PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I always use rubbing alcohol for my pipes - where I currently live there is this blueish colored medicinal alcohol called "spirt", about 186 proof (98%). I use it because I have the feeling that any kind of liquor leaves a taste behind - such as whiskey or brandy; while this one does not. AS far as health is concerned, I did not have any issue, but I did however dry all the treated parts very well before smoking. Also, I don't clean my pipes with alcohol after every smoke. I usually do so when pulling the pipes apart for major cleaning. I do run a cleaner in each pipe after each smoke, and leave it there until I use it again - it sucks all moisture in. That is usually enough, keeping it clean to the point where I use alcohol maybe once every few months. Oh, by the way - never use alcohol on corn cobs, personally I destroyed a cob like this.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Yet, one says it is not advisable to remove a steam after each smoke and another says this wont do any harm under the condition pipe is cooled down, I find it a lot easier to clean pipe when steam is removed and using a regular pipe cleaner, but shall I?or am I better off after a second smoke taken them apart,?

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I always used whiskey. Many years ago I was given a bottle of Suntory Japanese whiskey as a Christmas gift from an employer that I was none too fond of. Not being much of a whiskey drinker back then, I found it to be basically undrinkable on the rocks or neat. So I used it for cleaning pipes. I still have the damn bottle and will probably use it again for the same thing.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Only time I use rubbing alcohol is when I need to clear out a plugged bowl and all else fails. I pour a little in the bowl and let it sit about 2 minutes and resume clearing it. Do have to be a bit careful with it as it can begin to fade or strip stain off some pipes. So, you'd have to immediately blot up any that spills on the rim or down the bowl.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Crash, this happens on a fairly regular basis for me, leading to having to do the alcohol soak for a pipe about once monthly. Bits of tobacco get caught near the draft hole, mostly shank side of it which I cannot dislodge with a straightened paperclip, my usual mode of dislodging it. Doesn't seem to matter the pipe shape nor type of cut of tobacco.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I use rubbing alcohol on my pipes quite often. I normally keep briars pretty clean as I go, they get alcohol more rarely. A cob, on the other hand, gets isopropanol more regularly. Once I've abused one for a while, I'll prop up the stem slightly and fill the bowl with rubbing alcohol. After it sits for a bit I take pipe cleaners and deep clean the stem, then repeat the alcohol soak. Then I run hot water through the pipe for a while and run a pipe cleaner through the stem again. Then I set it in the pipe rack for a week or more to dry. (Or in the sun maybe)
I allow a.fair amount of cake to build in my cobs. I think the porous cake/charred cob is a big part of why they taste good. After an alcohol soak, that cake/cob is cleaned of oils and resins and gives a nice smoke IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.