PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Looks like a Southern Water Snake. VERY difficult to tell apart from a water moccasin---especially the younger ones. The sharpness of the pattern's edges is usually a giveaway, though.

Cajun --- If it's still around, check the eyes. Vertical pupil = venomous; round pupil = harmless

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Except with the coral snake.?

I was referring to viper-ish bodytypes like the one in the pic, of course.

Corals are their own thing. The Eastern Coral is small, reclusive, and shy. I'm reasonably sure that the few bites on record are from people handling them. The Western is a bit more formidable, but it lives where people tend not to, and is difficult to NOT see in any event. Another case of Nature's neon warning sign. (A fact the Scarlet King has paid dearly for. Same colors, different sequence, but most people assume the worst and bring down the rake anyway.)

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe after a hurricane when a lot of creatures including snakes are displaced from their habitats, with a snake that size, I'd shoot first. If you can sort out all the nuances of the various species, juveniles and others, venomous and non-, over time, that's good, but unless you deal with snakes a lot, it is confusing. You don't want to find one under the back steps or in your tool box or somewhere too close to evade. Some places pets have escaped and become invasive species. I think it may be in the Everglades where pythons or anaconda have been loosed and reach full size, which is immense. They are not poisonous but will eat people whole if they reach appropriate size. In general, I like snakes as an important part of ecology, but not as a medical emergency.

Reactions: anantaandroscoggin

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I believe after a hurricane when a lot of creatures including snakes are displaced from their habitats, with a snake that size, I'd shoot first. If you can sort out all the nuances of the various species, juveniles and others, venomous and non-, over time, that's good, but unless you deal with snakes a lot, it is confusing. You don't want to find one under the back steps or in your tool box or somewhere too close to evade. Some places pets have escaped and become invasive species. I think it may be in the Everglades where pythons or anaconda have been loosed and reach full size, which is immense. They are not poisonous but will eat people whole if they reach appropriate size. In general, I like snakes as an important part of ecology, but not as a medical emergency.
True in spirit, but not in fact.

Anyone capable of identifying, say, different types of vehicles or species of birds is capable of identifying different kinds of snakes. (Whether they want to or not---out of fear or some other reason---is another question, but that doesn't change the situation.)

Snake bite is right up there with shark attack for emotional over-reaction. About 8000 people get bitten by venomous snakes each year in the US, and about 1 in 500 of those bitten die from it. Your chances of being killed by a randomly falling tree limb are significantly greater, in other words, but people walk under trees constantly without the slightest concern.

As for pythons or anacondas in the Everglades, it's pythons. Though a few have managed to attain "full growth" (which, technically, doesn't apply... like crocodiles and a few other predators, they never stop growing until they are killed or age out), that means, for all practical purposes, about 15-18 feet. While cats and small dogs are absolutely at risk, humans, no. There are only a handful of documentad cases of Pythons consuming humans, and the snakes were immense, the locale was India, and the victims were children or small adolescents.

Bottom line: The danger presented by snakes is certainly not fictional, but is wildly overblown. Why? People love to be scared, basically. It's in our genes.

Regarding southern Florida's invasive species, that is definitely a Big Deal. Not in the mortal danger sense, but simply as unacceptably rapid change. Mother Nature doesn't give a shit, it's all the same to her, but humans who populate the place would rather not move there, enjoy a few years of tropical bliss, then have it morph into somewhere they WOULDN'T have moved to if they'd known what it would soon become.

Reactions: yohanan and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That looks like a friendly ball python to me. Am I wrong?

Just cause I have a pet snake doesn't mean I don't understand what other people feel about them though.

It might have been someone's pet....
No idea why someone wants to needlessly kill snakes. How about stay the fuck away from them?

Reactions: gerryp
Status
Not open for further replies.