SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 25, 2020
Any advice and experience on how you rotate tobaccos is highly welcomed. I smoke flakes mainly stragith virginia but it gets heavy. So when I am fed up I smoke a bowl with aromatic blends. So what's the better routine? Start the day with some aromatic and then move to unscented tobaccos?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think there's any settled idea on this. Just ask yourself which you'd prefer and see what happens. Stronger tobacco is sometimes associated with smoking later in the day, hence the blends Nightcap and Bayou Night, but many smoke those in the morning. Follow your instinct and see what is pleasing. Establish your own tradition.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
You decide that...everyone has a different routine. I mostly smoke non/lightly-cased, non-topped tobaccos, but occasionally throw in a lightly topped one every now and then. I typically smoke 3 to 4 different blends a day, I almost never smoke the same blend one bowl after another...my wife would say that's the gemini in me, whatever the hell that means.

Last edited:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I was always of the opinion that pipe smoking is a moody thing ... it just depends on the day, and what you feel like. There are days when I smoke 3-4 bowls, of whatever this or that I feel like, there are days when I feel like smoking a straight Virginia, and that's what I'll do and that bowl will be all, and there are days when I don't smoke at all, or I would like a cigar, or I am drinking with a friend and I go on a rolling cigarette rampage. I may have an aromatic in the afternoon and an English in the evening, or on a lazy Saturday morning I may just smoke a strong lakeland filterless. When I started I was quite tempted to make rules, however, as time went by I understood that there are some basics that one needs to stick to, and the rest is just fun and relaxation. Don't over complicate it ... just enjoy.

Apr 25, 2020
I don't think there's any settled idea on this. Just ask yourself which you'd prefer and see what happens. Stronger tobacco is sometimes associated with smoking later in the day, hence the blends Nightcap and Bayou Night, but many smoke those in the morning. Follow your instinct and see what is pleasing. Establish your own tradition.
Yes. You are right indeed. I think I will go gradually. But turning back from cigarette smoking problem is that in the morning I need some nicotine.
I was always of the opinion that pipe smoking is a moody thing ... it just depends on the day, and what you feel like. There are days when I smoke 3-4 bowls, of whatever this or that I feel like, there are days when I feel like smoking a straight Virginia, and that's what I'll do and that bowl will be all, and there are days when I don't smoke at all, or I would like a cigar, or I am drinking with a friend and I go on a rolling cigarette rampage. I may have an aromatic in the afternoon and an English in the evening, or on a lazy Saturday morning I may just smoke a strong lakeland filterless. When I started I was quite tempted to make rules, however, as time went by I understood that there are some basics that one needs to stick to, and the rest is just fun and relaxation. Don't over complicate it ... just enjoy.
Self-disciplines you are. Alas now with the coronavirus I smoke all day long. Oh Dear I should get some discipline.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
If you’re getting off cigs, you and I are in the same boat. Get a big, kick ass burley for that morning satisfaction. 5Bros does it for me. It’s a quick smoke, strong and cheap, and tasty in a very burley way. VA flakes are delicious, too, but if you need a nic kick like you remember from cigs, they’re just not gonna cut it. Neither are aromatics.

I’ve been tending to have a big burly, like 5Bros or OJK, in the morning with my coffee to get me going, followed by a Virginia or Va/Per for the drive to/from work, and then a big English or something full flavored for my evening smoke.

Apr 25, 2020
If you’re getting off cigs, you and I are in the same boat. Get a big, kick ass burley for that morning satisfaction. 5Bros does it for me. It’s a quick smoke, strong and cheap, and tasty in a very burley way. VA flakes are delicious, too, but if you need a nic kick like you remember from cigs, they’re just not gonna cut it. Neither are aromatics.

I’ve been tending to have a big burly, like 5Bros or OJK, in the morning with my coffee to get me going, followed by a Virginia or Va/Per for the drive to/from work, and then a big English or something full flavored for my evening smoke.
You are quite right. Burley is the base of cigarettes. Wise advise thank you

Reactions: kurtbob