PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any advice and experience on how you rotate tobaccos is highly welcomed. I smoke flakes mainly stragith virginia but it gets heavy. So when I am fed up I smoke a bowl with aromatic blends. So what's the better routine? Start the day with some aromatic and then move to unscented tobaccos?

Makes no difference in this household. Pretty much English blends all day long.

Welcome from the Central Coast of California!
You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
At the end of a long day, with many bowls of tobacco and meals had, my tongue grows somewhat weary and less apperceptive. Thus in the evenings I tend to smoke somewhat more assertive blends while in the morning I tend to smoke those that have somewhat more subtle qualities. On that basis I generally tend to smoke stronger, more assertive blends as the day goes on.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I start the day with a bright Virginia flake and coffee. Second bowl of the day would be a mild medium Virginia. Third is usually a brown Virginia Flake such as Wessex Brigade Campaign or Astlrys 44. Fourth is often a Red Virginia.

Fourth and Fifth may be a VaOr or VaPer. Sixth is likely to be something with some dark fired such as Solani Silver Flake or HU Directors Cut. Occasionally, I'll slip in an English Blend.

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
I have a very methodical way I go about this. Early in the morning, I start brewing the coffee and I go to my tobacco bar. I carefully select my morning blend. Select a pipe and fill up the bowl. I then pour the coffee and enjoy my morning pipe. I usually don’t smoke during the day unless I’m breathing. In that case, I carefully select my tobacco and pipe, fill up the bowl and enjoy it with usually a non alcoholic beverage. Now the evening is the most important part. After dinner, I will grab either hot tea with honey or maybe another sweet beverage, I will retire to the porch. But before doing so, I go to my tobacco bar and carefully select my tobacco and pipe for the evening. Fill up a bowl and start enjoying the dance of the smoke in the setting sunlight.
none of these guessing games here. It’s all done methodically and specifically.

You may ask, what tobacco do I chose to do these. And that’s the only part of this you have to fill out for yourself.
for me, almost all of them end up being English blends that are Latakia heavy. With the occasional burley blend. Rarely an aromatic if ever.
For you, it maybe any combination of the above. And that is the beauty of this hobby habit.
What a marvelous treasure we all share, that the rest of the world is oblivious to.
Enjoy it my friends. For life is a fleeting miracle.

Apr 26, 2020
Northern California
I start the day with a bright Virginia flake and coffee. Second bowl of the day would be a mild medium Virginia. Third is usually a brown Virginia Flake such as Wessex Brigade Campaign or Astlrys 44. Fourth is often a Red Virginia.

Fourth and Fifth may be a VaOr or VaPer. Sixth is likely to be something with some dark fired such as Solani Silver Flake or HU Directors Cut. Occasionally, I'll slip in an English Blend.
Yum

OakIris

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
Sorry for a double post, tried to edit my previous comment as soon as I posted it but time expired because it took me too long - never had to deal with a 10 minute window before on a forum.

This is what I wanted to post:

I usually don’t smoke during the day unless I’m breathing.

I take it you smoke all day then?? :-D

I normally smoke whatever appeals to me at the time I decide to smoke. I don't seem to have developed any sort of routine, but then I don't smoke every day. Interesting to see the routines - or lack there of - that others have developed.

neilnoff

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2020
Spring, TX
I agree with most of the other posters -- Just grab what you like or are in the mood for at the moment. This really pertains to both tobacco and the pipe. I'd suggest not making it a task that must be regulated and cataloged, but rather a spontaneous decision that works for the moment. I have plenty of OCD qualities myself, but I really try to keep my piping decisions easy, enjoyable and without over-thinking. My favorite pipe & blend are what I'm smoking at the time! Bottom line: Enjoy!

Reactions: Backwoods Briar