horse, STG sent me a sample of a plug that they offered to rebrand as War Horse. It was instantly recognizable as Revor. When I inquired about it, I was told that they manufacture it for GH. I rejected that kind offer, of course.

I still have some of it.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Nobody seems to have any Samuel Gawith tobaccos in stock. Could it have something to do with the recent change of monarchs in the UK?

I can think of a US online seller (Watch City Cigar) who has quite a few SG/GH tobaccos in stock right now. FVF and St James Flake always sell out first because they’re popular, but if you keep an ear to the ground, you should be able to snag some next time it drops.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
LOL no Charlie ain't taking all the tobacco!

We are constantly working on orders for the USA (and many other countries) but it can take up to 3 months to fulfil an order/container depending on what is ordered and then it sells out within several days once it reaches the States. There are regular shipments to USA
Yes its due to those who buy 100lbs per order and leaving none for other customers ;)

The internet and forums like this means a lot more awareness of certain products.
Hence the bun-fights and OTT prices asked for certain Esoterica and McClelland blends

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
@gawithhoggarth
Thanks for the snark.
It was a simple question.
STG and Mac Baren seem to have more modern equipment, why can’t you buy newer machines?. And, as you know, STG has sufficient headroom to produce plugs for other tobacco companies. Maybe you need to sub out more of your production if you can’t meet demand.

Simple question with a simple answer. I didn’t find any snark in the reply. It sounded like you know something about their business and they clearly pointed out that you do not. Simple.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
@gawithhoggarth
Thanks for the snark.
It was a simple question.
STG and Mac Baren seem to have more modern equipment, why can’t you buy newer machines?. And, as you know, STG has sufficient headroom to produce plugs for other tobacco companies. Maybe you need to sub out more of your production if you can’t meet demand.
Sure.....we'll just spend a few million on a new machine!!!!!!!!
STG is a massive company with a massive bank account!!!
We are not interested in 'subbing' out our production. We would far rather produce less but good quality and traditionally.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Jesse, when we were working on War Horse, STG sent me a sample of a plug that they offered to rebrand as War Horse. It was instantly recognizable as Revor. When I inquired about it, I was told that they manufacture it for GH. I rejected that kind offer, of course.

I still have some of it.
Dan do You remember the guy from the 'Red Green Show' at one of your tastings who ate one of those thinking it was the greatest nicotine Twinky Bar ever?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Dear G&H rep ---

Many thanks for keeping us informed about the goings-on, plans, reasons for things, and so forth regarding your shop.

You must have drawn the short straw to have doing it on a forum such as this be part of your job. rotf

As well as have the patience of a saint.

It is MASSIVELY appreciated.

(tell Chris that we think you deserve a raise)

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 1.18.24 PM.png

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Dear G&H rep ---

Many thanks for keeping us informed about the goings-on, plans, reasons for things, and so forth regarding your shop.

You must have drawn the short straw to have doing it on a forum such as this be part of your job. rotf

As well as have the patience of a saint.

It is MASSIVELY appreciated.

(tell Chris that we think you deserve a raise)

View attachment 224590
I'm beginning to think @gawithhoggarth, i.e., Rachel Gawith, actually enjoys talking to us on the internet.

Rachel, are you on the Chinese, German, Russian, etc., forums as well? 🙂 And are they as, um, challenging?

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It seems to come down to this. You can have an artisanally made higher quality product in a more limited supply, or you can have a mass produced product in greater supply. I know which I would prefer, and since there's both types being produced, balance your choices.

SG and GH will show up when they show up. The hoarders and crazies will swoop in on the larger on line stores and wipe them out, the on line stores doing precious little to put meaningful limits on purchase amounts.

Or you can do what I've done over the years, which is to buy limited production blends that I like from B&M's, who will have stock longer than the on line stores. I've followed this approach for years with regard to the Esoterica drops, with no meaningful issues. You may pay more, but you'll have the blends to enjoy. And if you've been a good customer over the years, those B&Ms will hold stock for you if you ask. The only store with a strong on line presence who will also hold stock for you is Iwan Ries, but they're a class act and a rarity these days.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
We are not interested in 'subbing' out our production. We would far rather produce less but good quality and traditionally.
Yes. That will keep it from sucking.

All kidding aside, far too many people are far too ignorant as to the lay of the EU tobacco land.

So for the record, please don’t tell Germain how to do business, and please don’t tell GH/SG how to do business.

If you’re one of the fortunate souls that thinks that Danish Wonder Bread tobacco shit is tasty, my compliments and God Bless You, you’re obviously one of the chosen.

The rest of us poor bastards need tobacco in our pipes.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
OK, so you do sub out to STG, and you seem to be happy with what they make for you.
Just checking.

Reactions: pantsBoots

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
It seems to come down to this. You can have an artisanally made higher quality product in a more limited supply, or you can have a mass produced product in greater supply. I know which I would prefer, and since there's both types being produced, balance your choices.

SG and GH will show up when they show up. The hoarders and crazies will swoop in on the larger on line stores and wipe them out, the on line stores doing precious little to put meaningful limits on purchase amounts.

Or you can do what I've done over the years, which is to buy limited production blends that I like from B&M's, who will have stock longer than the on line stores. I've followed this approach for years with regard to the Esoterica drops, with no meaningful issues. You may pay more, but you'll have the blends to enjoy. And if you've been a good customer over the years, those B&Ms will hold stock for you if you ask. The only store with a strong on line presence who will also hold stock for you is Iwan Ries, but they're a class act and a rarity these days.
The unfortunate reality that doesn't get talked about enough is the middle men - the distributors.
The companies that import the good stuff and doll it out to the precious B&Ms. The unfortunate part about it is their policies.

If a certain tobacconist shop doesn't want to carry overpriced mass produced briars they don't get the good stuff. If a certain tobacconist accepts these overpriced pipes and can't sell them, same thing. No limited runs, and no FVF/Best Brown!
Aside from that, it can even depend on the individual salesperson assigned to a specific tobacconist. If it's not a big commission client, so sorry.
If a proprietor rubs a salesperson the wrong way, "whoops lost your order".

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
OK, so you do sub out to STG, and you seem to be happy with what they make for you.
Just checking.

No. Under an old agreement STG make revor plug and we have the rights to sell it in the UK. We cannot sell it anywhere else.

From an earlier thread in which you participated so this has already been covered.

"Chris Gawith advised several months ago that GH does NOT manufacture Revor Plug, they are only the distributor. The stickers on the pouches have the STG codes on them also."

"The whole situation with Revor is complicated, since STG made it under license from Japan Tobacco, who bought out the old U.K. manufacturer (Mansfield?) long ago."

Status
Not open for further replies.