PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Pointless question. Here is a good question can Brobs complain so loud and long about so many different things that even his ears will bleed?
it's amazing that you're getting sound out of this forum. something must be wrong on my end.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
BROBS --

You are a genuinely bright and likeable guy. Lots of energy, lots of passion.

You also get carried away when something flips a certain emotional switch.

Just sayin
it's true.. I also like to get the last word. it's a problem.
I also like to demonstrate ridiculousness with gory overstatement.

Reactions: NomadOrb
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’m not a big fan of killing anything that doesn’t need it either. I get that some people can’t tell, but if I can clearly see a snake is non venomous, or is in an area where it’s not going to bite my kids or anyone, why would I kill it? If on the other hand I do know it’s poisonous, and it’s anywhere my kids could run into it, it’s not long for this world. Pit viper bites are pretty nasty in adults, and I can’t imagine them in kids.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
In Louisiana a good snake is a dead snake, when I was 15 i went with my Dad with his shrimp boat to rescue people off of roof tops, when he alongside I had a long bamboo pole to beat off the water moccasins trying to come on the roof, big balls of them suckers. Some people were bit by them. A good snake is a dead snake.

Ha I get where you're coming from on that.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
These things regularly turn up in back yards (and more scarily inside houses) in Australia; native to the east coast which is the most populated part of the country there are lots of encounters. It's classed as the second most venomous snake in the world (after the Inland Taipan which lives in central and western desert regions). If you're a snake catcher in Oz then you'll have to deal with quite a few of these. They're not particularly aggressive and will try and get away from humans, but like rats, if they think the safe place is the other side of you then you have a problem (and yes, they can be deadly).

Eastern_Brown_Snake_-_Kempsey_NSW.jpg

When I lived in Manly (Sydney's Northern Beaches) around early spring there were regular warnings (and sightings) of these and Red Bellied Black snakes; one of the latter even paid an unwelcome visit to the local shopping mall.

As native species these snakes are protected so when removed they'll be moved to somewhere more suitable - which might simply be bush land close to where they were caught.

In practice; walking bush trails around Sydney you would be lucky (or unlucky depending on viewpoint) to meet a venomous snake but they are all around and generally prefer to avoid humans; the problems usually occur when someone tries to interfere with them - most reports of people being bitten by snakes in Australia are of people who've tried to catch or kill a snake and then find these things are bloody fast!

There's a lot of non-venomous snakes in Oz too and most people I know have one or two pythons (usually some type of Carpet Python) and/or tree snakes in their back yards or under the house and would far rather have these than a Brown Snake. I've UK friends who moved to Oz try and have a python removed from their backyard but the snake catchers refused on the grounds that it's harmless and no threat to them (it was about 3m long). (They were a bit shocked but have got used to it now!)

IMG_0047.jpeg
Yours truly with 'Bronte' the Carpet Python at a wildlife sanctuary in Port Douglas, Northern Queensland. These are found in pretty much all houses (under the ground floor, in a roof space or an outbuilding) throughout Queensland and Northern NSW. What's not obvious in the picture is that it was about 36c and 90% humidity that day and actually having a carpet python draped around the neck was very cooling! She enjoyed the warmth so much she went to sleep... ...I think this one was a bit over 2m in length but it is a very thin bodied variety - some pythons are much chunkier.

This is not a pet; it's the wild python that lives in the roof space of my mates house in Northern NSW. Terrible picture but strong drink was being taken when we had an unexpected visitor drop in...
d9acd7e2-5b1d-4bc1-a9b2-d96e6573a837.jpeg

And finally something that again most back yards will have (unless they have something more dangerous...); this harmless Tree Snake got itself trapped in the pool filter (it was rescued but surprisingly ungrateful at being saved ).

8d613a39-d9fe-4082-9591-2a8ef992fefb.jpeg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
These things regularly turn up in back yards (and more scarily inside houses) in Australia; native to the east coast which is the most populated part of the country there are lots of encounters. It's classed as the second most venomous snake in the world (after the Inland Taipan which lives in central and western desert regions). If you're a snake catcher in Oz then you'll have to deal with quite a few of these. They're not particularly aggressive and will try and get away from humans, but like rats, if they think the safe place is the other side of you then you have a problem (and yes, they can be deadly).

View attachment 41439

When I lived in Manly (Sydney's Northern Beaches) around early spring there were regular warnings (and sightings) of these and Red Bellied Black snakes; one of the latter even paid an unwelcome visit to the local shopping mall.

As native species these snakes are protected so when removed they'll be moved to somewhere more suitable - which might simply be bush land close to where they were caught.

In practice; walking bush trails around Sydney you would be lucky (or unlucky depending on viewpoint) to meet a venomous snake but they are all around and generally prefer to avoid humans; the problems usually occur when someone tries to interfere with them - most reports of people being bitten by snakes in Australia are of people who've tried to catch or kill a snake and then find these things are bloody fast!

There's a lot of non-venomous snakes in Oz too and most people I know have one or two pythons (usually some type of Carpet Python) and/or tree snakes in their back yards or under the house and would far rather have these than a Brown Snake. I've UK friends who moved to Oz try and have a python removed from their backyard but the snake catchers refused on the grounds that it's harmless and no threat to them (it was about 3m long). (They were a bit shocked but have got used to it now!)

View attachment 41440
Yours truly with 'Bronte' the Carpet Python at a wildlife sanctuary in Port Douglas, Northern Queensland. These are found in pretty much all houses (under the ground floor, in a roof space or an outbuilding) throughout Queensland and Northern NSW. What's not obvious in the picture is that it was about 36c and 90% humidity that day and actually having a carpet python draped around the neck was very cooling! She enjoyed the warmth so much she went to sleep... ...I think this one was a bit over 2m in length but it is a very thin bodied variety - some pythons are much chunkier.

This is not a pet; it's the wild python that lives in the roof space of my mates house in Northern NSW. Terrible picture but strong drink was being taken when we had an unexpected visitor drop in...
View attachment 41441

And finally something that again most back yards will have (unless they have something more dangerous...); this harmless Tree Snake got itself trapped in the pool filter (it was rescued but surprisingly ungrateful at being saved ).

View attachment 41442
If I ever went to Australia I'd either be paralyzed with horror or constantly firing at anything that moved ?

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal

View attachment 41439

View attachment 41440

View attachment 41441

View attachment 41442
Side note, you look like Russell Crowe!

Reactions: BROBS and yohanan
Status
Not open for further replies.