PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Bottom line: The danger presented by snakes is certainly not fictional, but is wildly overblown. Why? People love to be scared, basically. It's in our genes.
exactly. Same reason people shit their pants over a spider.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
another reason: ignorance.

look at the areas of the country where the idea is: "THAR'S AN ANIMUHL!!! SHOOT EM!!!!!"

Watermaccasins are one of those snakes that relying completely on markings is not the most reliable method, because they can be solid, or a rich mahogany colored stripes, or even greyish. We also get quite a few copperheads also. I have a creek that runs through my property, and I just don't have time to run down each snake that crawls towards my house. We've had infestations in the crawl space and attic, so I just whack them all. Unless of course it is obviously one of the good ones.

I was bit once in college, working my way through in the grounds crew. I had one garbage can at the student lake that didn't have a key to open it, so I had to reach my hand in to open it from inside. Then one day, wham, like a hammer hitting me, I got bit. The Native American that I was assisting told me to just lay down, relax and ride it out. Yeh, like getting snake bit is a time to relax and bring down my heart rate? I thought that I was going to have start threatening his life to get him to take me to the hospital. I still have some scars where my hand swelled up so badly that the skin started tearing. Yeh, I'd rather kill a few innocent snakes than to risk one of my kids or pets getting killed.
But, if it were easier to identify, I would spare more... but so far, all of the ones I've killed have been poisonous... and very tasty. puffy

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
If i see them they die with wherever is closest. Shovel, axe, mower, stick, gun..... i have no use for them. Neighbours have cats to kill the mice so all they do is eat things i like birds, toads, tree frogs....

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If i see them they die with wherever is closest. Shovel, axe, mower, stick, gun..... i have no use for them. Neighbours have cats to kill the mice so all they do is eat things i like birds, toads, tree frogs....
GENIUS LEVEL THOUGHTS

they die with wherever is closest. Shovel, axe, mower, stick, gun.....
I am always amazed... when I run over them with the mower, they just vaporize. No blood, no remains, I will even flip the mower to see if they are hanging on above the blade to avoid getting chopped, but nothing. It's like the mower just sends them through a portal to some other dimension.

magicbus

Lurker
Dec 1, 2016
odd thing after Michael there were no wild creatures, or so it seemed. no birds, squirrels, reptiles, anything. oh there were some dead ones lying around. didn't see anything alive for a while.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not exactly poisonous snakes, but red algae has overtake some of the rivers and lakes in Florida and made them unswimmable in places.

Reactions: BROBS

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
That looks like a friendly ball python to me. Am I wrong?

Just cause I have a pet snake doesn't mean I don't understand what other people feel about them though.

It might have been someone's pet....

I thought the same thing because of the shape of its head, but I think the markings are different. Ball pythons are good pets, if you're into that sort of thing like I used to be.
As far as folks having a (mostly) irrational fear of snakes, I bet the serpent/Garden of Eden thing is a factor.

Reactions: BROBS

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
if you slaughter a chicken, do you kill yourself?
There is that Flawless Brobs reasoning shining through again. Flock of laying hens so no need for years. Nope we just eat them because im at the top of the food chain. No guilt about it they had a really good life and were pampered compared to comercial raise ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.