PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterblaze

Lurker
May 23, 2016
[color=741ab2]I know alot of people like to use vodka or rum to clean their pipes, but I'm not much of a drinker. I've read that if I don't use a drinkable alcohol to clean my water pipe, click here for guide. that I should use a "non-denatured" alcohol. Where can I find this? I've already checked all the drug stores and X-marts. If I can't find it anywhere, should I use ethyl or isopropyl rubbing alcohol?[/color]
I've never used vodka, I would think it might be a tad weak. Nail varnish remover or isopropyl will more than do it

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Lots of people will tell you they use iso alcohol to good effect, no harm done, but I don't like the smell or the possibility of additives in the lesser grades. It takes very little grain alcohol like Everclear, or vodka or the like to clean a pipe--- drops, it is always readily at hand, and I have never disliked the smell or taste of any of them!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I used to use ISO but switched to Everclear and my tobacco tastes much better. Lat doesn't ghost as much and I use the same cleaning techniques as before. I can also get good and relaxed from just a tiny shot. :)

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I always use (lot´s of) denatured alcohol (it contains a slight percentage of acetone) when refurbishing estate pipes with no ill-effects whatsoever. The one thing it does is sucking the water out of your briar and the stems may become losse by this. The trick is to re-moisten the mortise with a Q-Tip and very hot water.

Briar is a VERY hard wood and will only absorb a tiny amount of water so hitting it with Vodka is not much of a problem. For my taste this is just too expensive...

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I live in California and have only been able to find the 151 proof version of Everclear. That's what I've been using and it works fine, but it costs a bit more than Bacardi 151, which is what I used to use and is easier to find. Both are great for cleaning, the Everclear being tasteless compared to the rum. Either way, a bottle dedicated for pipe cleaning will last a long time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Regardless of type of alcohol, a fine finishing technique is to flush with hot water, then dry chamber with paper towel, pipe cleaners for airway, and Q-tips in the mortise.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Alcohol is fine for stems airways, but should be used sparingly with briar. Alcohol leaches out the silicate content of the wood, altering it's resistance to charring and ability to absorb moisture. I use alcohol for cleaning of the shank and mortise only a couple of times a year when I do a deep cleaning.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I don't think I could bring myself to run water over my pipes, although I've seen it mentioned here more than once. Seems like it would make a mess of the bowl.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
Pretty sure Everclear isn't available in Canada but I have had success with something called Spirytus. Its a 76% spirit from Poland, basically overly strong vodka. It was given to me as a gift and I have no intention of drinking it, burns like gasoline. Its intended for mixing with fruits and things to make your own drinking alcohol at home but does a fine job on a pipe cleaner run through the stem. Still a low % I suppose for cleaning briar but in the end its cheaper than something like 151 rum and my pipes get lots of rest after cleaning anyways so I have no complaints or issues. I do believe I have seen a 96% version as well.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Go for the 96%!

I don't mind splurging for a bottle of Everclear or 151 every 6 months or so to keep my pipes clean and tasting sweet. A small price to pay to keep your pipes happy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Kane- You run water through the pipe, not over it. Since I started this over a year ago, I've not had to resort to deep cleaning my pipes, at least not with chemicals. Try it with an oldie until you feel comfortable with it. Only briars without fissures.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
I'll definitely be picking up something stronger next time around, originally just wanted to make due with what was on hand. I wouldnt mind trying rum or something like that to see how it changes the flavor but I'll probably leave that for an inexpensive basket pipe in case I end up very disappointed.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I use water all the time to clean briar pipes and it works great. And the cost of buying a cheap bottle of vodka for cleaning is infinitesimal. Not sure Everclear works any better. All you are doing is wetting part of the pipe cleaner in most cases and not every time you clean! Now, to each their own, but my 91% isopropyl says: Not Fit For Internal Consumption, so why would I want to get it into my bowl and cake? Plus the vodka stays around longer to do its job and isn't quite so volatile.
As to leaching silicates, I can't confirm that in a search on the matter, but it would seem that again, vodka would be gentler than iso alcohol. I'd like to see some study that shows it actually made a difference. Anything leeched out can usually be put back in.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So you are not a fan of the alcohol retort, Jesse?
My retorts have been characterized as brilliant, caustic, witty, erudite, sexy, illuminating, and occasionally alcoholic.
I have used a retort when cleaning out an extremely filthy pipe. I didn't say that I never use alcohol for cleaning a pipe, I've just cut its use to the necessary minimum.
As to leaching silicates, I can't confirm that in a search on the matter, but it would seem that again, vodka would be gentler than iso alcohol. I'd like to see some study that shows it actually made a difference.
https://pipedia.org/docs/CharacteristicsOfBriar.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.