PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I completely clean every pipe after every use, which means using 91% Isopropyl, pipe cleaners, and dry reaming the bowl. That way I never have to worry about ghosting or sour pipes. I’ve done this for over 50 years with no problems.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I use everclear after 5-6 bowls. I use a shank brush, bristle cleaners and regular cleaners. I have always been afraid of rubbing alcohol. The guy at my local b/m who has been cleaning and repairing pipes for 40 years suggested I do it that way. I was thinking about using the everclear after every use to see if I notice a difference. So far doing it after every 5 or 6 I have never run into a foul tasting bowl, but hey I am always up for trying something new.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I too use iso and never had any ill effects, just let it sit for the night and it's fine with no after taste.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
I never smoke a pipe more than one day. Use ordinary rubbing alcohol through mortise and draft hole. Use none within bowl. Clean stem dry and then a little "Bee" pipe sweetener after that. Pipe rests five or six days before it's smoked again. You would never guess it was cleaned with any alcohol. Depends on what you consider "clean". For me when you put a pipe cleaner through and it comes out as clean as it went in, then it's clean. Also found cleaning just one at a time is much less of a chore than spending an hour or two on a weekend day just cleaning pipes. Found out many years ago if you let the pipe sit around dirty everything dries out and makes it much, much harder to clean. Your life style will determine what's acceptable when it comes to maintenance so this is just what I've found works for me.

burnface

Lurker
Feb 19, 2013
Hello! I know this is kind of like....7 months since the last post...but all the answers in this thread seem really helpful and I just have a question that sort of adds on.
A good friend of mine just bought me my first pipe and I absolutely love it.
I was in an antique store the other day and found a sort of unique looking one for $2 and decided it was maybe worth getting and trying to clean it out!
0cf41d93f1ac4d5e9e857c1.png

I see lots of people saying that isopropyl alcohol works fine as long as you leave it to dry for a while first. So here's my question:

Doing it with iso alcohol, is that using the same method as posted HERE for example? Still use salt and do the same basic steps even though it isn't everclear or something similar?
Thanks a lot!!
-Shaun Z

Dec 24, 2012
Isopropyl alcohol is what you want. I use 99%. Far less water content than booze, unless you can get your hands on pure !00% grain alcohol, but I have never seen it. It is not poison (at least anymore than any other alcohol) - they use it to clean open wounds. I understand that in some countries it is "denatured" - which simply means they add something to make you sick otherwise whines would be buying it to drink.

burnface

Lurker
Feb 19, 2013
Isopropyl alcohol is what you want. I use 99%. Far less water content than booze, unless you can get your hands on pure !00% grain alcohol, but I have never seen it. It is not poison (at least anymore than any other alcohol) - they use it to clean open wounds. I understand that in some countries it is "denatured" - which simply means they add something to make you sick otherwise whines would be buying it to drink.
Cool thank you. Same steps to cleaning with salt and stuff like here:

http://www.capitaldistrictpipeclub.com/lounge/index.php?topic=69.0 ?
Thanks again.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
So, is it the consensus that Clean and Cure is better to use than Ispropyl? I'm a recovering alcoholic and can't see coming home with 151 and trying to explain that it's for the tobacco pipe and not me!

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Awesome Roth! Thanks for the advice. I'll get a bottle tomorrow. I was afraid to use it. I also didn't know that water damaged a pipe. This thread has been most helpful!

Dec 24, 2012
Two clarifications:
- make sure your alcohol does NOT say "denatured"
- second, for the salt method, I would strongly suggest (unless you have a very steady hand) that you buy an eye dropper to put the alcohol in the bowl filled with kosher salt. Alcohol of any type will take off the stain on the outer part of the pipe. I find an eye dropper helps me get the alcohol in the bowl while ensuring that no alcohol touches the rim or the outer bowl.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I use the Isop*** and have for 18 yrs or better. I use a syringe to fill my bowls after the salt is put in. Due to evaporation, one must add a bit after an hour or so, and then add a bit more before going to bed. Usually by morning, it's good to go for the cleaning. Few hours of sitting time to evaporate, and it's good to go for a smoke without any ill taste. Just my opinion. Oh ya, almost forgot, while water is generally taboo for a Briar, I have used boiling water to remove extra stubborn, iron hard cake from estate bowls. Boil the kettle, leave the shank hole unplugged, set the bowl in the sink drain and trickle boiling water in untill it runs out the shank hole. Let it sit for a minute and repeat. After 2 or 3 repititions, you can actually remove the hardened cake in pieces, easily. Downfall is, the bowl must sit for 4 days to a week to make sure it is dried out well before you smoke it.

Dec 24, 2012
nsfisher - great idea on the syringe - i like that better than an eye dropper.
Isoprop here in Ontario is $3.25 for a lire.

ghibli

Lurker
Jul 11, 2013
Isopropyl (most if not all rubbing alcohol) is widely used by the medical community for disinfection such as swabbing before an injection. It is poisonous to drink, but is much less toxic than DENATURED Alcohol. Denatured has poisons added to grain alcohol so that one cannot drink it (and so the government can get their taxes on any alcohol consumed). I would never use Denatured Alcohol to clean a pipe. Shops do use Isopropyl (Rubbing Alcohol) to clean pipes & it is probably harmless. Best is the 91% versus the 70% (less water, faster evaporation, less wetting of briar). EVERCLEAR is 151 proof (75.5% grain alcohol) taxed for consumption & available at liquor stores. Years ago it was 190 proof (95%). But I have only found it in 750ml & liter sizes. I didn't want to buy such a large bottle to clean my pipes, so I am going to buy BACARDI 151 PROOF RUM, available in half-pints & pints. I THINK IT IS THE PERFECT SOLUTION! I suggest anyone wanting to know about isopropyl & denatured alcohol go to WIKIPEDIA & read about the difference.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I suggest isopropyl alcohol. Denatured ethaol is made toxic, so you do not drink untaxed alcohol (or IMO so you can't consume alcohol at all). The toxin may or may not evaporate, so there are a risk of a light poisoning.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I know this is somewhat extravagant but I use Jim Beam Bourbon to clean my pipes after every 5 - 6 smokes. Does the job for me. Because I always clean my pipes thoroughly with a pipe cleaner after every smoke, I find I do not need to use a lot of alcohol. I use this also to restore pipe stems of estate pipes I have purchased. Soaking for 24 to 48 hours brings up the oxidization. Then it is straight to the buffer wheels(Beall system) and soon I have jet black shiny sparkling stems that look like they just arrived from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.