PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
there seems to be one brand that has a hard-on for limited edition blends.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I think I've only had 1 pouched tobacco and it was a sample. Mac Baren modern virginia I think. I think "cheap" when I see tobacco in pouches. But that's just me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Aside from individual perception, what evidence does anyone have from various blenders that they produce the same blend in different formulations for pouches VS tins VS bulk?
I just wonder why that would make sense from a production standpoint.

Blends might taste a little different depending on the conditions under which they were stored prior to consumption, as in the case of bulk sometimes being a little drier when purchased than tinned. And blends vary a bit from batch to batch, year to year. But why would any producer making a ton of a particular blend go through the added expense of making it in a different way because of how it is enclosed?

Blends might taste a little different depending on the conditions under which they were stored prior to consumption, as in the case of bulk sometimes being a little drier when purchased than tinned. And blends vary a bit from batch to batch, year to year. But why would any producer making a ton of a particular blend go through the added expense of making it in a different way because of how it is enclosed?
I have no idea why, but Brian has at least two episodes on the radioshow where they discuss bulk v tins, one I believe with the blender. Most don't have a difference, but I can't remember all that were listed, but the one that stuck out to me were the Dunhills. There was definitely a differences as backed by the company. If this is a concern for someone, they might go through the shows and check it out.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I enjoy both tins and pouches. If it's a blend I like I dont care how its packaged unless it's an stupid amount of plastic used. Single use plastic is a consern of mine just for earth sustainability, so I try to make an effort to reduce my use of it.

But that being said as also a cigarette smoker I swear that soft packs taste diffrent than hard packs.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Motzek/Tabak aus Kiel sells their blends in what amounts to plastic baggies. Some of those blends are great and considerably cheaper (and comparable if not better) than more expensive tobacco in tins.
I've been told that some brands are moving to pouches because of the warning label requirements.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It varies, but many blends come only in pouches or only in tins. PC Midtown used to come only in tubs, but now comes also in bulk baggies, so you can sample before buying a tub, or just enjoy in baggie form. I was intrigued/saddened when the classic old Kentucky rough cut burley Granger did away with their foil pouches and now sells only tubs. I think pouches are often thought of as cheaper hence a lower grade of tobacco, but I think that is only sometimes true, and usually not. chasing' got us all to reconsider Mixture No. 79, and won some adherents; I enjoy it. I guess my current take-home lesson is, if you are at all interested in a pouch tobacco, give it a try. You could be missing something good and they are moderately priced.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It varies, but many blends come only in pouches or only in tins. PC Midtown used to come only in tubs, but now comes also in bulk baggies, so you can sample before buying a tub, or just enjoy in baggie form. I was intrigued/saddened when the classic old Kentucky rough cut burley Granger did away with their foil pouches and now sells only tubs. I think pouches are often thought of as cheaper hence a lower grade of tobacco, but I think that is only sometimes true, and usually not. chasing' got us all to reconsider Mixture No. 79, and won some adherents; I enjoy it. I guess my current take-home lesson is, if you are at all interested in a pouch tobacco, give it a try. You could be missing something good and they are moderately priced.

This is the only reason I have yet to try Granger. 12oz is effectively a lifetime supply of any one blend at the rate I smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.